Sign in to follow this  
jperezmvp

Moving on from ahd (hd-tvi) to ip cameras

My dad and I have a small business and we install cameras. My dad at 69 is still going strong with installs and I've learned everything from him the past year in a half. He doesn't want to deal with IP POE cameras he says if your internet goes down your system goes down and he insists on us running siamese cables or Cat5e with baluns. I don't know much about poe or ip cameras installs; can someone tell me the benefits? Right now we use Tri brid DVR's http://www.acegearpro.com/ProductView/tabid/272/p/DVR-HDTVI08-HYB/ProductID/1294/CategoryID/319/Default.aspx and HD-tvi cameras 720 or 1080p and they look very good and price is reasonable. People have been asking about POE can anyone direct me to a site or somewhere on the internet where I can find out more about these and educate myself on installation. Thank you for your help.

My dad and I have a small business and we install cameras. My dad at 69 is still going strong with installs and I've learned everything from him the past year in a half. He doesn't want to deal with IP POE cameras he says if your internet goes down your system goes down and he insists on us running siamese cables or Cat5e with baluns. I don't know much about poe or ip cameras installs; can someone tell me the benefits? Right now we use Tri brid DVR's http://www.acegearpro.com/ProductView/tabid/272/p/DVR-HDTVI08-HYB/ProductID/1294/CategoryID/319/Default.aspx and HD-tvi cameras 720 or 1080p and they look very good and price is reasonable. People have been asking about POE can anyone direct me to a site or somewhere on the internet where I can find out more about these and educate myself on installation. Thank you for your help.

Your dad is incorrect. You dont even need an internet connection to for an IP system.

IP allows for a much larger selection of cameras and NVR (standalone or pc based) easier installation dont have to mess with baluns or Siamese cable, the ability to use switches so you dont have to homrun all the cables to the NVR (depending on the location, this can be a huge time/money saver). The ability to easily stream to two NVR's (as a backup), to use cameras with SD card slots (as a backup).

boogieman thank you for your response, my dad is stuck in the older ways he retired from ADT (alarms) almost 3 years ago and people still call him for camera installs. I started helping him sling cables in the attics and in a relative short time he taught me how to install. Any site you recommend where I can read up on ip/NVR install. Once again thank you.

boogieman thank you for your response, my dad is stuck in the older ways he retired from ADT (alarms) almost 3 years ago and people still call him for camera installs. I started helping him sling cables in the attics and in a relative short time he taught me how to install. Any site you recommend where I can read up on ip/NVR install. Once again thank you.

There are various forums on the net..just search...ultimately you need to buy the equipment and mess with it to learn.