Sign in to follow this  
smokingjoe

4MP camera played back on 1080P monitor

Hi all

Could anyone tell me if there is any advantage to having a 4MP camera connected to a Dahua 4K NVR, recording at 2560X1440 if I am only using a 1080P monitor for playback?

It would seem to me that this setup would allow me to get a higher resolution when I use the digital zoom during playback because of the number of pixel in the recorded file. Maybe I am looking at this all wrong.

Thanks

Hi all

Could anyone tell me if there is any advantage to having a 4MP camera connected to a Dahua 4K NVR, recording at 2560X1440 if I am only using a 1080P monitor for playback?

It would seem to me that this setup would allow me to get a higher resolution when I use the digital zoom during playback because of the number of pixel in the recorded file. Maybe I am looking at this all wrong.

Thanks

You are, the benefit is when you zoom in for identification.

Hi all

Thanks

But surely you will gain nothing as the original definition will not be changed and so what you see in zoom will be no better. You will just fill up your hard drive quicker.

Hi all

Thanks

But surely you will gain nothing as the original definition will not be changed and so what you see in zoom will be no better. You will just fill up your hard drive quicker.

You are incorrect on both your statements. First, you will be able to view a clearer picture because as you zoom in the monitor is only displaying a small portion of of the 4mp image. For example, if you zoom in to 200 percent, you are looking at a roughly 1080p image on a 1080p monitor, you have more pixel density than using a 1080p camera. Second, storage space is not affected by the MP rating of the camera, the ONLY thing that affects storage is BITRATE. If you are a systems developer for cctv as you claim and not a spammer, you should know these basic facts about cameras.

Here is an extreme example. This is 1080p vs 4k (I understand the op is talking about a 4mp camera, but the same concept applies)

Watch the video at 1:25..this should help you understand and provide clarification.

That is kind of how I was thinking.

So if I digitally zoom into 1/4 of the screen of a file that was actually recorded at 2560X1440 (3.6 million pixels), would the video I am viewing have roughly 1 million pixels rather then zooming into 1/4 of the screen of a video file that was recorded at 1920X1080 (2 million pixels) giving me a video image with 500,000 pixels. It looks like I should have twice the resolution.

Can the demo video of 4K(UHD) camera clearly identify a face or license plate? Was it impossible to carry out such things before 4K camera was invented?.

Answer is Nope, for both.

You may be just wasting money for more HDD and new price tag of a new product. You will have less number frames per second. You will have many small problems of buffering or time lagging when the camera is added to your NVR to which many other cameras already connected. You will need a new expanded NVR that can decode and play back videos.

The camera for broadcasting is more expensive than cctv camera. 4K video can be enjoyed on 4K monitor. If you need one, buy 4K (8MP-UHD) cameras dropping 4MP camera? Why? Those guys who are now promoting 4MP will be talking badly about 4MP cameras when they start to promote 5MP/6MP/and 8MP -UHD cameras, soon.

Can the demo video of 4K(UHD) camera clearly identify a face or license plate? Was it impossible to carry out such things before 4K camera was invented?.

Answer is Nope, for both.

You may be just wasting money for more HDD and new price tag of a new product. You will have less number frames per second. You will have many small problems of buffering or time lagging when the camera is added to your NVR to which many other cameras already connected. You will need a new expanded NVR that can decode and play back videos.

The camera for broadcasting is more expensive than cctv camera. 4K video can be enjoyed on 4K monitor. If you need one, buy 4K (8MP-UHD) cameras dropping 4MP camera? Why? Those guys who are now promoting 4MP will be talking badly about 4MP cameras when they start to promote 5MP/6MP/and 8MP -UHD cameras, soon.

Your response is off topic. The op is in regards to any resolution higher than 1080 viewed on a 1080p monitor. The 4k camera CAN easily identify a plate, why do you say no? even a 1080p camera can identify a plate, the difference is that the 4k camera (assuming the same field of view) can identify a plate from MUCH further away. I urge you to buy and test high resolution cameras before giving this nonsense advice.

There are no buffering problems on high resoluon cameras - NONE. Not sure where you are getting that info from. 15fps is way more than you need. You DO NOT need a 4k monitor to benefit from 4K cameras as can be clearly seen in the ZOOMED in image in the youtube video.

That is kind of how I was thinking.

So if I digitally zoom into 1/4 of the screen of a file that was actually recorded at 2560X1440 (3.6 million pixels), would the video I am viewing have roughly 1 million pixels rather then zooming into 1/4 of the screen of a video file that was recorded at 1920X1080 (2 million pixels) giving me a video image with 500,000 pixels. It looks like I should have twice the resolution.

Note that 4mp is not twice as clear as 1080p, that all depends on the actual pixel density. The point is that you can benefit from higher res despite using a lower res monitor.

I missed one point: please google & check out "OV16880" data sheet from Omni. You would be surprised to learn 720P(1MP) camera can be made from 16MP sensor. But if you claim 16MP, you can get more money, even though true resolution fidelity (contrast) might be the same. The fact reveals when checking out the vidoes during low lighted condition. The quality from 16MP and 720P both show quite softened video. I know it is your money. But I like to ask you Why pay more?

I missed one point: please google & check out "OV16880" data sheet from Omni. You would be surprised to learn 720P(1MP) camera can be made from 16MP sensor. But if you claim 16MP, you can get more money, even though true resolution fidelity (contrast) might be the same. The fact reveals when checking out the vidoes during low lighted condition. The quality from 16MP and 720P both show quite softened video. I know it is your money. But I like to ask you Why pay more?

Well all the above is wrong .

What do you recommend for the op to go with HIS ALREADY PURCHASED recorder

I am not an English. Are you?. If so, please excuse my English.

I am not an English. Are you?. If so, please excuse my English.

On 4K

Why would more HDD be needed

Why would frames be low

How can 720 be same as 16mp

It is very hard to view this forum with the constant BS from the likes of Sunny Kim...Please refrain from hijacking every thread to further your viewpoint...I am sure there are many like me who like these forums and find them useful MINUS that...

Thanks

DMW

Going back to my original question I am guessing that I should be using a 4K HDMI cable to get this to work.

No. Did you read the responses? You DO NOT NEED a 4k monitor...

Thanks Boogieman for your input. It just seems to me that to have the 4K recorded file available at the monitor, to be utilized while I zoom in, I would need a 4K HDMI cable from the NVR to the monitor?

Thanks Boogieman for your input. It just seems to me that to have the 4K recorded file available at the monitor, to be utilized while I zoom in, I would need a 4K HDMI cable from the NVR to the monitor?

Then you did not understand what I wrote ..listen to everyone posing here. Use a 1080p monitor with standard hdmi cable. You are completely misunderstanding the concept.