BrightSparks

Cannot access cctv (lost pins)

Hi All,

Right this seems a the right place for a bit of advice on a lost code for a cctv,

Im a Spark and have been doing some work on a pub that my friend has just got and doing up,

Now there is a cctv system in already but we've no way of finding out the pin to access the menu's ect,

There is no name of a manufacture on the system and ive tried taking the cmos battery out for a couple of days but still after i placed it back in the same user names ect are on the menu and i cannot access anything,

Anyone got any ideas on how to sort this out?

Here's a couple of pics to help.

Many Thanks.

http://1drv.ms/1GpK4PK

Shut it off, pull out the hard drive, and plug it into a PC with an external USB hard drive enclosure. ($30-50).

It will likely come up as a collection of files your computer can read. (Though if it says "do you want to format this disk" this will not work, and don't do anything or you'll erase it.)

If you're lucky you'll see something like *.txt *.ini *.cfg *.config files which contain the device password. If you're unlucky the files are all randomly named and encoded in raw hexadecimal in which case recovery will be very difficult.

If the DVR has more than one drive, one of them is probably the "main" drive and will contain the config files. You may have to try each drive and see what they contain.

Shut it off, pull out the hard drive, and plug it into a PC with an external USB hard drive enclosure. ($30-50).

It will likely come up as a collection of files your computer can read. (Though if it says "do you want to format this disk" this will not work, and don't do anything or you'll erase it.)

If you're lucky you'll see something like *.txt *.ini *.cfg *.config files which contain the device password. If you're unlucky the files are all randomly named and encoded in raw hexadecimal in which case recovery will be very difficult.

If the DVR has more than one drive, one of them is probably the "main" drive and will contain the config files. You may have to try each drive and see what they contain.

Please advise i am using iCatch DVR. I've tried to connect Hard Drive to PC it says initialize disk in windows and linux won't even recognize partition table. Please help

Hi All,

Right this seems a the right place for a bit of advice on a lost code for a cctv,

Im a Spark and have been doing some work on a pub that my friend has just got and doing up,

Now there is a cctv system in already but we've no way of finding out the pin to access the menu's ect,

There is no name of a manufacture on the system and ive tried taking the cmos battery out for a couple of days but still after i placed it back in the same user names ect are on the menu and i cannot access anything,

Many Thanks.

can you upload a couple of pictures to this forum asi cant view the coded link you supplied thanks

Its nothing I recognise.

Unless the operating system is located on the hard drive, its unlikely that the configuration will be stored there. Most DVRs are bios/eprom based meaning a fast start, and no corruption even if a hard drive dies or power supply is lost.

In my experience, the password info seems to be stored in an portion of NVM (non volatile memory), so just like many intruder alarms, power supply fails and dead batteries have no effect. In many devices you can reset NVM by shorting two pins but please don't just try random pins you see. It's nothing I've ever needed to do on a DVR but security panels yes, and its fairly normal to short NVM pins with the power on, or while powering up.

Before you even try that, have you tried simple code combinations yet? Some systems have a default very weak password when it is enabled, which many users don't change. Other systems have a blank field, into which many users set a very easy password.

Defaults are usually between 4 and 6 digits, anything from 0000, 1111, 9999, 12345, 123456, etc.

Hi All,

Many Thanks.

can you upload a couple of pictures to this forum asi cant view the coded link you supplied thanks

Here you are pal,

12071734_10153689857043024_1757708821_n.jpg.15d2bd13a70ec1a34aabc9ee8f1af9f2.jpg

12092570_10153689857093024_397917685_n.jpg.4d14ae17584dc74bd5040ffb7478fd22.jpg