matteffincameron

newbie...need some direction

hello all! obviously new here...have some challenges and I really need some direction on what type of camera/system I should be looking at to best meet my needs..hoping you all can help.

First of all, we cannot see the part of the driveway where people park from anywhere in the house really. We have a driveway sensor that alerts us when someone pulls in but then it is quite difficult to find out who the person is, what they are doing, or if they are coming to the front or back door. This is the biggest objective...I would like to easily be able to see who is in the driveway. In my mind the best way would be if I could tap an app on my phone (even if it only worked while I was at home on wifi) and see the driveway...but I really want it to be fast, I dont want to pick up my phone, tap an app, have it spend 15 seconds loading/connecting and then the person is already at my door. For example I use WEMO light switches, and it seems to take that app too long to launch, connect to its cloud service and be ready to go...so by the time I get to turn my driveway lights on, the guest has already come or gone.

I am not sure if there is a better option given that I am concerned about the time to load....like a system that somehow sends the livestream (maybe just using RG6?) to all the TVs in the house so wherever I am if I change the input when I hear the alarm go off, I can see a feed from the camera?

It might be nice to have the system take a still photo every X seconds and store that on a hard drive for some sort of peace of mind when I am not home, and I am open to installing a few more cameras if its some sort of system that supports multiple cameras (probably no more than 4 though).

We are in the middle of renovations right now so running wire, whether its RG6, CAT6 or electricity to the critical areas...shouldnt be a problem.

Thanks!

If you are starting with a single camera, get an ip camera with sd card recording capability...look through the threads on hikvision or dahua...

Hey,

I am new to the forum and surprised no one has offered some other advice to you.

If you want to go something other than wireless I would consider a minimum start with a 4 camera system but know this, once you have 4, you'll want 8 and so on. I use nothing but Q-see systems. They are relatively inexpensive and do a very nice job for the home consumer. I just got one for a friend from Home Depot, an 8 camera system with 4 cameras. Leaves expansion for those additional 4 you're going to want down the road now that you'll be addicted to having your home covered visually. And the new systems start off with some pretty nice 700 TVL resolution.

The new systems allow you to scan the QR code to your phones so you can view anytime home or remote. And you don't have to worry about becoming educated with port forwarding DNS client SW.

The systems that be set up with motion detection so you get an alarm as well as an email. You can also wire to desired TV's for life real time monitoring. And you can set up snapshots so they take a pic of the event and store it on your HD. They are exceptionally user friendly I have found as compared to Swann or Defender but that is just my personal opinion.

You can install with an additional roll of RG59 Siamese cable since they only come with 60' and/or 100' cables in the kit. And when you decide to jump on board with some PTZ's, you'll just need some 18/2 control wire and you'll be all hooked up!

Hope this helps.

Misskittykats

my main focus here is being able to get a real time image or feed of my driveway as quickly as possible on my phone...

As that is the primary concern, not motion sensitivity or alarms, or the number of cameras...can anyone speak to how quickly/easily/accessible the solution they are suggesting makes this real time image or feed?

Are some apps better than the others?

Are systems which dont use the cloud quicker than those which require it?

Is a wireless IPcam going to be slower since the camera is trying to do more while a hardwired cctv system will be quicker since all the work is being done in a centralized controller?

Matte..

With the q-see hardwired camera system you can program it so the app stays open on the phone all the time so you could monitor it 24/7 if you wish or have it give you an instant email alert if there is someone on your doorstep. You can also run that real time imagine on a monitor. I have a monitor next to my TV that shows my live feeds 24/7 as I watching them all the time. And then I get alerts on my phone or my computer if I am away from the monitors.

Personally I question the IP camera since you have to turn a wire to it to power it anyway, why not hardware and you aren't relying on your cell signal (which a lot are using nowadays). Plus the SD card can only hold so much data without overwriting and I think you have to pull the card to access the viewing on your computer anyway. Where a 1 or 2 TB HD on a DVR wouldn't have that issue.

I don't think it matters if the cloud or your HD is faster but seems it would be fast to access your DVR HD than the cloud.. but then that might be up to someone elses opinion that depend on the cloud?

Misskittykats

you can program it so the app stays open on the phone all the time

Misskitty, would keeping the app open on your phone all the time increase your data usage a lot?

Matte..

With the q-see hardwired camera system you can program it so the app stays open on the phone all the time so you could monitor it 24/7 if you wish or have it give you an instant email alert if there is someone on your doorstep. You can also run that real time imagine on a monitor. I have a monitor next to my TV that shows my live feeds 24/7 as I watching them all the time. And then I get alerts on my phone or my computer if I am away from the monitors.

