TheUberOverLord

How To Access Your IP Cameras From Linux or a Mac

If you have a Linux system or a Mac system which has not been able to access your IP Cameras. Due to your IP Cameras Plug-in or Interface only supporting Windows. Here are methods that will and do work.

Note: Using the Windows 7 VM ("Virtual Machine") is suggested. Because these VM's created by Microsoft, were built in 2014 and Windows 8, 8.1 and 10 were less stable than Windows 7 at that time.

Please go here from a browser in Linux. This will work for a Mac as well if you select the Mac tab:

https://dev.windows.com/en-us/microsoft-edge/tools/vms/linux/

Choose:

Virtual Machine: IE 9 on Win7

Select Platform: VirtualBox

Download the file onto your Linux system.

Then click on "View Installation Instructions" ("From the web page at the link above") and read it and also save the .pdf to your Linux system as well. For future reference.

In Linux. Use the Linux Archive Manager to extract the .zip file after the above download completes. Once done, there should be a *.ova file in the same folder as the .zip file.

In Linux, install VirtualBox. In Ubuntu for example, you can use the "Ubuntu Software Center" to do this by searching for "VirtualBox" and then installing it.

After installing VirtualBox. In Linux. Right click on the *.ova file and then choose open with VirtualBox. It will show default settings. I would stick with the 25GB and change memory from 512 MB to 1024 MB. ("It will work with the 512 MB default but it's slow to load the cameras web interface"). Then create the Virtual machine.

This will allow you to use a Windows 7 VM with both Linux and Mac systems emulating a Windows 7 System a using IE ("Internet Explorer") 9 browser which is compatible with the cameras plug-in. You can then start/stop the VM as needed to access your IP Cameras.

While this is not a perfect solution, due to the additional disk space and memory resources it requires. It does work well to access your IP Cameras from a Linux system or if you have a Mac and you have been unable to access your IP Cameras from your system. At minimum, it will allow you to setup and configure your IP Cameras. From a Linux or Mac system.

Note: You will need to recreate the VM every 90 days because Microsoft forces this VM to expire after 90 days.

After the VM starts. The desktop background will always contain instructions on how to activate and extend the VM. Please read those instructions carefully.

You should be able to also create a "Snapshot" in VirtualBox to reset the expiration. If you take that snapshot prior to initially starting the VM for the first time, after you have set the defaults for the VM. But I have not had it running for 90 days yet to expire. So not sure about that actually working or not.

If that works as claimed ("Update: It does work as claimed") would allow you to delete the .zip and .ova file that were required to initially setup the VM. Freeing up near 8 GB of disk space. By simply loading the VM from the initial Snapshot whenever the VM expires.

You can delete the VM and VirtualBox afterwards. Any time you wish. If you simply want to try this method and change your mind later. Regaining any disk space used by the VM.

If desired. Once you use the VM to setup and configure your IP Camera. You can/could also use methods like this to check on your IP Cameras using any Internet browser capable device which is using any browser. From within your local network and/or remotely. Without any need to start and run the VM to do so. Just another possible access method for your IP Cameras, once they have been configured:

http://107.170.59.150/

Don

Edited by Guest

I run Ubuntu 15.10 on a Laptop that is a triple boot system for Windows 8.1, Windows 10.1 and Ubuntu 15.10. Using this Windows 7 VM from within Ubuntu 15.10, also allows me besides accessing the IP Cameras interface. To now have access to four different Operating Systems on the same system. For testing.

For the curious. The laptop is a Dell 3541 Inspiron running Windows 8.1 and guaranteed to be upgradeable to Windows 10 ("Which it was") , 4GB ram, 500GB drive, 8X DVD +/- RW Drive, 4 CPU cores clocked at 1.8 - 2.4 GHz (With turbo boost) with a touch screen and 15.60 screen size.

Which I was able to purchase from the Dell Outlet on Jan 24, 2016 as a "Scratch and Dent" refurbished laptop from Dell that includes a 1 year warranty ("Which I could have paid extra to extend") for $212.68 U.S. Which included tax and shipping. Original price was $199.00 U.S. Which included shipping, but did not include tax. It was delivered on Jan 29, 2016. Five days after ordering it.

Interesting enough, I could find no "Scratches or Dents". I checked the Dell outlet laptops being sold daily for 2 weeks before finding this deal. It works well and being a developer which includes developing applications for IP Cameras. I now use this laptop as my primary system yet I have 4 other systems which I was using that each had individually and standalone Operating systems of Vista, Win 7, Win 8.1 and a Win 10 with Ubuntu 12.04 LTS as a dual boot.

