My05stang

Is it out of date and worth fixing?

Hello, this is my first post and I think this is the best spot to put it but if not please feel free to move it admin

So here is what I'm up against. I work for a company that has a gas station with a 12-15 year old Pelco DX8116-500. Recently it wont stay on, I have to unplug the unit from the wall and plug it back in to get it to start then to get the monitor to come up I have to unplug it from the unit and plug it back in. Some times it runs for days other times just an hour. I think its probably the power supply but with the monitor thing, it could be the video card possibly. My question is , is it worth it to fix this thing. I think our Security company that installed it went pretty overkill for the system and It was not cheap. I have already had 2 HDD fail on it in the last 3 years so now its got a 2T HDD

Next Question, The manager of the gas station recently was at my facility where I just installed a new Alibi Camera system and was amazed at the price and the picture quality. She was wondering if we do keep the pelco System what is the possibility for upgrading cameras. Currently they are all Coaxial cables. I was looking at a cameras on the website where I got my system. They have a 2.1 megapixel HD-TVI camera that is has the BNC connection but am not sure if it is compatible with the system. How do I know.? Unsure about forum rules so did not post a like to the camera in question but I can if need be and its ok to do so.

Im not super wise to this stuff so any help is appreciated. I know just enough to hurt myself. I found out sometimes its better to just got to work and look pretty rather then go for extra credit. After I installed my cameras myself and saved the company thousand and thousands over what the other guy was charging I started getting calls from other location..... maybe in need to invoice them

Thanks for your time everyone, looking forward to hearing from you all

Michael

Hello, this is my first post and I think this is the best spot to put it but if not please feel free to move it admin

So here is what I'm up against. I work for a company that has a gas station with a 12-15 year old Pelco DX8116-500. Recently it wont stay on, I have to unplug the unit from the wall and plug it back in to get it to start then to get the monitor to come up I have to unplug it from the unit and plug it back in. Some times it runs for days other times just an hour. I think its probably the power supply but with the monitor thing, it could be the video card possibly. My question is , is it worth it to fix this thing. I think our Security company that installed it went pretty overkill for the system and It was not cheap. I have already had 2 HDD fail on it in the last 3 years so now its got a 2T HDD

Next Question, The manager of the gas station recently was at my facility where I just installed a new Alibi Camera system and was amazed at the price and the picture quality. She was wondering if we do keep the pelco System what is the possibility for upgrading cameras. Currently they are all Coaxial cables. I was looking at a cameras on the website where I got my system. They have a 2.1 megapixel HD-TVI camera that is has the BNC connection but am not sure if it is compatible with the system. How do I know.? Unsure about forum rules so did not post a like to the camera in question but I can if need be and its ok to do so.

Im not super wise to this stuff so any help is appreciated. I know just enough to hurt myself. I found out sometimes its better to just got to work and look pretty rather then go for extra credit. After I installed my cameras myself and saved the company thousand and thousands over what the other guy was charging I started getting calls from other location..... maybe in need to invoice them

Thanks for your time everyone, looking forward to hearing from you all

Michael

Toss it in the trash...if you want to upgrade the system to tvi so that you can reuse your old cable you will need both new cameras and a tvi DVR...these are relatively cheap..look at hikvision TVI systems.

You can get a 16ch tvi dvr for under 250 and the cameras are about 50-120 depending on design and features...if you dont mind running ethernet, which should be easy on an open space like a gas station, an ip system like this may suit your needs.

http://www.costco.com/Q-See-16-Channel-IP-NVR-with-3TB-HDD%2c-12-3MP-Cameras-with-100'-Night-Vision.product.100220054.html

Mystang, Good Job you Did.

The system could be 16 Ch CIF Based Recording, as you say 15 years old stuff and video card or something. The video resolution seems to be outdated as Too Small in a current CCTV trend. The cameras must be all analog NTSC or PAL cameras. You can, for sure, have the D1 or 960H resolution(4 times of CIF resolution) for each camera.

Save all cameras working. Those seem to be good ones, no trouble for the last 15 years. Save all HDDs working, good if powered enough.

Buy a new stand alone DVR (WD1 or 960H : Recording and Preview X 16 CHX 30FPS Realtime). It could be less than U$ 200, please check them out on internet.

If you go for HD-TVI type, you can enjoy a lot better resolution. But you need to buy new cameras and new DVR and HDDS: The DVR could be expensive. I do not think there is any product, capable of FHD(1080P)-16Ch X 30FPS each Recording / and Previewing/ Playbacking, 16Ch simultaenously. There are some DVRs limited to Playbacking 4 Channels at a time, while recording 16 Ch. It's upto you.

Wow now I feel I may have over spent on the 8 camera system I got for $3500 lol. I think that My boss is going to laugh me out of his office if i propose a $1300 system to replace the current $25,000+ system.... Like I said the company that was doing our cameras was taking us for a ride.... Shoot the system he put at my facility 6 years ago was a 4 camera setup with a clunky Samsung DVR was over $5000 installed.

Anyway you guys have peaked my interest in these cheaper setups. I was looking at this NVR ALI-NVR5016P. Its the one I have installed at my facility only this is the 16CH and mine is the 8CH. The cameras I am using are ALI-IPU3030RV. All my stuff is outdoor and covering a large area thats why I went a more expensive camera. With the gas station project there are going to be 6 Interior cameras and 8 cameras out on the gas pumps. Currently one camera looks over each island and one camera is set zoomed in to get plate numbers. I am thinking with the better resolution I could eliminate 3-4 cameras as the cameras that overlook the islands might have the resolution to grab plates. I am not opposed to pulling Ethernet as it is what I have installed and feel a bit more confident with but the cameras in the islands are a bit intimidating with having to get 8 cables out there and each one being 250 feet.

I am not opposed to going with a different companies NVR. The main reason I was going to go with the alibi NVR was to keep thing simplified as all the locations I do would run the same setup. That being said if this stuff is over priced for what features they have then by all means let me know and I will look at the cheaper stuff. I have already told the boss lady the system would probably be in the $5-6K range and she was over the moon happy it wasnt $25K but If I can get the same quality for under $2,000 maybe i will get a big pat on the back and lunch!!

thanks again

michael

Wow now I feel I may have over spent on the 8 camera system I got for $3500 lol. I think that My boss is going to laugh me out of his office if i propose a $1300 system to replace the current $25,000+ system.... Like I said the company that was doing our cameras was taking us for a ride.... Shoot the system he put at my facility 6 years ago was a 4 camera setup with a clunky Samsung DVR was over $5000 installed.

thanks again

michael

It was a Space Science, a decade ago. Not now any longer. Commodities for LockSmith.