maillme

Drilling through my home - cable bundle is big (Foscam)

Hi All,

First time user of forum

First time user of CCTV

Our house got robbed over christmas - so now i want to have a CCTV system. I purchased a Foscam F19853EP. I intend to mount this on the outside of the house, out of arms reach - maybe 10ft up or so above the back door.

I have a few questions.

1. Do you have any tips on the how to avoid drilling such a large hole? E.g. the cable itself is approx 7mm - but if you include the whole bundle of cables which would need to pass (namely the RJ45 connection) - it could easilly need a 20mm hole drilled straight through my wall - and I'd like to avoid this - has anyone unwired the camera? (I dont really wish to do this).

2. Do you have any tips for drilling a hole through my walls? E.g. can I start from the inside out or should I go from outside in (need to be up a ladder). I have an SDS drill. I then intend to use silicon sealant to block the hole.

Many thanks,

Neil

Thank you Synology,

OK, I think that's what I will do.

I had another question with regards to mounting the junction box. My walls are not plasterboard / drywall - it's brick and plaster skimmed over it (I live in Amsterdam).

In order to have the RJ45 socket at a nice level - e.g. next to electrical outlets - in relation to where I want to place my cameras - this woudl mean mounting the junction box below the camera's - by around 200mm - I'm not sure if it it is good to mount the junction box below, above or to the side? I'm weary of any junction bo as it can be tampered with - but I guess if burglars are going to go to that length to get in, they will do anything (and just smash the camera or paint over the lens).

So, in your experience - where would you recommend mounting the junction box?

thanks again,

Neil

Thanks Synology,

So you recommend then having the junction box a little higher than the camera's?

Neil

I just realised another problem, all the junction boes have punch-outs - which, again are not big enough for the cable block (the RJ45 one) - so I need to buy a huge one, which then means the entries will be too large for the cable - and of course can leak.....

Can anyone recommend another solution? (apologies - I'm new to this!)

thanks again,

Neil

Yes, that's the ones - I'm sure there are larger ones, but then the cable inlets are huge, right?

My intention was to mount one next to the cameras (e.g. not put the camera's on top) as the camera is quite heavy....

thanks,

neil