I can upgrade to 8GB ram max and may in the future, but my highest ram usage currently is in the high 60 percentiles. Even while running Ubuntu 15.10 with a Win 7 VM running along side it, at the same time. While I have the 500GB disk partitioned to support each Operating System. I have plenty of free disk space. For each disk partition.

I partitioned the 500GB disk:

Win 8.1 300GB

Win 10 75GB

Ubuntu 15.10 50GB - The Win7 VM uses disk space from here.

I can reallocate disk space as needed in the future as well.

I installed each Operating System using the same 8GB USB memory card/stick. Reformatting it after each install. Making sure that all my Windows versions were installed first. Using a Microsoft Utility called "Windows USB/DVD Download Tool" for converting the latest Microsoft ISO for the Windows 10 version. Then finally, converting the ISO for Ubuntu 15.10 with "Rufus" to install Ubuntu 15.10.

Most people don't realize that because Win 7, Win 8 and Win 8.1 can upgrade to Windows 10 for FREE. That if one chooses. One can install Windows 10 and it will activate using the Key for the prior Operating System while running as a dual boot and not replacing that Operating System. Allowing you to run what you have and also use Windows 10. One simply needs to choose the "Custom Install" option and choose a disk or a disk area on the same disk of where Windows 10 should be installed, during the USB memory card boot.

Everything was taken care of automatically. I did not need to edit any Windows boot-loader options or change any Ubuntu GRUB configuration.

My Bios allows me to choose which boot loader to use. Ubuntu or Windows. I chose Windows. Because I can use F12 during boot to select Ubuntu to boot from at any time and when using the Windows boot-loader, there is an option to boot from Ubuntu. By selecting the choice to boot from another device. The Ubuntu boot-loader also has an option to go to the Bios F12 boot selector as well. So, I have many different options to get to any Operating System.

Don

Edited by Guest

I run Ubuntu 15.10 on a Laptop that is a triple boot system for Windows 8.1, Windows 10.1 and Ubuntu 15.10. Using this Windows 7 VM, also allows me besides accessing the IP Cameras. To now have access to four different Operating Systems on the same system. For testing.

For the curious. The laptop is a Dell 3541 Inspiron running Windows 8.1 and guaranteed to be upgradeable to Windows 10 ("Which it was") , 4GB ram, 500GB drive, 8X DVD +/- RW Drive, 4 CPU cores clocked at 1.8 - 2.4 GHz (With turbo boost) with a touch screen and 15.60 screen size.

Which I was able to purchase from the Dell Outlet on Jan 24, 2016 as a "Scratch and Dent" refurbished laptop from Dell that includes a 1 year warranty ("Which I could have paid extra to extend") for $212.68 U.S. Which included tax and shipping. Original price was $199.00 U.S. Which included shipping, but did not include tax. It was delivered on Jan 29, 2016. Five days after ordering it.

Interesting enough, I could find no "Scratches or Dents". I checked the Dell outlet laptops being sold daily for 2 weeks before finding this deal. It works well and being a developer which includes developing applications for IP Cameras. I now use this laptop as my primary system yet I have 4 other systems which I was using that each had individually and standalone Operating systems of Vista, Win 7, Win 8.1 and a Win 10 with Ubuntu 12.04 LTS as a dual boot.

I can upgrade to 8GB ram max and may in the future, but my highest ram usage currently is in the high 60 percentiles. Even while running Ubuntu 15.10 with a Win 7 VM running along side it, at the same time. While I have the 500GB disk partitioned to support each Operating System. I have plenty of free disk space. For each disk partition.

Win 8.1 300GB

Win 10 75GB

I installed each Operating System using a 8GB USB memory card after converting the ISO with "Rufus" for Ubuntu 15.10 and a Microsoft Utility called "Windows USB/DVD Download Tool" for converting the Microsoft ISO for the Windows 10 version.

Most people don't realize that because Win 7, Win 8 and Win 8.1 can upgrade to Windows 10 for FREE. That if one chooses. One can install Windows 10 and it will activate using the Key for the prior Operating System while running as a dual boot and not replacing that Operating System. Allowing you to run what you have and also use Windows 10. One simply needs to choose the "Custom Install" option and choose a disk or a disk area on the same disk of where Windows 10 should be installed, during the USB memory card boot.

