Sign in to follow this  
mikeloew1

security camera disclosure notifacation question

Guys I have a vacation rental home that I rent out on a weekly basis. I have a hidden camera that overlooks my dock and my boat. Do I have to make public to my renters that I have this camera in place?

From what I have read is you must make everyone aware if the camera is in a spot that is deemed a reasonable right to privacy. I do not consider an outdoor camera affording a reasonable right to privacy, as any of the close neighbors can see the same thing I am looking at. At the same time I can not help but see some of the tenants using the area the cam covers. What are your thoughts?

Honestly, this is a question that requires an attorney to answer properly. The laws vary widely from state to state, and even more so because there are renters involved. I would consult at least one (and probably two) attorneys to make sure all my bases were covered. A one hour consult with an attorney is FAR cheaper than a potential lawsuit.

Guys I have a vacation rental home that I rent out on a weekly basis. I have a hidden camera that overlooks my dock and my boat. Do I have to make public to my renters that I have this camera in place?

From what I have read is you must make everyone aware if the camera is in a spot that is deemed a reasonable right to privacy. I do not consider an outdoor camera affording a reasonable right to privacy, as any of the close neighbors can see the same thing I am looking at. At the same time I can not help but see some of the tenants using the area the cam covers. What are your thoughts?

Having read this post I am reminded that I also am interested in this topic. Try Google as there seems to be more articles that I can read on short time.

Good luck.

Al

Hi. Yes you will have to tell your renters and let them deside if they want to rent or not.

Holiday rental or hotel suite. Your renting a private space ..... Don't think you would rent a hotel suite if had covert camera ?

Even family with children .... Covert recording might give you problems you don't want.

If it is your boat you are protecting then fit a tracking system ... For around $60

Of course you'd better to let others know that you have the camera ,it's good for your property protection,also checking the behavior of the people .