ljw2k

NEW Hikvision DS-2CD2042WD-I 4 MP to replace 2032 3mp

NEW Hikvision DS-2CD2042WD-I 4 MP to replace 2032 3mp

Anyone got this camera yet as I am wondering if it would be a worth while upgrade from my older but trustworthy 2032's 3mp

http://www.aliexpress.com/item/free-shipping-with-DHL-shipping-hikvision-english-version-DS-2CD2042WD-I-4MP-IR-Bullet-Network-Camera/32372900699.html

The low light performance of the 4mp is much improved...go with the 4mp turret not the bullet..better IR, and less prone to spider problems.

I have pretty good street lighting outside my property so I wouldn't think I would benefit the excellent EXIR sensors , I would be more concerned about what difference the image would be 3mp vs 4mp as I have a screen to support the resolution.

275562_1.jpg

Is you camera running in night mode with IR? if it is you will certainly benefit from the exir, because it less susceptible from spiderweb interference. It is also more vandal proof.

The 4mp has improved low light performance - this is a new development as in the past higher resolution generally meant lower low light performance.

Your screen resolution is irrelevant...the benefit of higher resolution cameras is that that you get more detail when you zoom in. There is very little actual pixel density benefit when going from 3mp to 4mp though..the primary benefit is the low light improvement.

Hi many thanks and I do not use IR at night and usually leave on day mode as lighting is very good in the street.

Interesting about the resolution in screens surely if viewed on a 4k screen would be better than on a standard 720 screen where if the screen was large enough ( Mine is 55" ) you would get the chicken wire effect and see individual pixels if close enough.

Hi many thanks and I do not use IR at night and usually leave on day mode as lighting is very good in the street.

Interesting about the resolution in screens surely if viewed on a 4k screen would be better than on a standard 720 screen where if the screen was large enough ( Mine is 55" ) you would get the chicken wire effect and see individual pixels if close enough.

The point is you dont need a 4k screen to take advantage of higher resolution cameras.

Got it. Got a new DS-7608 recorder, too.

But can't connect cameras.

After connecting chows "offline (parameter error)"

What a .f. is it?

Tried wit default camera settings; tried preset username/password. Don't works.

Your screen resolution is irrelevant...the benefit of higher resolution cameras is that that you get more detail when you zoom in. There is very little actual pixel density benefit when going from 3mp to 4mp though..the primary benefit is the low light improvement.

Am i right in saying that most 3/4 megapixel cameras display live video as 1080p which is approx 2 megapixels? Thus as you say makes the additional pixels over 2 mega only useful for zooming in?

Am i right in saying that most 3/4 megapixel cameras display live video as 1080p which is approx 2 megapixels? Thus as you say makes the additional pixels over 2 mega only useful for zooming in?

Or if you display on a monitor greater than 1080p...but yes...however, that is the whole point, you dont need lots of resolution for live video, the high res is important when reviewing video.

Even 1080p cameras doent display at 1080p unless the camera you are viewing is displayed full screen which is not likely. Does that mean D1 resolution is fine? NO.

The 4mp also have improved low light performance.

Note that hikvison 3mp do not produce a significanty clearer image than their 1080p cameras as the extra resolution goes to give the camera more vertical field of view.

Got it. Got a new DS-7608 recorder, too.

But can't connect cameras.

After connecting chows "offline (parameter error)"

What a .f. is it?

Tried wit default camera settings; tried preset username/password. Don't works.

Have you activated the cameras?

Does the DS-7608 support 4mp? It only shows 5mp, 3mp and 2mp as supported resolutions.

I would imagine that the 4mp would be much better in detail and provide more clarity. But remember that more megapixel doesn't always mean quality.

Regradless, it comes down to if you want to spend that much more money.

Also to note, the new cameras will use up much more hard drive space, and require more bandwidth.

So the expense of new cameras, vs a good reliable system you have is more in factor. Since you have working HD cameras as is, your quality for the money probably wont be worth it, unless you have extra cash to spend.

Best of luck on your decision.