Sign in to follow this  
JoshNZ

GE Security DR-1500 no signal

I have been given a CCTV camera a friend retrieved doing a renovation for a company in town and was wondering first of all if it goes, and what I can do with it.

It is a GE Security camera, Model# DR-1500-VFA3-SBB. I have looked through the very brief manual and done my best to figure it out. The PCB has 4 pin connectors, Power+, Power-, Vout, and Vground. Also 2 sets of jumpers which configure UTP module mode, and normal coax mode (currently configured for the latter) I have determined from the manual it either wants 12VDC or 24AC which I can do with a 12VDC power supply here. The video pins I am not so sure about. I have read it should be a normal NTSC signal so I have clipped one end of an RCA cable and connected the core to Vout and the ground to Vground, and the other end to an RCA input on a TV. Once powered up this does nothing. So my question I guess is, should this work? Is it that simple?

Would there be any way to determine if the unit is powered up and running without seeing a video signal? (No access to an OScope or anything here ). My buddy isn't sure why he was asked to remove the camera so it may well be broken.

Is there anything else I can try to determine if it is usable?

Many thanks in advance!

Josh

Hi JoshNZ.

Yeah, it should work fine through your TV.

The manual for your camera is here:

https://www.google.co.nz/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=5&ved=0CDIQFjAEahUKEwjGxKvQ6NzHAhWhG6YKHbSIBrs&url=http%3A%2F%2Fpdfstream.manualsonline.com%2F8%2F8ead7175-2659-43cc-b714-ed0193b49ca9.pdf&usg=AFQjCNH3wfqE44RsF3gZVxEYuu60fvpPvg

The connection details are on page 15. Is this the one you're looking at?

You might need to check the UTP jumpers. The jumpers must be connected.

The UTP thing is for Unshielded Twisted Pair (Cat5E or Cat6 wire). It's no good unless you have the optional module described in the manual, so stick with coax.

UTP is excellent for long distances, but you need a balun at each end.

That is the manual I've been looking at. The jumpers are definitely connected and I have checked I have voltage on the circuit board. Still nothing on AV1 on the TV.

I guess it broke and that's why it's here?