OneGigant

Low cost solution for high quality live view monitor

I have 6 IP cams from HikVision, really happy about them. I only need them for live view monitoring of rooms, no recording, no motion detections, nothing fancy. They are connected using Ethernet, no WiFi.

I am looking for a reliable and easy to use solution to view these 6 cameras on a 22"-24" 1080p monitor. Until now I am using my high spec PC with i7 CPU, but I want a standalone and cheaper solution. Decoding h.264 streams uses a lot of computer power, MJPEG would be better considering bandwidth is no problem on my LAN; but MJPEG is not able to carry audio.

What are my options?

* I can buy a standard NVR without a HDD, and connect to the monitor

* I read about Google chromecast, but is this able to decode 6 simultaneous 1080p streams?

* HikVision recently released an 22" LCD monitor with built in NVR, but this is too expensive, I can buy a decent i5 computer for that price

http://www.unifore.net/product-highlights/hikvision-released-nvr-with-lcd-monitor-ds-7600ni-e1-a.html

Tips, suggestions?

I haven't tried this but it looks promising as software to drive it:

https://wiki.videolan.org/Mosaic

You need something to run it, but VLC is on lots of platforms. I have no idea whether something like a Raspberry pi could keep up or not, but if it would, that would be a great solution. A lot might depend on what frame rate you require.

Most of the products (Blue Iris, Xeoma, Protect Go, Axxon) all can turn off recording, and give various modes of display. All have free trial versions so you can take for a test drive and try some various hardware to see which can manage your data rate with the least resources.

I think you can Search & Find a standalone NVR that can match to your IP cameras. The NVR must be able to decode all incoming compressed bit streams of 6 Ch X 30 FPS.

I think you can Search & Find a standalone NVR that can match to your IP cameras. The NVR must be able to decode all incoming compressed bit streams of 6 Ch X 30 FPS.

That's probably ideal, but (most? all?) of the Hikvision IP cameras allow the frame rate to be set lower. If low cost/power is important the two best things you can do to reduce computing power requirements are lower resolution and lower frame rate. For most applications the latter has much less impact on usability. It will make motion jerky however as you drop below, say, 20 or so.

Oh I see, Linwood. It could be a good idea to wait till "Boogieman" around here finds a right solution for you.

You seem to have picked a very tough title, for experts to comment, 6 ch X 1080P X 30FPS, a realtime decoding NVR. May not be easy to find, I guess I know the reason why., but I can not tell you at this moment.

But I remember couple of threads, recently in this forum, introducing NVSS6XXXX, based on Intel Celeron core, claiming 9 Ch Decoding Standalone NVR. Pricing was U$450, if my memory is correct. Please get it in this forum.

Oh I see, Linwood. It could be a good idea to wait till "Boogieman" around here finds a right solution for you.

I apologize if I have confused -- I am not the original poster.

I apologize if I have confused -- I am not the original poster.

In his attempt to somehow trash me, Sunny's reading comprehension has disappeared. Please forgive him, he uses an online translator...I for one am surprised that sunny did not recommend ripping the whole system out and replacing with D1 analog because it superior to 3mp ip cams

As far as the op, NVR is the cheapest and most stable route..another option is fire tv or another WIRED android box..

I am worried about the heat dissipation and noise production of an HikVision NVR; it should be turned on 10-12 hours a day

I am worried about the heat dissipation and noise production of an HikVision NVR; it should be turned on 10-12 hours a day

There are some verital NVR's that make less noise..http://www2.ltsecurityinc.com/en_us/product/1115.html

Or just use an android box...

You seem to have picked a very tough title, for experts to comment, 6 ch X 1080P X 30FPS, a realtime decoding NVR. May not be easy to find, I guess I know the reason why., but I can not tell you at this moment.

But I remember couple of threads, recently in this forum, introducing NVSS6XXXX, based on Intel Celeron core, claiming 9 Ch Decoding Standalone NVR. Pricing was U$450, if my memory is correct. Please get it in this forum.

I got it for you. Please try it and post whether you like it or not !!!

viewtopic.php?f=19&t=46632&hilit=nvss