Sign in to follow this  
neocortexcctv

New to CCTV - Need help finding best 3-4MB - Min 8 Cam Syste

I live in suburban residential area in Southern California My home is on a street corner where we have a lot of pedestrian traffic (walking dogs, running, etc.) We also have a consistent flow of traffic. I want to have cameras monitoring our front door, street corner and perimeter of our yard due to a lot of teenagers in the area. Good night vision for at least 20-30 feet would be a benefit.

Based on the research, I'd prefer to do wired PoE cameras vs. Wi-Fi and want to have good clarity and thinking about 4MB cameras. Is this accurate?

In terms of Dome vs. Bullet - what is the difference and pros/cons?

I have read several of the posts here and see some consistency in brands, but not sure were to shop. I've looked at the products offered by Costco and Sam's Club, as well as Fry's, but not many of those are mentioned in this forum.

I'm just looking for a solid brand that will have a solid software solution and a fairly low maintenance setup. I also want to be able to check my phone via an app.

Would appreciate any recommendations on brands / setups and looking to spend between $500 - $1000 for quality cameras and software that will last.

Aside from the cameras, cable and DVR, what else will I need as part of this setup?

Just a bit of a correction, you are looking for 3-4MP cameras not MB, MP is the abbreviation for megapixel (a measure of resolution) and MB is the abbreviation for megabyte (a measure of file size).

As for bullet vs. dome it is really just an aesthetic preference. Most folks prefer dome for a cleaner look, but it depends on the application. Sometimes a bullet makes more sense for ease of adjustability, but it is really just a personal preference.

Based on your description is sounds like at least 4 cameras, but probably more like 6. I would look at an 8 camera setup and if you want to stay on the low end of things budget wise, the Costco is not nearly as bad as the junk sold on ebay. They will work for your needs and will have the IR capability (night vision) you are looking for too. If you hate them, at least the wiring will be in place for a replacement down the road. I have never looked at any of those Costco options, but they are all re-branded Dahua or Hkvision cameras for the most part and for basic home stuff they will do just fine.

Bullet cameras can be knocked out of aim easier than a dome by someone using a stick. I seem to have more problems with spiders on my bullet camears too, but it could just be my situation.

As snappy posted, the Costco kits are very good, but there is another thread about best ip camera and Axis is mentioned the most.