Sign in to follow this  
Al Drake

Adding filters to cameras

I want to add filters and perhaps telephoto lenses to a camera and need lens adapters. These particular filters are polarizing and others I have for camcorders and are 37mm threads. I also have larger ones but I thought I'd try the smaller ones for testing the effects. I have been searching for ring adapters CS to 37mm but have come up empty. Has anyone ever toyed with this idea and if so have a source of rings?

Thank for any suggestions.

Al.

CS to 37 MM??? I am not sure that would work.

You may be right. What I'm looking for a ring that has the CS style threads on one end and 37mm internal threads on the other. I can at least replaced the CS lenses with 37mm lenses I use on a camcorder. Then I can add whatever filter I need to the added lens.

CS is how a whole lens mounts on the camera, the 37mm etc is a filter thread, which has no active parts or can be used to put a crude macro or fisheye lens onto the end of an existing lens.

If such an adapter existed you would just get a solid blur like with no lens on the camera as there would be nothing to focus an image on the sensor. I have not seen a thread on the end of any CCTV lenses for a filter yet, but I have not looked at that many of them.

CS is how a whole lens mounts on the camera, the 37mm etc is a filter thread, which has no active parts or can be used to put a crude macro or fisheye lens onto the end of an existing lens.

If such an adapter existed you would just get a solid blur like with no lens on the camera as there would be nothing to focus an image on the sensor. I have not seen a thread on the end of any CCTV lenses for a filter yet, but I have not looked at that many of them.

Hello and thanks for your reply.

It seems what I'm looking for is a lens adapter ring that screws into where the usual lens goes. I purchased this:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B007Q8IHKE?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o02_s00

Which works fine then I got this:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B006Z70T5S?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s00

Thinking it would mount the same as it says it's a CS mount but the threads are not the same as the others so I'm confused. I'm trying to build my own camera using lenses and filters I can buy and have from a camcorder. I'm just experimenting for now and I know I'll have to make an enclosure but I can't figure out what I need to purchase for lenses.

I was successful with adding lenses to the camcorder by just using adapter rings.