Personally I question the IP camera since you have to turn a wire to it to power it anyway, why not hardware and you aren't relying on your cell signal (which a lot are using nowadays). Plus the SD card can only hold so much data without overwriting and I think you have to pull the card to access the viewing on your computer anyway. Where a 1 or 2 TB HD on a DVR wouldn't have that issue.

I don't think it matters if the cloud or your HD is faster but seems it would be fast to access your DVR HD than the cloud.. but then that might be up to someone elses opinion that depend on the cloud?

Misskittykats

Please stop giving advice. Everything you say in your posts are incorrect. 700tvl is NOT a nice image. We are in 2015. 720p should be the minimum. Its has at least double the resolution of 700tvl.

IP can be wired OR wireless and DOES not have to rely on a cell signal anymore than an analog dvr.

Everyone has an opinion that is based on their personal experience. That said, all info is valuable and depends on the requirement of the system and user. IP has been a nightmare for me as someone who warrants their installs. I have discontinued IP at this time and have returned to 100% Analog/AHD/TVI wired and port forwarding anytime that the system allows it. Wireless is generally very unreliable and I won't even make a trip to service one anymore. As far as "resolution" is concerned, it once again is dependent upon reliability, requirements (distance and what you wish to see) and cost. As a dealer/installer/servicer, I try to supply a product that is as inexpensive as possible to my customers and at the same time a reliable system. And, that said, I won't ever recommend any system or company over another to someone on the net. That is a "menu" for trouble. If you follow any forum, you will find that no matter the manufacturer or type of equipment, someone has had a bad experience with it. Particularly with the newest technology that hasn't been proven yet. Just like a new computer operating system. It takes sometime, before they are reliable at all. Now that I've said all of this, I have unchecked the box "Notify me when a reply is posted" as I don't need to hear it!

Everyone has an opinion that is based on their personal experience. That said, all info is valuable and depends on the requirement of the system and user. IP has been a nightmare for me as someone who warrants their installs. I have discontinued IP at this time and have returned to 100% Analog/AHD/TVI wired and port forwarding anytime that the system allows it. Wireless is generally very unreliable and I won't even make a trip to service one anymore. As far as "resolution" is concerned, it once again is dependent upon reliability, requirements (distance and what you wish to see) and cost. As a dealer/installer/servicer, I try to supply a product that is as inexpensive as possible to my customers and at the same time a reliable system. And, that said, I won't ever recommend any system or company over another to someone on the net. That is a "menu" for trouble. If you follow any forum, you will find that no matter the manufacturer or type of equipment, someone has had a bad experience with it. Particularly with the newest technology that hasn't been proven yet. Just like a new computer operating system. It takes sometime, before they are reliable at all. Now that I've said all of this, I have unchecked the box "Notify me when a reply is posted" as I don't need to hear it!

If IP has been a problem for you, you are either installing it improperly and/or using low end gear. Its a shame you dont offer it to customers...at the very least you should run ethernet and use baluns so they can upgrade in the future without paying the extra cost of running new cable. You should also explain the benefits of IP to them and let them make their own determination.

Misskitty, would keeping the app open on your phone all the time increase your data usage a lot?

Yes, keeping the app open on your phone is going to use your data usage I am sure. But, I am sure Boogieman will have some thoughts on that as well.

Misskittykats

Yes, keeping the app open on your phone is going to use your data usage I am sure. But, I am sure Boogieman will have some thoughts on that as well.

Misskittykats

Not if you are on the same network ....a DVR offers no advantage in this regard. This is a common misconception.

True, if you have wifi turned on and connected you are not using any mobile data. If you are viewing in your house and wifi is turned off on your device, or if you are viewing outside your house that will use data.

Question for Boogieman...

If you are viewing your cams over your cell phone via your "OWN" wi fi connection via your router from your home internet provider.. say Comcast or ATT or Frontier, etc. You are not affecting your "OWN" data usage from your provider unless you are capped... would this be correct?.

But, if you are using cellular data on your phone to access the cams say Sprint, Verizon, T-Mobile.. you would be using the data usage on your phone which wouldn't be a problem if you are not capped but it you only had about a 1 or 3 G data plan, then you would want to watch your useage? .

Would that not be a correct assumption. Please educate me if I have something incorrect here.

Misskittykats

Question for Boogieman...

If you are viewing your cams over your cell phone via your "OWN" wi fi connection via your router from your home internet provider.. say Comcast or ATT or Frontier, etc. You are not affecting your "OWN" data usage from your provider unless you are capped... would this be correct?.

But, if you are using cellular data on your phone to access the cams say Sprint, Verizon, T-Mobile.. you would be using the data usage on your phone which wouldn't be a problem if you are not capped but it you only had about a 1 or 3 G data plan, then you would want to watch your useage? .

