Munnaz

IP Camera setting adjustment to record licence/number plates

Hi There,

We have had a few incidents out the front of our property and being able to record licence plates would have been very helpful at the time but we only had a low quality 4 channel camera setup recording to a dvr. Since then we have purchased a single 1080P IP Camera (Doss Security IN30IPB - doss.com.au/in30ipb-full-hd-ip-camera-with-30m-ir/) to try and record car number plates. This camera records directly to a personal computer using the 'average' IP camera software that it came with (simply called "Network Video Monitor Software V2.0.0.7").

So far it has been doing a pretty good job during the day and night (considering it is a fairly poor position). As I have very limited knowledge of CCTV cameras I have only played around with the shutter speed and now have it on 1/1000 for recording number plates at night. Currently it only records approximately 70% of number plates with the other 30% being too blurry I am assuming because of the speed of the cars. I have attached some screenshots of the software and camera options that can be modified. I was wondering if anyone could give me any tips on how to improve the quality to record more licence plates (without re-positioning the camera). The only use for this camera is to record number plates and am willing to sacrifice frame rate etc as long as number plates are recorded as there are other cameras to record what happens. Will possibly changing the I-Frame interval, IR Brightness, etc etc help at all?

Also, can someone recommend good IP Camera software (ONVIF compatible)?

Thanks in advance for any help!

Munnaz

1.thumb.jpg.29149885a50544813b1c3f32c7e7a2a4.jpg

2.thumb.jpg.3c4fe0b04372e592291f96c58de2f26a.jpg

plates.thumb.jpg.eb40e66f1292e9be8eb321fff661d4e6.jpg

Sighthound is my favorite paid software (free to try), since it has object tracking capabilities.

iSpy is my favorite free software.

Sighthound is my favorite paid software (free to try), since it has object tracking capabilities.

ispy is not free. They charge monthly for remote viewing and alerts.

The software is free (https://www.ispyconnect.com/pricing.aspx), but you're right; "remote viewing" and "alerts" aren't free.

For remote viewing, use the IP of the camera, instead of the software.

There is a script that can be used to allow free alerts to be sent from iSpy; bypassing the requirement of paying

for it.

I've used both options and the free software when I was trying it out!

The software is free (https://www.ispyconnect.com/pricing.aspx), but you're right; "remote viewing" and "alerts" aren't free.

For remote viewing, use the IP of the camera, instead of the software.

There is a script that can be used to allow free alerts to be sent from iSpy; bypassing the requirement of paying

for it.

I've used both options and the free software when I was trying it out!

Port forwarding the camera itself is not a secure method. You also cannot view the recorded video. Bypassing ispy's alerts is certainly not legit and its a hassle...

Thanks guys.

I will try them out. How about any tips of quality to get number plate information?

I'm not very good at adjusting these things, quality wise. I'll let someone else chirp in on that one. iSpy is Open Source; denoting software for which the original source code is made freely available and may be redistributed and modified. There's definitely a script that can be updated to setup email to be sent on alarm. It's not hard at all and utilizes a script feature built-in. I thought port forwarding would be just as secure with a password.. Idk, but you can let me know if you need help setting it up

Thanks guys.

I will try them out. How about any tips of quality to get number plate information?

I'm not very good at adjusting these things, quality wise. I'll let someone else chirp in on that one. iSpy is Open Source; denoting software for which the original source code is made freely available and may be redistributed and modified. There's definitely a script that can be updated to setup email to be sent on alarm. It's not hard at all and utilizes a script feature built-in. I thought port forwarding would be just as secure with a password.. Idk, but you can let me know if you need help setting it up

Port forwarding a camera is not secure. There are always vulnerabilities in the firmware with patches coming very late if ever. Also you cannot view recorded video unless you camera has an sd card or you are recording to another destination as well. I have no intention of using ispy anyway...