don_merdjan

Help with my first design

Hi there,

My name is Don and I would love to get your opinion/help on my first system design.

Project is for a house and a horse barn with the following details:

-- Each location gets 8xIP cameras, total of 16

-- Should I have two separate DVRs or one central (the two buildings are 100ft apart and will be connected)

-- Options to add few more cameras

-- Options to receive alarm/push notifications on a smartphone upon event triggers

-- Total budget is around $10K

So far I have looked at

-- Avigilon - too expensive and goes over budget

-- Axis - also expensive and no ONVIF support. They said it will be in the next release of their Station Software

-- Lorex - seems too cheap and not many reviews online.

I guess my struggle is where to start - cameras; software; NVR. I think the most important piece is the software, since it will manage the cameras and allow for updates; added features, etc. So I guess once I find a good software, I can build from there, but I might be wrong.

I will highly appreciate your opinions.

Thanks,

Don

Hi there,

My name is Don and I would love to get your opinion/help on my first system design.

Project is for a house and a horse barn with the following details:

-- Each location gets 8xIP cameras, total of 16

-- Should I have two separate DVRs or one central (the two buildings are 100ft apart and will be connected)

-- Options to add few more cameras

-- Options to receive alarm/push notifications on a smartphone upon event triggers

-- Total budget is around $10K

So far I have looked at

-- Avigilon - too expensive and goes over budget

-- Axis - also expensive and no ONVIF support. They said it will be in the next release of their Station Software

-- Lorex - seems too cheap and not many reviews online.

I guess my struggle is where to start - cameras; software; NVR. I think the most important piece is the software, since it will manage the cameras and allow for updates; added features, etc. So I guess once I find a good software, I can build from there, but I might be wrong.

I will highly appreciate your opinions.

Thanks,

Don

You have a large budget to work with. You can get good quality ip cameras for about 150 with full 3 year warranty, the new hikvision 2mp or hikvision 4mp cameras are a good place to start. That leaves you with 7600 for a software pc, poe switch materials and installation..i think you can easily do avigilon vms with hikvison cameras.

If you simply want a plug and play system, this is a rebranded dahua product.

http://www.costco.com/Q-See-16-Channel-IP-NVR-with-3TB-HDD%2c-8-4MP-Cameras-with-100'-Night-Vision.product.100213199.html

You have a large budget to work with. You can get good quality ip cameras for about 150 with full 3 year warranty, the new hikvision 2mp or hikvision 4mp cameras are a good place to start. That leaves you with 7600 for a software pc, poe switch materials and installation..i think you can easily do avigilon vms with hikvison cameras.

http://www.costco.com/Q-See-16-Channel-IP-NVR-with-3TB-HDD%2c-8-4MP-Cameras-with-100'-Night-Vision.product.100213199.html

Thanks Boogieman. I will take your note. I am a little reserved about the Q-See though.

I've had experience in the past with Avigilon and cannot hide that I was very impressed. So you might be onto something regarding using their software and use different brand cameras.

Thanks Boogieman. I will take your note. I am a little reserved about the Q-See though.

I've had experience in the past with Avigilon and cannot hide that I was very impressed. So you might be onto something regarding using their software and use different brand cameras.

If you like avigilon stick with it. a dell business optiplex i7-4790 haswell can be had for 500 with a 3 year next business day warranty. Here is another great option

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Lenovo-ThinkServer-TS140-5U-Tower-Server-Intel-Xeon-E3-4GB-DDR3-500GB-HDD/291140796467?customid=5894133dc96347819956ba3efe4f2b35&pub=5574652453&afepn=5337259887&campid=5337259887&afepn=5337259887&rmvSB=true

Hikvision is a popular brand to use with avigilon..there are several avigilon dealers on the site that can help you.