Shamrock

Will someone please recommend a CCTV/DVR

Looking for something Hi Def with 6-8 cameras and a 1tb DVR.

This will be for home use.

I have seen similar looking packages from $300.00 to $3000.00 but I don't know how to cut through the fluff and stuff and chose a good setup.

You might want to invest in a larger capacity storage.

1TB for 8 Cams @ 2048kbps each will only allow store around 6 days of recording.

High-Def

Good choice on that.

When I'm doing a new-install, I don't bother with coax/High-Def analog (TVI, CVI, AHD, SDI, etc.) and I go straight to IP systems using Cat5e/6 wiring.

IP

The cams can be 1 megapixel (MP), 2 (which is about 1080P like Blu-ray), 3, 4, 5, 8....it goes way up..as does the price. The sweet spot for pricing was in the 3MP range last year, but lately, the 4MP IP cams have come down in price and seem to be the best bang for the buck.

IP NVR

The NVR will have to be able to record at whatever the cams are giving. A midrange Hikvision NVR will take 5MP recordings or lower.

Throughput - Each cam is transmitting an amount of data (such as the above-mentioned 2048kbps...most cams are adjustable too to balance detail vs data usage). A mid-level Hikvision NVR might handle 50Mbps...so more than enough. But a no-name-cheap-NVR might only handle 10Mbps...so hooking up 8 cams to the el-cheapo model might bog down the recordings a bit.

Hikvision are brilliant.

Agreed, they're quite good.

You might want to invest in a larger capacity storage.

Agreed. Most of my small business installs like to have about a month-worth of storage.

Cams

This will be specific to where they need to be.

Ball/turret cams

Dome cams

bullet cams

lens (telephoto vs wide angle)

weather resistant

vandal resistant

Brand A/B mixing

We do have a common protocol known as ONVIF...it does work. But it isn't perfect. When I'm doing a ground-up install, I simply stay with one brand and it avoids the Brand A/B mixing question.

We do have a common protocol known as ONVIF...it does work. But it isn't perfect. When I'm doing a ground-up install, I simply stay with one brand and it avoids the Brand A/B mixing question.

I won't rely on ONVIF unless there's absolutely no choices like you. Too much of a hit and miss. Even if it support, it support mostly basic function such as video streaming for recording.

Onvif is a good thing

What has to be checked is if the seller lists onvif as a selling point ...if there not a partner then it will have problems

It's a global standardisation for IP based systems.

Just like yesterday someone posted a link from a system from eBay . Product was from China

8 way 960h onvif dvr......... Does not exist

Onvif can only be relied on from brand name companies