th3bloody9

Network Cabling Questions For Outdoor IP Cameras

I'm trying to plan out a CCTV setup for a farm (new to CCTV) but various cable options have me confused. A rough estimate is that I will need around 370m of cable (8 POE Hikvision cameras and one 150m run).

The 150m run will be buried alongside a power cable. Other runs will exposed to elements in some places (outside runs spanning sheds etc.). Things I've determined:

• CCA (Copper Coated Aluminium) cable is no good
  • I should be using solid core for fixed runs (vs stranded)

Things I'm not sure about:

1. Is Cat6 overkill?
  2. Should I use shielded? I can see it's advised for runs next to power lines (but have read some reports that it's not needed even then)
  3. Should I buy outdoor rated cable (seems to have black outer PVC sheath)
  4. Is conduit necessary for all cable exposed to outdoors?
  5. What is best option for extending 100m limit to approx. 150m… baluns? if so are these ok with shielded cable?
  6. Should each cable run to a camera be terminated in patch panel then use stranded patch cable to connect camera?
  7. Can multiple cameras run off one cable? if so it worth it?

Sorry for so many questions! any help/advise would be much appreciated.

yes to cat 6 by now it should be cheap enough and you never know what additional devices you may use in the future. Plus it usually is a little bigger 23 ga so you may get some additonal current carrying ability

Direct bury outdoor rated yes

you do not need shielded

I assume you are going to run the cables in a seperate conduit next to the power not in the same conduit.

The cost of plastic conduit is not very much in relation to the whole cost of the project so I would use it.

On the head end patch panel and patch cords on the camera end you will have to look at what type of mounting you are planning we like to put a jack on the cable an use a patch cord where we can as opposed to putting plugs on the cables.

You can use one cable to feed the data back but you will need full poe for each individual camera

Many thanks your reply that really helps clear some things up

I assume you are going to run the cables in a separate conduit next to the power not in the same conduit.

On the buried 150m run the plan is to bury a power cable too at the same time. I thought it just made sense to put them both in the same conduit but should I be using separate conduit for each?

Running high voltage cables beside low voltage cables in conduit is not recommended and is not code approved...

Yep code violation plus a chance for a whole lot of problems. check out the price of the conduit and you would be foolish to try and save money on that. your cost are in opening and closing the ditch.

Just did a quick internet search and plastic in ten ft sections 1 and 1/4 conduit is about a 1.00 per ft could probably look around and get it cheaper locally.

Hi, Would there be any reason not to run a power cable and take of at certain points power for using WiFi repeaters, using this method you should have no signal loss, nor have problem with regulation (LV/MVoltage) 1 repeater placed in a good location may be used for more than 1 camera and as a second consideration WiFI may have other uses for the owner, any long runs use cable when it suits it may be better than running cables due to losses in the cable

Hi, Would there be any reason not to run a power cable and take of at certain points power for using WiFi repeaters, using this method you should have no signal loss, nor have problem with regulation (LV/MVoltage) 1 repeater placed in a good location may be used for more than 1 camera and as a second consideration WiFI may have other uses for the owner, any long runs use cable when it suits it may be better than running cables due to losses in the cable

This is a dumb idea. Wifi is not a good solution for cameras. You have a misunderstand of IP cameras and POE. There is NO signal loss as long as the cable is 100 meters or less (many have gone much longer). If you have never installed cameras before its better to hold back improper advice like this.