datastream

Need help with night time / low light etc. cam

Hi,

Ages and ages ago i had a really old CCTV camera and it was awesome in the dark, I'm probs going back 10 years or so ago, but now they would seem that they all come with IR's etc.

I bought a few of them claiming that they see well in the dark (without IR as the cams are viewing through a window) so thought I'd try a few that claimed they were good in the dark, well not complete darkness as my car is under a street light which only points down from the light as it's an LED street light outside. so not one of them horrible yellow glowing ones.

But all the camera's that I've tried are a waste of time. nothing as compared to that old CCTV cam I had and that didn't even have IR's on it, was just awesome in both day and night time....

So, what I'm looking for if you guys can help is a camera that I can mount covertly in my house pointing out the window to my car. My car is parked across the street you see so I don't want it blatent that I have a camera pointed in case on of the people over the road kinda think it's weird etc. and panic that I'm watching them.

I've seen quite a good CCTV kits for recording etc. but can come back to that, a great camera would be a good start for me.

Thanks in advance.

Hi,

Ages and ages ago i had a really old CCTV camera and it was awesome in the dark, I'm probs going back 10 years or so ago, but now they would seem that they all come with IR's etc.

I bought a few of them claiming that they see well in the dark (without IR as the cams are viewing through a window) so thought I'd try a few that claimed they were good in the dark, well not complete darkness as my car is under a street light which only points down from the light as it's an LED street light outside. so not one of them horrible yellow glowing ones.

But all the camera's that I've tried are a waste of time. nothing as compared to that old CCTV cam I had and that didn't even have IR's on it, was just awesome in both day and night time....

So, what I'm looking for if you guys can help is a camera that I can mount covertly in my house pointing out the window to my car. My car is parked across the street you see so I don't want it blatent that I have a camera pointed in case on of the people over the road kinda think it's weird etc. and panic that I'm watching them.

I've seen quite a good CCTV kits for recording etc. but can come back to that, a great camera would be a good start for me.

Thanks in advance.

Well, The old camera that you like must be analog and its sensor could be old CCD. The CCD sensor is getting out of production/market as it can not compete against cheap CMOS based sensors. Keep using it till it dies away. Meanwhile hopefully CMOS HD cameras will find its improvement on its low light performance. The second choice could be using 720P HD Cameras, now very cheap. You must know that the CMOS sensors used for 720P camera are the very same sensor for 16 MP cameras. All of these are related to inferior low light performace of CMOS sensor.

Contrary to what is stated above, there are cameras that perform really well in low light. But you will have to pay. Checkout hikvisions darkfighter series. About 600.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1162153-REG/hikvision_darkfighter_series_ds_2cd4526fwd_izh_2mp.html

This camera includes motorized varifocal.

Alternatively you can go with 720p camera that, in general perform better in low light, see also dahua 2100 series 1.3mp cameras which have exceptionally great night vision.

16mp cameras do not use the same sensor and 720p cameras...higher mp camera like a 4mp will perform much better in daylight, but at night a 720p, in general, will be better. The darkfighter camera will perform exceptionally well at night and low light.

Wicked...what about it pointing through a window..does it have irs?? And can it be covert..?

I'll send you guys a photo n you'll be able to see it better!

Thanks...looking forward to it.

Edited by Guest

Wicked...what about it pointing through a window..does it have irs?? And can it be covert..?

I'll send you guys a photo n you'll be able to see it better!

Thanks...looking forward to it.

IR will not pass through windows.

Properly mount your camera outside. You wont get a good image through a window.

Hikvision Darkfighters are superb in low light. You'll have to use day mode to disable the internal IRs (an IR cam shining on a glass window renders it useless) but they're VERY good even without the help of IR. I just got mine but I don't see a way yet to turn off the internal IR in the dome version. With the help of an external IR floodlight they're stunningly good for the money in pitch black. With varifocal lens they'll go to 12mm which is decent for watching a car that's not TOO far away on the street. $300 plus shipping if you don't mind getting one direct from China. I just picked up a DS-2CD4526FWD-IZ to try and it puts my older Axis P3364VE Lightfinders to shame. They used to set the bar in the HD network camera under $1000 range for night performance. Huge jump in performance for the dollar and I wouldn't hesitate in recommending it over an older B&W low light analog camera. I used to have one just for the same task you're using it for- low light IR-free viewing through glass. The only advantage mine had over this Darkfighter dome is that I put a 5-50mm varifocal lens on my other camera. You might look into whether or not Hikvision is making a Darkfighter-technology box camera with interchangeable lenses if you need more than 12mm focal length. For indoor mounting viewing through a window it'd be the bees knees.

Hey thanks for that detailed post.

Sorry not replied earlier.

Sounds like it might be what I need, would I still need a external IR or did you just mention that as my car is under a street light.

I might post a pic and then you'd get a better idea and also see if there's anything a little cheaper.