Everything was taken care of automatically. I did not need to edit any Windows boot-loader options or change any Ubuntu GRUB configuration.

My Bios allows me to choose which boot loader to use. Ubuntu or Windows. I chose Windows. Because I can use F12 during boot to select Ububtu to boot from at any time and when using the Windows boot-loader, there is an option to boot from Ubuntu. By selecting the choice to boot from another device. The Ubuntu boot-loader also has an option to go to the Bios F12 boot selector as well. So, I have many different options to get to any Operating System.

Don

Please be aware that despite what Donny says, using your free windows 10 upgrade to dual boot into windows 7/8 is not sanctioned by Microsoft and you may be committing software piracy.

Donny will post a bunch of random links that simply discuss the upgrade process, that have NOTHING to do with whether or not you can dual boot as "evidence". Please take the time to read those links and note that they DO NOT state that dual booting is allowed.

In general, when software is upgrade to a new version the original licences is invalidated. Despite his rants (and they will be long winding rants ) to the contrary. Donny has no evidence that Microsoft has changed this policy.

I run Ubuntu 15.10 on a Laptop that is a triple boot system for Windows 8.1, Windows 10.1 and Ubuntu 15.10. Using this Windows 7 VM, also allows me besides accessing the IP Cameras. To now have access to four different Operating Systems on the same system. For testing.

Win 8.1 300GB

Win 10 75GB

I installed each Operating System using a 8GB USB memory card after converting the ISO with "Rufus" for Ubuntu 15.10 and a Microsoft Utility called "Windows USB/DVD Download Tool" for converting the Microsoft ISO for the Windows 10 version.

My Bios allows me to choose which boot loader to use. Ubuntu or Windows. I chose Windows. Because I can use F12 during boot to select Ububtu to boot from at any time and when using the Windows boot-loader, there is an option to boot from Ubuntu. By selecting the choice to boot from another device. The Ubuntu boot-loader also has an option to go to the Bios F12 boot selector as well. So, I have many different options to get to any Operating System.

Don

Please be aware that despite what Donny says, using your free windows 10 upgrade to dual boot into windows 7/8 is not sanctioned by Microsoft and you may be committing software piracy.

Donny will post a bunch of random links that simply discuss the upgrade process, that have NOTHING to do with whether or not you can dual boot as "evidence". Please take the time to read those links and note that they DO NOT state that dual booting is allowed.

In general, when software is upgrade to a new version the original licences is invalidated. Despite his rants (and they will be long winding rants ) to the contrary. Donny has no evidence that Microsoft has changed this policy.

Boogieman, jayson, Sammy dah Boy, fenderman and Sparky.

You're following me from Forum to Forum, and posting the same false statements and false allegations, where I state this. You should take your "Feet" out of your mouth because you are totally incorrect in your false statements and false allegations. You should do more research. But I know that's above you!

You are SO ill-informed on this subject matter, that it's beyond comprehension on why you need to scream FUD about subject matter that you obviously don't understand and are not up to date on!

I have nothing more to comment here to any responses you make in this thread. Others here who use these instructions and the links provided by me that go to Microsoft.com. Will, once again prove that you are a "fool" when it comes to this subject matter.

I'm more than willing to respond to anyone but you in this thread. But not you. So, please get over that!

I stand by my statements and instructions here. That using the latest Windows 10 ISO provided by Microsoft and the tool that converts that ISO to a USB memory stick also provided by Microsoft. Works and is legal and allows one to continue to use Win7, Win8 and Win 8.1 while activating Windows 10 using a dual-boot by using the original key from those Windows Operating systems that are eligible for the FREE Windows 10 upgrade. Which is sanctioned and approved by Microsoft.

It works, it's legal and it's sanctioned by Microsoft. Get a secretary to do proper research for you. Because I tire of your false allegations and false statements.

One can even download the terms of using the Windows 10 ISO. It's legal and sanctioned from Microsoft.com:

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/techbench

Secondly. The tool used to convert the ISO to a USB memory stick. Once again, is provided by Microsoft:

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/windows-usb-dvd-download-tool

So. As stated earlier. You're false allegations and statements. Are you simply acting as the "Nut Job" you have been known to be!

I don't have the training to help people with reading comprehension issues and/or medical issues. I have tried to be helpful here with you. But your classless comments have made me decide. I'm wasting my time.

