kozakii

Milestone XProtect Go Web View Pixelated

I have 4 hikvision cameras hooked up to a xeon server running XProtect Go. When I try to view the cameras from the web client, the video is pixelated on most cameras but intermittently clears out before getting pixelated again(see attachment). I have a 50/10 cable internet connection and and trying to view from connections equal to or better than the home connection. The interesting thing is when I VPN into the server and view using the desktop app, the image quality is perfect. The video wasnt always pixelated but it started about a month or two ago and I've been trying to figure it out ever since.

Is Comcast throttling the port I'm using or doing some other shaping or is there a configuration that I'm missing?

Thanks for the help!

1782029998_ScreenShot2015-09-21at3_44_46PM.png.ced79fdefa40656c0492e32ffcfe77bc.png

I don't have experience with Hikvision, but by chance, is the camera's bit rate set to VBR?

On my Dahua, when I set it to VBR, I'll notice the picture quality will drop substantially at random, then jump back up to better quality. I leave the cameras on CBR to avoid the problem.

I hope this helps.

I've only seen this when I'm not getting enough bandwidth. You can always test out the web view internally on your network and see if it ever gets pixelated on your own network. This would rule out the internet connection if it does it then also. I've had this happen to me even with the mobile client, but usually it's a problem with the network or wireless connection. It has nothing to do with the camera as Milestone transcodes the video to try to optimize the video for the bandwidth the client has. I can dig around in my settings and see if there's anything else I can find, but you could always try changing the port and see if anything changes. Also, are you using HTTP or HTTPS? HTTPS will add some overhead as everything is encrypted, but it shouldn't slow down enough to notice I wouldn't think.

Michael

I don't have experience with Hikvision, but by chance, is the camera's bit rate set to VBR?

On my Dahua, when I set it to VBR, I'll notice the picture quality will drop substantially at random, then jump back up to better quality. I leave the cameras on CBR to avoid the problem.

I hope this helps.

Yes, the cameras are set to variable by default. I've changed it to constant and will test it out on Monday. Thanks!

Unfortunately, CBR didn't help.

Edited by Guest

I've only seen this when I'm not getting enough bandwidth. You can always test out the web view internally on your network and see if it ever gets pixelated on your own network. This would rule out the internet connection if it does it then also. I've had this happen to me even with the mobile client, but usually it's a problem with the network or wireless connection. It has nothing to do with the camera as Milestone transcodes the video to try to optimize the video for the bandwidth the client has. I can dig around in my settings and see if there's anything else I can find, but you could always try changing the port and see if anything changes. Also, are you using HTTP or HTTPS? HTTPS will add some overhead as everything is encrypted, but it shouldn't slow down enough to notice I wouldn't think.

Michael

I'm using http and when viewed locally, there is no pixelation. I'll try changing the port to see if that helps.