Sign in to follow this  
ke5wwx

gv-1240 card but Cameras need to be upgraded

I wired my house with the old analog Siamese wiring. Running the GV-1240A D type card. My cameras died within 3 years which sucked. But I cannot re-wire for Ethernet.

What are my options when it comes to cameras now a days. good wide angle outside dome cameras. I was told I can go up to 720 hd on the old coax system. But alot of these cctv companies just lie

Or should I just sell the geovision card and buy a big box store Samsung or lorex system.

I am soo confused with all the fake marketing techniques.

But Im a newbie to this forum and just flat out disgusted with my camera situation. My cameras are 17ft off the ground pointing at the street which is about 10 ft away. I have had side swipes and the cameras that I have been having are around 600tvl. But there all either fogged up or just blacked out.

What would you do if you had a GV-1240 that is only 4 years old and have to redo your cameras? Sell the card and get a stand alone or buy some quality cameras which now adays I have no Idea which are junk and which will hold up. IE the Camera not the IR's

I appreciate any input in advanced as I really do not have any Idea what to do.

I wired my house with the old analog Siamese wiring. Running the GV-1240A D type card. My cameras died within 3 years which sucked. But I cannot re-wire for Ethernet.

What are my options when it comes to cameras now a days. good wide angle outside dome cameras. I was told I can go up to 720 hd on the old coax system. But alot of these cctv companies just lie

Or should I just sell the geovision card and buy a big box store Samsung or lorex system.

I am soo confused with all the fake marketing techniques.

But Im a newbie to this forum and just flat out disgusted with my camera situation. My cameras are 17ft off the ground pointing at the street which is about 10 ft away. I have had side swipes and the cameras that I have been having are around 600tvl. But there all either fogged up or just blacked out.

What would you do if you had a GV-1240 that is only 4 years old and have to redo your cameras? Sell the card and get a stand alone or buy some quality cameras which now adays I have no Idea which are junk and which will hold up. IE the Camera not the IR's

I appreciate any input in advanced as I really do not have any Idea what to do.

Hi,

You are at crossroads. So here is my 2 cents, FWIW.

The industry trend is mainly shifting towards digital, which is IP cameras.

Going to IP cameras have advantages of going digital and (usually) have higher resolutions.

The drawback for going IP based is higher costs and compatibility issues between different hardware/software.

However, in the analog there are still some vendors which promote technology that provide higher resolutions than 480p or 960H while running on RG59/RG6 coaxial cables. The front runners are: AHD (Nextchip based), TVI (HikVsion and Techpoint) and CVI (Dahua).

HD-CVI is the first technology into this market developed by Dahua and so far not much traction despite being the first vendor to provide 720p/1080p solutions.

HD-TVI is mainly backed by HikVision and some vendors also use Techpoint solutions to provide it. They have 1080p cameras and demoing 3MP, 5MP cameras for future products.

AHD is very low priced and lots of me-too Chinese vendor provide standalones on the market. AHD currently provide 1080p resolution and not much detail about the future products. So far they only provide a technology demo of streaming 4K video and nothing concrete.

Forget about SDI/HD-SDI, it's petering out.

It's a brief about what's in the market right now and you can choose which one best fits your need.