Would that not be a correct assumption. Please educate me if I have something incorrect here.

Misskittykats

Yes that is correct. The point is if you are home on your own network it doesnt matter. If you are away and using cellular then it will use your data BUT so will using a DVR!!!! There is no benefit of analog here. Also not that the APP does NOT have to be open and streaming the cameras to get alerts.

Also most phones would drain their battery if the app was open 24/7....having the app open 24/7 only makes sense if you are using a tablet on wifi or some android devices hooked up to your tv to watch the cams...again, no data usage.

my main focus here is being able to get a real time image or feed of my driveway as quickly as possible on my phone...

As that is the primary concern, not motion sensitivity or alarms, or the number of cameras...can anyone speak to how quickly/easily/accessible the solution they are suggesting makes this real time image or feed?

Are some apps better than the others?

Are systems which dont use the cloud quicker than those which require it?

Is a wireless IPcam going to be slower since the camera is trying to do more while a hardwired cctv system will be quicker since all the work is being done in a centralized controller?

Hi. Look for a camera that does not need a app . Avermedia cameras just save IP address in browser and straight in .... As quick as visiting a webpage

Some apps are quicker that others makers of the camera or recorder produce there own which might be quicker

Makes sense. Boogieman. Thanks for the reply. Always nice to get more educated on this stuff. I have never claimed to know it all. Just voicing my experience with my own equipment!

Good day

Misskittykats

Makes sense. Boogieman. Thanks for the reply. Always nice to get more educated on this stuff. I have never claimed to know it all. Just voicing my experience with my own equipment!

Good day

Misskittykats

I understand, but you need to understand that posting misinformation helps no one...you need to be certain about the information you are distributing..

hello all! obviously new here...have some challenges and I really need some direction on what type of camera/system I should be looking at to best meet my needs..hoping you all can help.

First of all, we cannot see the part of the driveway where people park from anywhere in the house really. We have a driveway sensor that alerts us when someone pulls in but then it is quite difficult to find out who the person is, what they are doing, or if they are coming to the front or back door. This is the biggest objective...I would like to easily be able to see who is in the driveway. In my mind the best way would be if I could tap an app on my phone (even if it only worked while I was at home on wifi) and see the driveway...but I really want it to be fast, I dont want to pick up my phone, tap an app, have it spend 15 seconds loading/connecting and then the person is already at my door. For example I use WEMO light switches, and it seems to take that app too long to launch, connect to its cloud service and be ready to go...so by the time I get to turn my driveway lights on, the guest has already come or gone.

I am not sure if there is a better option given that I am concerned about the time to load....like a system that somehow sends the livestream (maybe just using RG6?) to all the TVs in the house so wherever I am if I change the input when I hear the alarm go off, I can see a feed from the camera?

It might be nice to have the system take a still photo every X seconds and store that on a hard drive for some sort of peace of mind when I am not home, and I am open to installing a few more cameras if its some sort of system that supports multiple cameras (probably no more than 4 though).

We are in the middle of renovations right now so running wire, whether its RG6, CAT6 or electricity to the critical areas...shouldnt be a problem.

Thanks!

If you may look at DVR system, not IP camera system, then you can come across the right solution for you. DVR system offers instant spot video display, motion detection, alarming inut, and geting you signaled wherever you are on, email/message, whatever.

IP camera system may claim to do that in a very flexible way, but hard to find or to suite your needs.

Thanks!

If you may look at DVR system, not IP camera system, then you can come across the right solution for you. DVR system offers instant spot video display, motion detection, alarming inut, and geting you signaled wherever you are on, email/message, whatever.

IP camera system may claim to do that in a very flexible way, but hard to find or to suite your needs.

Absolutely false. IP systems can do all that and more. Including advanced motion detection like line crossing...Please stop posting purposely false info.

Absolutely false. IP systems can do all that and more. Including advanced motion detection like line crossing...Please stop posting purposely false info.

Then please recommend a good one to the original poster. To me, IP cameras already lost "flexibility". IP Cameras have become already "Canned Food" which do not allow you to cook on your own taste.

Then please recommend a good one to the original poster. To me, IP cameras already lost "flexibility". IP Cameras have become already "Canned Food" which do not allow you to cook on your own taste.

I already did.. See my post... Ip cameras are more flexible and superior in every way to analog.. Please explain how analog is superior.. It's not.. Analog is very limited... OP does not even need an nvr.. Just an ip camera with sd card slot.. Problem solved..

I already did.. See my post... Ip cameras are more flexible and superior in every way to analog.. Please explain how analog is superior.. It's not.. Analog is very limited... OP does not even need an nvr.. Just an ip camera with sd card slot.. Problem solved..

Sick and Tired. Better see a doctor on weekend