jimmyNJ

Cat5e baluns, 4 camera, horizontal lines

I am using Cat5e with baluns. Each cable run is fairly short, 25 - 100ft, 4 cameras, all dome, 12vdc.

I am using a single 4 output power supply, 12vdc, 5amp.

During the day 1 cameras shows horizontal lines, sporadically. This was the last camera added to the system. The first 3 worked fine.

At night with the lights out, 2 other cameras show horizontal lines. I figure it is the IR working hard to maintain the picture.

Would it be smart to swap out the power supply with 4 individual power supplies? Or is it my cheap baluns? The whole system is on a small UPS.

To see if it is a power issue or if it's the cat5 cable giving off interference unplug the 4 way splitter and power 1 camera off the main 5a power supply and see if it's still doing the same , if it is then you know it's down to the cabling and not the power supply

I am running power and video on a single Cat5e cable. Male Rj45 plugs into a balun on each end.

during the day, 3 out of 4 cameras are clear, at night with lights out 3 out of 4 cameras have lines.

And these for power. The way I wire them is use 1 pair for video then you'll be left with 3 remaining pairs , I use the solid colours for positive then the opposite colours for negative , for the video balun I use the blue pair and the solid for positive and pale blue for negative

image.jpeg.ae02cc08b06ec4450302070035444479.jpeg

I've always used Rg59 siamese. this is my first time with baluns. Another installer led me down this path so the customer is ready if they later upgrade to IP cameras. i hate to re-run cable but it appears that may be required. Will be going back to test soon.

With the advent of the newer AHD/TVI systems, I'm staying with Siamese RG59/18-2. Not going to fight the issues with what you have found also.

Kind of off the point, but the only "cat" that I use anymore is cat5 for LAN networking and cat6 to network CCTV between buildings for a central location control.

Hi. The problem is your baluns ....... The type with rj45 connection defeats the object of using baluns as 1 too many connections and 2 they only use 1 pair for power which is not enough for 100ft.

Change to single balun and use more pairs for power.... Save you a lot of time and money changing to rg59

I won't ever be using cat5 again part from ip cams or lan connections to the dvr , I think it's too fiddly to do the baluns using cat5 , it's more time consuming aswell compared to using rg59

I won't ever be using cat5 again part from ip cams or lan connections to the dvr , I think it's too fiddly to do the baluns using cat5 , it's more time consuming aswell compared to using rg59

Hi. Use good baluns and it's much easier than BNC connectors

Hi. The problem is your baluns ....... The type with rj45 connection defeats the object of using baluns as 1 too many connections and 2 they only use 1 pair for power which is not enough for 100ft.

Change to single balun and use more pairs for power.... Save you a lot of time and money changing to rg59

Hi, so then you do not recommend using this kind of Baluns in small installations, I mean small places, like 10 meters maximum path of cat5e for each camera ( using max 4 cameras 1200 TVL with IR) away from the power source 12v 5amp?

Balun-power-3.jpg.1da34c9e4567413e4c0ba553fdc78dd2.jpg