Sign in to follow this  
pbrise

PoE Switch Recomendations for TRENDnet Cameras

I am looking to purchase 3 to 4 TrendNET outdoor PoE cameras (model: TV-IP311PI). I read some reviews on this camera and they said that this is a great model camera that I can purchase on a small budget. I have installed other Wireless indoor cameras (Foscam, VistaCam) on my network however I am not satisfied with the picture quality of these cameras. I have a project that is coming up to install some outdoor cameras and I have read that the way to go is to use PoE cameras wired into PoE switches. I do have some technical experience in Networking, however very little, just simple networks and never any devices that use PoE. I also use the iSpy software to remotely view and record to Google Drive.

Can someone out there recommend a 8 port PoE switch that I can use with these TV-IP311PI cameras? A switch that would suffice in terms of Power Requirements for at least 6 of these cameras. Would I need PoE injectors if I use these cameras?

I would also like to know of any other recommendations that others have used (ie: type of cameras used, network switches, etc.)

Any POE switch will do. Nothing special about IP cameras that you have to get a specific switch. I use TP Link switches, but there are other good brands out there. 10/100 MPS ports are fine. Gigabyte ports are not necessary. You do not need POE injectors. Those are used if you do not have a POE switch. I would recommend giving each camera a static IP address.

Any POE switch will do. Nothing special about IP cameras that you have to get a specific switch. I use TP Link switches, but there are other good brands out there. 10/100 MPS ports are fine. Gigabyte ports are not necessary. You do not need POE injectors. Those are used if you do not have a POE switch. I would recommend giving each camera a static IP address.

If op is going to run all the cameras at a high bitrate, a gigabit switch (or at least a switch with a gigabit uplink) with more headroom is recommend particularly if op will daisychain another switch of it.

Boogieman, what type of 8 port PoE switch should I get that is reliable? and fairly cheap, say under $200? I just do not want to spend a fortune (ie: $1000, for a high end cisco switch).

Has anyone else had any experience with TRENDnet cameras? Are they fairly reliable, with a good picture?

Boogieman, what type of 8 port PoE switch should I get that is reliable? and fairly cheap, say under $200? I just do not want to spend a fortune (ie: $1000, for a high end cisco switch).

Has anyone else had any experience with TRENDnet cameras? Are they fairly reliable, with a good picture?

Do you want a managed switch or unmanaged. Both can be had for well under 200.

Some trendnet cameras are rebranded hikvision. Its depends on the model.

Unmanaged should do fine, which one would you suggest?

Note you can only attached 8 cameras to this switch because you need an uplink.

http://www.amazon.com/TP-LINK-TL-SG1008PE-8-Port-Gigabit-802-3at/dp/B00E6LID0S/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1454249122&sr=8-3&keywords=8+port+poe

Or you can use two 10/100 switches with 4 cams attached to each.

http://www.amazon.com/TP-LINK-TL-SF1008P-100Mbps-8-Port-802-3af/dp/B003CFATT2/ref=sr_1_4?s=pc&ie=UTF8&qid=1454249210&sr=1-4&keywords=poe+switch

Power is power (as long as it's clean...uninterrupted...etc.)

I've been happy using both Trendnet and TPlink stuff for years without any more issues than other brands.