Thanks again for the reply

It will work with an external IR illuminator but shouldn't be required. Usually the more light the merrier though, if only so you can speed up your exposure to cut down motion blur with the minimum of graininess. I make out fine at 1/60th under an LED streetlamp and little else. The 12mm lens length works well at 45 feet or so to my street. Even at 6mm or so it's quite good but poorer mugshots than 12mm. Depends on the FOV you need at that distance. PM me if you want a reliable cheap source.

Hikvision DS-2CD3445-I is $80ish, can turn off the IR, and would be good directly under a streetlight. Available in 12mm, too, but harder to find than shorter lengths. Get a 12mm and a 2.8mm for $160 plus shipping. You'll get ID shots from the 12 and the big picture from the wide angle. 4mp and pics have noticeably more detail than the 2mp Darkfighter but loses the advantage at night. They're quite a bit better than the older 3mp Hik and 2mp Swann rebranded Hik cams at night. Stunning picture quality for under a hundred bucks plus shipping of about $30 from China for the first cam.

Why don't you want a potential thief to know your car is under video surveillance ??? Any person in your neighborhood that see's the camera and the signs up in your car would most likely be happy that there is video surveillance in the neighborhood , unless they are the perp ! It may also provoke the neighbors to be more aware of what's going on and maybe install surveillance of their own increasing everyone's chances of catching someone !

I would make it completely obvious that my car was being recorded including putting a sign or two in the vehicle !!!

Even if I was not recording the vehicle .i would still put recording signs in the car .that alone would deter most random acts of mischief .if you had video of the person who broke into your car and showed it to the detective ,unless he immediately recognized the perp, he is not going to search thru 1000s of mugshots to find someone who has merely broken into your car.

I think prevention is better than dealing with the aftermath of vandalism and hoping the cops can get the perp !!!

Hi , would anyone be able to help with excessive Infra Red glare at night time ?.. It appears the dome cover for my AVtech 542FP is clean as a bell both sides , but the Glare when you enable the InfraRed makes it look like blotches and cant be used..

Any tips greatly appreciated .

Hi , would anyone be able to help with excessive Infra Red glare at night time ?.. It appears the dome cover for my AVtech 542FP is clean as a bell both sides , but the Glare when you enable the InfraRed makes it look like blotches and cant be used..

Any tips greatly appreciated .

rhyseenz, make sure ir light is not reflecting off of an eave, wall etc even though it doesn't show the eave in video.

Also, a couple of reasons for wanting covert camera is some people do freak out thinking you are violating their privacy. Or, if a neighbor is for instance, vandalizing your car, if he sees a camera may turn to a bb gun, for example, to continue on from a distance. I'd rather catch the scumbag on video than warn him off.

Catching someone on video does not guarantee an arrest .and you still have to deal with the aftermath

Of the vandalism.ie.broken windows,damaged paint,stolen items.etc.all of which will most likely come

Out of your pocket ! At the least you will have to pay the insurance deductible. Then there is always the

option of the perp retaliating again for turning them in to the police.most criminals are not too bright so

They become obsessed with getting even.this comes from personal experience at my brother in laws

Church.the perp stole the copper leaders,gutters,etc.so i was asked to installed a surveillance system .

The perp came back and broke into the church garage and stole ladders,snowblower,tools,lead coated

copper.he went back & forth from his forclosed house across the street from the church with a shopping cart

many Times over 4 hours . All caught on video.cops came.they immediately new his name.they went to his house

several times over several weeks But couldn't catch the guy.the cops found most of the stolen stuff in

the cart in his yard and returned It to the church.he came back again now taking all the metal grates off the

basement windows and transporting them to his house across the street.all perfectly and clearly recorded .

the cops still couldn't get Him. He now randomly comes by and throws rocks & bricks through the antique

Historical Custom stained glass windows made in 1891.

The bottom line is it cost the church more than $20,000 dollars to repair/replace all the damage caused by this

Elusive drunken lowlife !!!

Not to mention the countless hours of searching through the dvr, police reports,estimates for repairs,etc,etc.

Prevention is your best bet .you never come out ahead after the damage is done

My personal experience is that people just don't see cameras in a residential setting so most of the time they aren't a deterrence. Many shoplifters either don't really care if there are cameras or are convinced that nobody is watching them. Others will wear a mask or depend on poor night quality of video to get away with it. Others like captainvideo's example also just don't care, but that combination of continued malevolence on the part of the perp and incompetence/bad luck/lack of time on the part of the cops is pretty rare. You can also find examples where visible cameras completely solve a theft or vandalism problem.

Most of my problems with crime at home have to do with car surfers looking for an easy score for drugs. Most of these would probably turn around and keep walking if they saw a large easily visible sign in a car warning them to smile for the cameras. Buuuut, large visible signs are a pain to place every time and "here" smashed windows are a rarity, so you may as well remember to lock your car as put up the sign unless you're parking somewhere industrial or out of the way where the noise of a smashed window wouldn't wake people up.