Sign in to follow this  
tsanox

Camera Image Incredibly Grainy/Noisy after power cut

Hi all, have a continuing issue with my Swann home security cameras hoping someone may have some insight or dealt with in the past.

In the years having our Swann 6camera kit installed, we've had a number of blackouts, or the house power being turned off at the mains, powerboards being unplugged/accidently switched off etc.

The cameras and the DVR unit lose power in these instances also.

The problem is that SEVERAL times now, and SEVERAL cameras, have extremely grainy image quality (attached photo showing the grainy image that exists after the poweroff/power on) after the system is powered back up again after the power outage.

Each time it has happened it's happened to 1 camera at a time.

I've had to replace the cameras each time.

They stay permanently grainy image, on SOME rare occasions, they would revert to proper image quality on their own until the next power-cycle when they will revert and then stay that way permanently no matter how many times the system is power cycled.

The question is..

How can the power to the unit/cameras suddenly being turned off, ruin the image quality the cameras can produce?

If it was a power surge I could understand, but we're just talking about the power being turned off.

also - the dvr and cameras are always plugged into a power surge protected powerboard.

any advice would be helpful thanks.

quality.thumb.jpg.dfd9cb02648cdd60cc64481c08382263.jpg

Have you considered using an uninterrupted power source? (UPS)

What are you doing with the cameras that don't seem to work any more? Have you tested them in any way other than having them connected to the DVR?

Stop replacing them with Swann cameras

haha, What is the general consensus on Swann cameras?

Any other recommended affordable(comparably) products to use instead?

What are you doing with the cameras that don't seem to work any more? Have you tested them in any way other than having them connected to the DVR?

Chucking them in the garage, have done no other testing other than trying them in other ports on the DVR, giving them a smack and a shake etc.

Was interested in hearing if there was some other tests one can perform to identify the problem.

Ie. open it up and check circuitry or something

Stop replacing them with Swann cameras

haha, What is the general consensus on Swann cameras?

Any other recommended affordable(comparably) products to use instead?

Chucking them in the garage, have done no other testing other than trying them in other ports on the DVR, giving them a smack and a shake etc.

Was interested in hearing if there was some other tests one can perform to identify the problem.

Ie. open it up and check circuitry or something

The first thing I would do is connect them to a monitor and see what the image looks like. Maybe tap one and see if anything changes. Take one apart and look at the wires to see if there's any discoloration. Blow out with air can. Scratch my head. Have a beer. Repeat until everything is blurry.

Hi,

are these analog? If so, connect one directly to another tv or monitor and see if the image is the same. (balun to rca plug into a tv for viewing). If it is still blurry connected directly to a tv or monitor, then try to reset the camera. Does the camera have OSD (on screen display) menu for settings?

I'm thinking that it's either your cabling that's bad, or the dvr settings, or the camera's settings.

By connecting the camera directly to a tv or monitor you can see if it's your cabling or dvr that is

the problem. If they are IP, do the same thing, just connect them directly to the computer, bypassing he dvr. Sometimes a bad cable will show blurry image, and sometimes a voltage power drop in the wire will cause this.