Sign in to follow this  
lanep82

Need Help with Selecting a Network NVR/DVR w/Current Cameras

Hello and good morning.

I recently purchased 6 Reo-link cameras (5 RLC-410 and 1 RLC-411) via Amazon and have them up around my home. While the functionality of the web app and the desktop app are great, I would like to get some sort of NVR/DVR for greater flexibility.

Right now, I have all 6 cameras going into an 8-port Network PoE switch (just a switch, not a DVR/NVR). The switch is plugged into my master 24-port Non-PoE Switch. Everything seems to work fine.

My question is:

What type/kind of NVR/DVR should I get? I noticed that these cameras are all 4 MP cameras so does that mean that I have to get a 4 MP DVR or will something less-resolution work? There are a bunch of options online but figured I would ask you what my options are as I was very impressed with your website. I plan to plug the NVR/DVR straight into my 24-port non-PoE switch. I am assuming that would work?

Any help is appreciated.

For what he Synology costs, I'd build a pc with security camera software on it. Much more flexible, can do other things and is completely upgradeable.

Ubuntu Linux - Zoneminder security camera - Free + Free App - requires extensive setup/tweaking but still pretty easy

or

Windows 7,8 or 10 - Blue iris Security Software - $60 + $15 app - Idiot proof setup/support/usability

Cameras -> PoE Switch -> Master Switch

DVR/NVR/PC -> Master Switch

all is well.

pc with security camera software on it

what will be PC spec and cost?

300-500 with full warranty for an i5-i7 haswell pc from dell (optiplex 7020/9020 from the dell outlet)...Still cheaper than a synology nas + licenses (you need the more expensive units that dont have low fps ratings)...particularly if you want a unit that can display the live video feed.

For what he Synology costs, I'd build a pc with security camera software on it. Much more flexible, can do other things and is completely upgradeable.

Ubuntu Linux - Zoneminder security camera - Free + Free App - requires extensive setup/tweaking but still pretty easy

or

Windows 7,8 or 10 - Blue iris Security Software - $60 + $15 app - Idiot proof setup/support/usability

all is well.

Thank you for your reply. I am actually leaning towards building my own PC Server and was leaning towards NAS....until I realized that the linux wouldn't run blue iris.

I have read a lot about blue iris and it sounds like it's probably what I should go with.

My next question, and this may be a little bit out of the thread, but one of the reasons I wanted to go with an NAS was the thought that I could

A. Have a place to store all my NVR recordings from cameras (I will only have a total of 7)

and

B. Have a place to stream all my media to my multiple in-home, hard-wired TVs.

Noting that I have cameras that will do up to 4 MP (1080p on the low end), would the following system be able to 'do' everything that I want w/out giving up much on the FPS, etc:

• Processor:
    Intel Core i5-4590S 3.0GHz Quad-Core Processor

MoBo:
    Gigabyte GA-H97N-WIFI Mini ITX LGA1150 Motherboard

RAM:
    Kingston HyperX Fury Black 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR3-1600 Memory

Storage:
    Samsung 850 EVO-Series 500GB 2.5" Solid State Drive

2 x Western Digital Red 3TB 3.5" 5400RPM Internal Hard Drive

Case:
    Fractal Design Node 304 Mini ITX Tower Case

Power Supply:
    Cooler Master VS 550W 80+ Gold Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply

Operating System:
    Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium SP1 OEM (64-bit)

Could anyone give me some advice on if anything is overkill or can be toned back? Or perhaps something that isn't beefy enough for what I am wanting to do.

Thanks again for the input

or

all is well.

Thank you for your reply. I am actually leaning towards building my own PC Server and was leaning towards NAS....until I realized that the linux wouldn't run blue iris.

I have read a lot about blue iris and it sounds like it's probably what I should go with.

My next question, and this may be a little bit out of the thread, but one of the reasons I wanted to go with an NAS was the thought that I could

A. Have a place to store all my NVR recordings from cameras (I will only have a total of 7)

and

B. Have a place to stream all my media to my multiple in-home, hard-wired TVs.

Noting that I have cameras that will do up to 4 MP (1080p on the low end), would the following system be able to 'do' everything that I want w/out giving up much on the FPS, etc:

• Processor:
    Intel Core i5-4590S 3.0GHz Quad-Core Processor

MoBo:
    Gigabyte GA-H97N-WIFI Mini ITX LGA1150 Motherboard

RAM:
    Kingston HyperX Fury Black 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR3-1600 Memory

Storage:
    Samsung 850 EVO-Series 500GB 2.5" Solid State Drive

2 x Western Digital Red 3TB 3.5" 5400RPM Internal Hard Drive

Case:
    Fractal Design Node 304 Mini ITX Tower Case

Power Supply:
    Cooler Master VS 550W 80+ Gold Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply

Operating System:
    Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium SP1 OEM (64-bit)

NAS is VERY underpowered for that much work.

I have a VERY similar system to what you are spec'ing.

"only" do 7 ip camears

Well, if thats the case I would up the processor to an i7, at least an i7-3820.

