corviarbob

h.264 network dvr question

i got this h.264 network dvr and set it up and i figured all was well it had the cameras on the monitor and i was happy, then the other day i wanted to go back and look at something and i found out i had not recordings saved. i set it up to save but then i went to hardware and found the dive shows error. i rebooted it and the drive said good and i have video to see. then a day later i tried again and the same thing error. so can anyone help me figure this out.

also it will not let me save a password it says default is NULL but even if i do it wrong and click on go more than once it will go past the log on and to the settings.

so can i just put a different operating program on this unit or am i stuck and need to get another one? thanks bp.

format the drive and check again. if it still happens, we suppose system of dvr is faulty. but to confirm it, you may need get another drive to test.

i have tried 4 different hard drives and none of them would work. so i installed a small 16gb solid state drive and it took off and formatted it and has been working. so it looks like the dvr may be find just the hard drives are not working in the unit. i don't understand why they will not work. in my destop they work fine. i formatted them in the desktop and took them out and installed in the dvr but the dvr did not take them. thanks

PC formatting is different than security DVR formatting. Also, DVR's require a different type hard-drive than PC's. DVR's also have a size limit on the drive that they will accept. More info about yours would help. h264 is a compression type and not a model number. Really doesn't mean anything in regard to troubleshooting, except that is a newer type.

best i can do is this 16CH Channel CCTV 2CHD1 HDMI Network Realtime Security 3G WIFI video DVR system i found this number on the box there is nothing on the machine. model 1:dvr-v1416d h.264 compression einvov .

the seller said a computer hard drive would work but i have discovered the dvr drives are designed for 24-7 run time. computer drives are not made for that abuse i guess. but none of the hard drives will work in the dvr. the drive i had in it did come out of my desktop and the dvr formatted it the first time i booted it up. it would not do that for the other drives but the ssd i put in from a chrome book reformatted first time and is now running in it. it is a 16gb drive and it gives me 6 hours with 8 camera on it. i don't need months of storage so i'm thinking of a 250 gb ssd drive. if there is a way to get the drives i have now running in it i can use them unitl i get a new ssd. thanks.

This sounds like an LX series DVR.

If replacing the HDD is not helping then it's actually more likely to be the PSU. I've seen these DVR's before and essentially the PSU is giving out enough for the board but not for the Drive. Swap the PSU for a 12v 4a supply and it'll most likely work fine.

Ref the password the default password is nothing at all(NULL/No entry), it can be changed via the recorders account menu under Main Menu -> Advanced -> Account -> Modify PW leave the old password box blank and just change it to something you prefer.

Thats actually highly recommended, I been seeing alot of people's DVR's being mucked about with if left on default log in details lately.

This sounds like an LX series DVR.

If replacing the HDD is not helping then it's actually more likely to be the PSU. I've seen these DVR's before and essentially the PSU is giving out enough for the board but not for the Drive. Swap the PSU for a 12v 4a supply and it'll most likely work fine.

Ref the password the default password is nothing at all(NULL/No entry), it can be changed via the recorders account menu under Main Menu -> Advanced -> Account -> Modify PW leave the old password box blank and just change it to something you prefer.

Thats actually highly recommended, I been seeing alot of people's DVR's being mucked about with if left on default log in details lately.

you say psu which i figure is the power supply unit but that is not a separate board on my dvr and it powers the one hard drive for a short time and the drive is spinning. the other drives spin also but will not initialize so that part then i don't understand. if it has power to spin but not record. on the old drive i hear the heads moving to position but not the new drives to the unit.

i have tried the procedure you say to change my pass word but it never lets me change it. and my unit is not on the wyfy. my wyfy does not even see it. but i guess some other wyfy may be able to see it. so i will try once more to change that one.

but don't know how to go about changing out the power supply being it is not a separate board.

ok i took off the cover and i don't actually have a separate board for the power supply. i did manage to make a new account for me but the admin and a second one are still there is it ok to delete these accounts and if i do will i still have total access to all features? when i added my name for the 3rd asccount i checked the top box and then all the boxes below that checked as well, i figured that gave me total control but when i went to do something i have the admin come up and aske for a password.

also i just ordered a 1tb surveillance hard drive and i'm hoping it will plug in and the unit will either accept it or ask to format it and then run if not i may be back asking for help with that.

and it came with numbers in the WiFi section but it never let me see it on the WiFi i don't even see it in the network. that is not going to be a big issue with me but may be some of the things that are not allowing the hard drives to be accepted?

with the 16gb ssd i get 8 hours on 8 camera running 24 hour i guess i can configure them for motion but i did that once and the next power failure it went to default and i just did not feel like re-tuning it. i had plenty of disk space.

tell me the usb slot in front of the unit is that for grabbing a section of recording for the cops if i ever needed to do that? if so i will practice doing that. thanks