Because you are acting like such a fool. I leave you with one more link. Again from Microsoft.com about installing Windows 10 via a USB memory stick. Which references the EXACT tool I include in my posts and instructions here. Which is again. Provided by Microsoft. Please see what's stated under "Prepare Windows 10 ISO file". The same MICROSOFT.COM instructions, further down the page also reference the EXACT Microsoft.com web page my instructions and posts say to use to download the Windows 10 ISO. Under "Alternative methods if all the above fails":

I quote. From the Microsoft.com link below:

"WARNING: If you are still using Build 10240, do not use the Windows 10 ISO to format your PC. Upgrade first from an activated Windows 7, Windows 8, Windows 8.1, ensure the Windows 10 installation is activated, then you can perform a clean install. If you are using build 10586 or what is known as the November Update (1511), this rule does not apply, read below.

UPDATE: Previously, Windows 7, Windows 8.0 and Windows 8.1 users needed to have either of those versions of Windows installed and activated in order to qualify for the free upgrade offer. For persons who needed to perform a clean install of Windows 10 from the outset, it was a two step process of first validating the machine through the upgrade routine, ensure the Windows 10 Upgrade was activated, then proceed to perform a Reset. With the latest November Update (1511), users no longer have to go through this process."

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/wiki/windows_10-windows_install/how-to-download-official-windows-10-iso-files/35cde7ec-5b6f-481c-a02d-dadf465df326

The answer above, by Microsoft. Was updated due to the new Windows 10 ISO's, which I reference here.

More details:

The FAQ ("After confirming the Windows 10 ISO you want") from the above link:

http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/faq

Even the tool used to convert the Microsoft ISO provided by Microsoft to use in a USB Memory stick for Windows 10. Which I reference here. Is produced and provided by Microsoft. It's also suggested in the FAQ above under "I've download an ISO file, now what?":

Which is EXACTLY as my instructions and links in my posts state. To do.

Nothing nefarious was done. All accomplished, by using and following only explicit Microsoft instructions from Microsoft.com. Using a unmodified Microsoft ISO and their Tool. BOTH directly downloaded from Microsoft.com. No editing or changes of any kind, were done. No commands were used, of any kind. No deviations, of any kind for the Windows 10 Installation instructions provided by Microsoft, took place. As in EVER. The Windows 10 installation was activated automatically while maintaining the activation for Windows 8.1 ("As shown below"). As stated and confirmed above. All sanctioned by Microsoft using their latest Windows 10 ISO:

Click on image for larger view of same

284847_1.png

284847_2.png

284847_3.png

It should also be noted. That the tool which is from Microsoft and suggested at the link above by Microsoft to use for converting a Windows 10 ISO. Which I use in my posts here and instructions here as well. To create a USB memory stick from a Windows 10 ISO. Works with BOTH UEFI based computers using UEFI Disks as well as MBR based computers using MBR based disks AUTOMATICALLY!

So, Once again you have shown how foolish you are with your false allegations and false statements. Because of that. I will no longer be responding to you, in this thread. I will however, respond to others.

The more you post, people get to learn and see who you REALLY are and aren't. Which in the end. Is a good thing. For everybody.

Note: Your classless comments. Don't justify any individual response.

Truly I'm ashamed for you and how your carry yourself online, which I guess is why you have a need to use some many different aliases and never expose your real name. No joke! Fortunately, that's your problem not mine.

Hint: If you can't take the time to do research before making false allegations and false statements. Don't post comments about those false allegations. Because doing so, only continues to make you look foolish.

If you have a reading comprehension problem, that's nothing to be ashamed of. Simply have someone else read the above and they can take the time to explain it, as needed.

Don

Edited by Guest

Win 8.1 300GB

Win 10 75GB

Don

I have nothing more to comment here to any responses you make in this thread. Others here who use these instructions and the links provided by me that go to Microsoft.com. Will, once again prove that you are a "fool" when it comes to this subject matter.

I'm more than willing to respond to anyone but you in this thread. But not you. So, please get over that!

I stand by my statements and instructions here. That using the latest Windows 10 ISO provided by Microsoft and the tool that converts that ISO to a USB memory stick also provided by Microsoft. Works and is legal and allows one to continue to use Win7, Win8 and Win 8.1 while activating Windows 10 using a dual-boot by using the original key from those Windows Operating systems that are eligible for the FREE Windows 10 upgrade. Which is sanctioned and approved by Microsoft.

