jimmyNJ

Storage Shed project

I have two storage shed projects in a city environment. There is only AC power in the shed. No network, no wifi, no line of sight.

Customer stores bikes, tools and equipment in the shed. We plan to put a IP dome camera with 128gb sd card in camera for recording of motion events. I suppose if the camera is stolen, we're screwed.

Just curious if there is a better way to accomplish this.

Options are:

* Remote

* Hide

* Harden

You were saying remote isn't an option (unless you go cellular...pricey)

Hiding depends on the site, but often doable.

Hardening depends more on cost, but also doable.

For the construction sites I do for solar-powered stuff, we harden (in layers), do lots of signage, and have cellular. Works well, but that's $25k setups. Hardening is doable on a smaller scale though probably for hundreds depending on the site...and somebody who can weld, or bolt some heavy stuff together.

One location will have power, the second will not have power close by. There will be power available on an adjacent property that we've been given permission. However the camera will be about 70 feet from the garage door of the shed and about 15" high. I've explained to the customer the best spot is next to the shed, there are utility poles there but Im sure they are off limits for mounting a camera. So we're left with a 70 foot distance.

We still want to go with an IP camera and sd card but we're reconsidering the camera we've chosen which is a 4.1Mp IP dome ip camera. Our supplier is suggesting a 4.1mp ip camera with varifocal lens (bullet) and the sd card. We want to see who is entering and exiting the shed and what they're carrying (weedwacker, leaf blower, tools, equipment).

Any specific camera recommendations?

I am also thinking of attaching a wireless bridge to the camera so that we can drive up to the camera location and wirelessly retrieve the videos from the camera. There is no internet available here. Does that sound like a good idea?

Just an update I did one location using a solar panel. I bought a windy nation charge controller unit, a 50 watt solar panel and a 100AH deep cycle battery. I figure the battery would run 1 IP camera 12v, 1a for about 4 days. There is plenty of sun available here.

I used 18/2 wire to power the camera and run power from the panel to the windy nation unit.

So far it works well!

Nice!

How many amps does your charge controller run? I imagine even 10A controller is well above what your PV panel is pushing out.