Up the power supply to a 750 watt, as you will need the extra juice for hard drives down the road. This should only add $20-30 to the cost.

I love the Node 304, but you will run out of space for hard drives, that you will need later on as the 7 cameras will gobble up space.

Especially with motion detection you will max out an i5 pretty quick.

BlueIris runs on windows, Im playing with the demo right now. If you must use windows, then this is the solution for you.

ZoneMinder runs on linux, and you can run it in a VM on a windows machine if you MUST run windows.

I was playing with Zoneminder in a VM and was very impressed with its performance. I may deploy it onto my Ubuntu Server as my camera NVR.

Right now, I have two 3mp cameras continuously recording to my raid drive on my Ubuntu server, just basic to get the cameras working. These are recording to a SMB share on the same server that runs my PlexMediaServer. This system also serves HD media/music etc to 3 Google Chromecasts in my house.

So far so good.

Hard drives consume 4-6 watts of power...not need for a 750w power supply, they are not efficient at low power levels..

the type of system needed will depend on the software used. Some packages can run those cameras fine with a haswell i3 or less.

Regardless, building a system today is a waste, as you can get it cheaper than build price via the dell business outlet with next day service.

Hard drives consume 4-6 watts of power...not need for a 750w power supply, they are not efficient at low power levels..

the type of system needed will depend on the software used. Some packages can run those cameras fine with a haswell i3 or less.

Regardless, building a system today is a waste, as you can get it cheaper than build price via the dell business outlet with next day service.

Dell lost my business years ago, and has never won it back. I'd rather choose what parts go into my system, than let a money hungry company choose the cheapest component suppliers. For bargin dell products, thats what you'll get.

There are several efficient power supplies above 550 watts. He said it was a media server, so not sure if hes using it as a server or a player hooked to his main TV. I'd hate to be under powered after building a system.

Nas hard drives can use 15-20 watts or more, easy.

I don't believe there is a point to using 3mp cameras if you aren't using full (or close to) resolution, and at minimum 10 FPS. I personally use 30 FPS but thats me. Always build for more power than you currently need. With perhaps the exception of the processor as you can swap it out for something more powerful later.

The cost between i5 and i7 is negligible, even if you're going Dell.

I had two 3mp cameras @ 1080p 30fps running on blue iris on an i5 as was getting quit high system loads. So yes it all depends on what you want to do with the cameras.

Dell lost my business years ago, and has never won it back. I'd rather choose what parts go into my system, than let a money hungry company choose the cheapest component suppliers. For bargin dell products, thats what you'll get.

There are several efficient power supplies above 550 watts. He said it was a media server, so not sure if hes using it as a server or a player hooked to his main TV. I'd hate to be under powered after building a system.

Nas hard drives can use 15-20 watts or more, easy.

I don't believe there is a point to using 3mp cameras if you aren't using full (or close to) resolution, and at minimum 10 FPS. I personally use 30 FPS but thats me. Always build for more power than you currently need. With perhaps the exception of the processor as you can swap it out for something more powerful later.

The cost between i5 and i7 is negligible, even if you're going Dell.

I had two 3mp cameras @ 1080p 30fps running on blue iris on an i5 as was getting quit high system loads. So yes it all depends on what you want to do with the cameras.

Again its not the cameras but the software. Blue iris is fantastic but uses lots of cpu...exacq for example does not. You can easily run 10+ 3mp cameras on an i3 haswell. In fact you can run them on a celeron using exacq.

I doubt you are running 3mp at 30fps as most 3mp cameras top out at 20fps unless you are running at 1080p.

I have 50+ dell optiplex systems running, with zero issues. 20 or so are VMS systems running under load 24/7. They are supper reliable with next day repair for 3 years (never had to use it). I also use hp elitedesks without issue.

Spending the time and money to build is silly and a complete waste of resources.

Never add a power supply that is too powerful as they are inefficient at low loads.

Not sure where you are getting your power consumption numbers but wd reds which are the most popular nas drives today consume 3-5w. http://www.wdc.com/wdproducts/library/SpecSheet/ENG/2879-800002.pdf Even if op added 5 or 10 drives any standard 400w power supply would be more than capable.

I like to use axxons calculator for looking at system requirements, along with my 2cents as a program to look at. They offer a free 16 cam version, 1TB limit, plenty for motion or analytic detection.

Here's a link

https://sale.axxonsoft.com/calc/calculator.jsf

Once you enter your cams and resolution, you can turn on/off the record, client, view streams and look at the cpu loads. Nicely estimates storage and throughput.

They support on camera analytics in addition to they'er software analytics. Handles Bosch's IVA well and most of the Samsungs. have an issue with my7082's though. Work in progress.

If you add an Nvida CUDA card, it supports hardware decoding which should help cpu usage on the client/ viewing side of the house

Since you are using the reolink cameras,

Why dont you just but another one reolink NVR

cause that is the most compatible match.

https://reolink.com/forum/

Or you can check out the link to figure out which NVR you should get to match your reolink cameras