Sign in to follow this  
deviant

Thinking my mom got swindeled.

So long story short, i'm a software engineer and my mom never decides to consult me about tech stuff until after she makes a purchase and gets ripped off, i'm afraid this may be a similar situation. Now I don't know much about security cameras or a lot of other topics, but I know enough to research and search forums to hopefully find the best choice for my needs and i usually do ok for myself.

She went to her alarm guy, didn't shop around, and spent a little over $3,000 to have an 8 camera security system installed. This sounds pricey to me. I'm not sure what kind of cameras they are, the invoice only says "3mp cameras" they are IR illuminated, but i know nothing of the specs. She got an ltn8708-p8 NVR with the camera system. The streaming web interface doesn't seem to be compatible with her mac, requires some kind of plugin to play video. She has to access the NVR directly or use her cell phone. I can't find much about the NVR, but from looking at the specs they don't look that great. And the interface seems to be nothing spectacular but I don't know much about this.

I feel like we're kind of stuck with the labor charges for running the wiring, but maybe we can get a refund on the parts and i can replace everything with better equipment if this stuff isn't up to snuff. I'll of course need to figure out the specs on the cameras they installed, not sure how to do that though since they're mounted near the roof. Is there someway to extract this info from the NVR? or from the cameras directly through what i'm assuming is a built in POE switch on the NVR?

Looks like that is an LTS nvr not LTN..its made by hikvision..likely the cameras are hikvision as well...they are very good cameras.

3000 is a good price for an 8 camera system like that installed. Not sure why you think its a bad deal. You need to learn about this stuff before accusing installers of ripping her off. There are many installers who are cheats but based on what you said so far it doesnt seem to be the case.

U$3,000 could be a bit too much. Herebelow, U$299 was quoted in

viewtopic.php?f=54&t=49370

That is a system that is on sale, 4 cameras NOT 8 with no installation and no drive. Sunny you need to compare apples to apples. In the US the labor rate is much higher than your native china. We are taking about running ethernet professional through the house. Plus providing service and warranty. There is big price difference between installing yourself and having a professional do it. Doesn't mean the professional ripped you off.

I feel like we're kind of stuck with the labor charges for running the wiring, but maybe we can get a refund on the parts and i can replace everything with better equipment if this stuff isn't up to snuff. I'll of course need to figure out the specs on the cameras they installed, not sure how to do that though since they're mounted near the roof. Is there someway to extract this info from the NVR? or from the cameras directly through what i'm assuming is a built in POE switch on the NVR?

That way is going to cost your mom more money ....... Let's say the labour is 1.500 and NVR and cameras are another 1.500 ... Your moms 3k

You try and find a good system for less than 1.500. Then time to re install ..... Then can you give your mom the warranty and service call the installer would of added .... Think your idea will cost your mom more

What will be the reason you give to the installer to remove the cameras .......you found cheaper on eBay

Your own admission you say you know nothing about CCTV . Or types of cameras fitted

3k is not a lot for your mom to have paid. You have not even said how large your moms home is

But it sounds like your mom has had a system installed by a pro ... And also giving here service and backup with being fitted by a pro

There is software for the Mac that should work with that NVR. It sounds to me like the installer might have skipped that part of the setup. Maybe try calling the installer and asking why they did not setup a viewing client on her Mac.