narinesa

IP Camera Wiring on Cat6

I have an IP PTZ 2mp camera and cat6 cable - not using poe because the distance is 300 feet

1. How many IP PTZ camera can I get using one cat6 cable and what are the pins layout

2. How many IP PTZ cameras can I run on one cat6 cable using adapters (ip balun)

I understand that:

A video balun is only for analog video (or ip without ptz - no control)

An IP balun is for both video and ptz control but uses only one pair of cat6

Removing old coax cable and running cat6.

Didn't have much luck with power adapters and 2mp cameras - slow communication

I think you may need to read up on this a bit more before moving forward. What cameras are you planning to use? A large portion of the IP PTZ's on the market allow PTZ control thru the network connection. I can only guess based on what you are saying that your camera has an external RS-485 PTZ control is that correct? If so, that needs to be a separate wire (usually a single pair, I prefer to use 18/2) going to the camera.

Oh and there is no such thing as an IP balun. A balun is used to move analog signals across twisted pair wiring. You could use 4 ANALOG cameras with a single piece of cat-6, but each would have it's own pair of baluns (one for each end of the wire).

IP cameras do not use a separate RS485 that I am aware of.

Yes the PTZ function operates via the network

The network keyboard controller is connected to network via a cat5 plus power - no rs485

It works with just a cat5 cable connected or cat 5 plus external power.

There may not be an IP balun but it is probable called an Ethernet balun that allows duplex communication - camera video and ptz control

Yes, analog cameras uses only one pair of wire for video (but I don't have any analog). I think that I have to use (the cat5) one pair for video and one pair for ptz communication via the network

IP cameras do not use a separate RS485 that I am aware of.

Yes the PTZ function operates via the network

The network keyboard controller is connected to network via a cat5 plus power - no rs485

It works with just a cat5 cable connected or cat 5 plus external power.

There may not be an IP balun but it is probable called an Ethernet balun that allows duplex communication - camera video and ptz control

Yes, analog cameras uses only one pair of wire for video (but I don't have any analog). I think that I have to use (the cat5) one pair for video and one pair for ptz communication via the network

You are not understanding how ip works. There is no separate pair for data and ptz communications. Its is always best practice to use 1 cable for each camera...If you are doing a new install, run one cable for each camera, with the proper rj45 jack on the end.

technically though the cameras require only two pairs for the network connection as they are not gigabit.

Here is my understanding of IP cameras and cat5:

IP needs 2 pairs of wire to communicate with the NVR

The camera uses one pair to talk to the NVR wire #1 and #2

The NVR uses another pair to talk to the camera wire #3 and #6

This is called full duplex - to control the ptz on a network

POE (power over Ethernet) uses 4-5 and 7-8

But I choose external (local) power due to blower, IR lamps and distance of 300 feet.

I am thinking that if, I am correct, I use IP balun or Ethernet balun with full duplex communication, I can get 4 cameras on a single cat5 with network ptz control.

Here is my understanding of IP cameras and cat5:

IP needs 2 pairs of wire to communicate with the NVR

The camera uses one pair to talk to the NVR wire #1 and #2

The NVR uses another pair to talk to the camera wire #3 and #6

This is called full duplex - to control the ptz on a network

POE (power over Ethernet) uses 4-5 and 7-8

But I choose external (local) power due to blower, IR lamps and distance of 300 feet.

I am thinking that if, I am correct, I use IP balun or Ethernet balun with full duplex communication, I can get 4 cameras on a single cat5 with network ptz control.

No, that is not correct. You will need two pair for each camera.

Also depending on the mode, poe can travel on the sames pairs as the data (mode a)...

Regardless, this is a TERRIBLE idea. Run a separate cable for each camera. Cable is cheap, having issues because of cross-talk, improper crimps, etc is much more expensive.

If you need to connect more cameras on the same cable, add a network switch at the camera end of the cable, then a gigabit network connection could support dozens of cameras.

Agree with your statement.

A future plan.

For now:

I plan to use 2 cameras on the cat6 cable without any adapters or switch.

2 pairs for each camera. No PoE planned.

Just create a special cable pins to relocate the second 2 pairs from PoE to camera.

A future plan.

For now:

Just create a special cable pins to relocate the second 2 pairs from PoE to camera.

Why are you doing this? to save a few dollars on cable or switch?

A future plan.

For now:

Just pull two cables. In fact pull three. Cable is cheap. I don't even know if a switch would/could deal with two separate cameras and IP addresses coming down the same cable.

For now:

Basic networking 101

A switch at the remote location, then connect however many network devices you want. 2 or 102...that's the very design of the switch and it only comes down to throughput/performance.

It does sound like a terrible idea to use the CAT6 for something that is not its design...divvying up the 4 pairs for solely 2 network connections.

Especially when a simple $6 switch at the remote location is the obvious answer. No mess with crosstalk and no issues when somebody else has to look at it later to figure out what happened.

Seems like making extra work for yourself now and also down the road.

Edited by Guest