busaisbetter

security camera from costco

I need a security camera for my house (not pre wired). How are systems sold at stores like Costco. Please provide your recommendation. I am also looking for camera to be put in car; that will turn on with the car.

Do you guys recommend a company that can install home security system.

Thank You

For general home use, most of the Costco systems are great. Your budget is also right on target for a decent system. It really boils down to the type of cameras you'd like to use. Stay away from any analog stuff (your budget should easily allow for an 8 camera NVR system).

I bought a Q-See system from Costco a few weeks back when it was on sale.

It has 8 4mp cams (QCN8026B) and NVR QC8816.

All the cams are 3.6mm lens so depending on what areas you need to cover you might need different lens.

I haven't had any problems other than understanding a few things which were answered by phone or Q-See support.

The Q-See system is a rebranded Dahua which is a reputable company. I would strongly suggested using Dahua cams if you add to your system to make things easier to set up.

Like Mr. Cyanide said it is a good system for your budget..

Hardware kits from Costco, etc.

They’re typically just fine for residential. For businesses (especially more industrial), I seem to replace them now and then with more rubust ones. But for a house….should be great.

For the Arizona sun, I’m finding that I’m replacing some of the store-bought cameras (the larger Hikvision bullets do well in the heat). But few places in the world have 118 degrees in the shade.

Other natural predators to cameras are water and icy-cold. For the water, look for “IP66” rating on the camera.

Kit – cables

They’ll give you a few bundles of cables (such as eight 100’ cables for eight cams). This will mean your cams near your NVR will have extra and for your far-away cams, you’ll buy a little more cable. But that’s simply the nature of the kit.

IP vs analog vs high-def-analog

For new installs in 2015, definitely go with IP

The 3MP systems looks fantastic!

The 2MP systems look nice, but I’ve been doing 3MP for most everybody this year (and this month everybody’s talking 4MP)

Who you buy from

Well, Costco really can’t be beat. It don’t work (or you don’t like it)…return it.

On the down side, if one part of it goes out, it means either working with the manufacturer to get the single part replaced, or take the whole system down and take it back to the store.

POE

The power over Ethernet really simplifies the install and I go with POE when I can.

Boogieman’s post (linked above)

+1

IP vs analog vs high-def-analog

For new installs in 2015, definitely go with IP

The 3MP systems looks fantastic!

The 2MP systems look nice, but I’ve been doing 3MP for most everybody this year (and this month everybody’s talking 4MP)

One point of clarification...there is very little increase in actual clarity as measured in pixels per foot between 2mp and 3mp...most of the extra resolution goes to the extra vertical viewing area....the 2mp will perform better in low light..

I'm curious about something you mentioned boogieman.........

"The 2mp will perform better in low light."

Does that mean if I schedule my Dahua 4mp cams to record at 2mp at night the video will look better...?

I'm guessing it's not that simple because it probably depends on the cam itself. Hmm. I've got a lot to learn here..

Any help to straighten the learning curve is appreciated...

Does that mean if I schedule my Dahua 4mp cams to record at 2mp at night the video will look better...?

I'm guessing it's not that simple because it probably depends on the cam itself. Hmm. I've got a lot to learn here..

You are correct..the camera has to be a native 2mp camera...running a 4mp camera in 2mp mode will not help...

Some of the new hikvision 4mp cameras have improved night..not sure about the new dahuas.

You are correct..the camera has to be a native 2mp camera...running a 4mp camera in 2mp mode will not help...

Some of the new hikvision 4mp cameras have improved night..not sure about the new dahuas.

Thanks for explaining that. After reading about system compatibility among different cameras I think I'm going to use Dahuas for this Q-See system.

they are rebranded dahua products. but I like hikvsion more. easier to use. dahua nvr you can't delete 888888 and 666666 accounts in the nvr. I don't know about the one in Costco.

The Costco system has that 666666 account on the Q-See (Dahua) system also that I couldn't delete. There might be a way to do it if I call support.