joshremlin

Swann & more IR lights

Hi all,

I've been having trouble with my Swann system, I've had email alerts and motion record on to find at night it continually recorded and sent me emails in some cases I woke up to 100+ emails of pictures with nothing on them.

I was told it was something to do with the IR lighting lacking to light up the area it was monitoring giving false alarms. I have recent bought some extra 12v IR lights there small round 48 LED illumination hopfully enough to stop my problem.

My main question is obiviously at the camera there's only one DC adapter for the camera but I need two at the camera so the IR light can be plugged in! I've bought a splitter to give me to is this ok to do or will I get other problems ??

Thanks for the help guys!

Josh

I'm afraid to say, video motion detection is completely useless at night!

Installing another IR unit wont make much difference, if anything it will make the problem worse.

The other issue you will face is increased current on your power supply.

At night time the camera picks up IR reflections from almost anything, outdoor cameras suffer highly from flying bugs and insects, mist, rain etc. Indoor cameras can also pick up movement of dust particles in the air.

Unfortunately, the proper way around this is to install external PIRs and connect them into the alarm inputs of your DVR.

The external PIRs are not overly expensive, I think mine on my house where around £25 each and they work well.

Hope this helps

I have put the extra ir light up before your reply it doesn't stop the motion recording or emails but it defiantly lightens up the area making it better for clearer night face pictures.

How would I wire in the PIR sensors to the Swann dvr8-1260 ?? It doesn't allow this option.

Thanks

Josh

Ah, I thought that model of Swann did have a single alarm input, Iv just looked it up and I can see that it doesn't

The only thing you could do is keep tweaking the MD sensitivity and alter the MD coverage

If it's really important you have a reliable motion alarm, consider replacing the DVR, the Hikvision Hybrid DVRs with Alarm I/O don't cost much these days