our client wants a 16 cam system with 8 of the cams to be ptz. he wants to be able to sit on his sofa and view the cams on his television. no problem there. however, he wants to be able to control the ptz cameras from his sofa while viewing them over his television. how can this be done without using a controller or joystick. he wants to use a universal remote or a small remote for this control. HELP!

Geovision will do this, i'm doing it now

They sell a remote unit which is usb, just learn this to a universal, i use a harmony 885.

IMHO, your customer will not be satisfied using some small remote, it is even hard enough to control a PTZ through a mouse on remote software, te best thing is an extended PTZ keyboard, you can get small ones or to pump the video output of your pc video card into the modulator and use a wireless mouse.

If you were to use the GEO Remote option then I would use the I/O board to link to presets so that a button push givces him a predefined view, if he is happy with an option of many differnt shots (Presets) to choose from then he will probably be very happy with this solution, but if he wants to move and pan and zoom, he will be much happier with an extended smal PTZ Keyboard.

What he said .. also it isnt that easy with an IR remote as it is with the Keyboard controller .. something like the KTD-405 from GE with the CyberDome is really cool .. fast control .. it has its onboard joystick ..and it integrates into the Geo and many other DVRs ..

There are other brands also with the keyboard w/ joystick just mentioning what ive used ..

he will get tired of it pretty quickly. Its funny sometimes to hear people and what they think they will do alot. But if they will pay for it then more power to them