It works, it's legal and it's sanctioned by Microsoft. Get a secretary to do proper research for you. Because I tire of your false allegations.

One can even download the terms of using the Windows 10 ISO. It's legal and sanctioned from Microsoft.com:

Secondly. The tool used to convert the ISO to a USB memory stick. Once again, is provided by Microsoft:

So. As stated earlier. You're false allegations and statements. Are you simply acting as the "Nut Job" you have been known to be!

I don't have the training to help people with reading comprehension issues and/or medical issues. I have tried to be helpful here with you. But your classless comments have made me decide. I'm wasting my time.

Because you are acting like such a fool. I leave you with one more link. Again from Microsoft.com about installing Windows 10 via a USB memory stick. Which references the EXACT tool I include in my posts and instructions here. Which is again. Provided by Microsoft. Please see what's stated under "Prepare Windows 10 ISO file". The same MICROSOFT.COM instructions, further down the page also reference the EXACT Microsoft.com web page my instructions and posts say to use to download the Windows 10 ISO. Under "Alternative methods if all the above fails":

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/wiki/windows_10-windows_install/how-to-download-official-windows-10-iso-files/35cde7ec-5b6f-481c-a02d-dadf465df326

The answer above, by Microsoft. Was published in July of 2015.

Which is EXACTLY as my instructions and links in my posts state. To do.

Nothing nefarious was done. All accomplished, by using and following only explicit Microsoft instructions from Microsoft.com. Using a unmodified Microsoft ISO and their Tool. BOTH directly downloaded from Microsoft.com. No editing or changes of any kind, were done. No commands were used, of any kind. No deviations, of any kind for the Windows 10 Installation instructions provided by Microsoft, took place. As in EVER. The Windows 10 installation was activated automatically while maintaining the activation for Windows 8.1 ("As shown below"). As stated and confirmed above. All sanctioned by Microsoft using their latest Windows 10 ISO:

284847_1.png

284847_2.png

284847_3.png

It should also be noted. That the tool which is from Microsoft and suggested at the link above by Microsoft to use for converting a Windows 10 ISO. Which I use in my posts here and instructions here as well. To create a USB memory stick from a Windows 10 ISO. Works with BOTH UEFI based computers using UEFI Disks as well as MBR based computers using MBR based disks AUTOMATICALLY!

So, Once again you have shown how foolish you are with your false allegations and statements. Because of that. I will no longer be responding to you, in this thread. I will however, respond to others.

The more you post, people get to learn and see who you REALLY are and aren't. Which in the end. Is a good thing. For everybody.

Note: Your classless comments. Don't justify any individual response. My edits here were/are for the benefit of others. I could care less about your twisted assumptions of when the "Edit" post button should or should not be used or allowed. If you have issues with my edits. Please ask that the "Edit" post button be disabled. Otherwise, I will use it as needed and as allowed. When needed. Without your permission to do so. You continue to make a fool of yourself with your false statements and allegations and you never need my help to continue doing that. So, have fun.

Truly I'm ashamed for you and how your carry yourself online, which I guess is why you have a need to use some many different aliases and never expose your real name. No joke! Fortunately, that's your problem not mine.

Don

Name calling is not permitted on this forum please stop. You are the one calling me a fool and a nut job and then have the nerve to tell me that you are ashamed of me? Are you serious? Seems like you followed my prediction to a T. Not one of your irrelevant links supports your position that you can legally dual boot. Until you post a cite from Microsoft ANYTHING you link to or say (regardless of how long your manifesto reads) is irrelevant. There was no mention of edits here. Not sure what you are talking about - you ok?

Name calling is not permitted on this forum please stop. You are the one calling me a fool and a nut job and then have the nerve to tell me that you are ashamed of me? Are you serious? Seems like you followed my prediction to a T. Not one of your irrelevant links supports your position that you can legally dual boot. Until you post a cite from Microsoft ANYTHING you link to or say (regardless of how long your manifesto reads) is irrelevant. There was no mention of edits here. Not sure what you are talking about - you ok?

Booogiieee....

I am confused?

In your opinion what is He saying or doing wrong?

sound OK for me

Booogiieee....

I am confused?

sound OK for me

The issue is this. When you upgrade to 10 for free, you are no longer licensed to use the old OS. That is how it works with almost every other piece of software and microsoft in the past. You may not be allowed to dual boot 7/8 and 10 unless you purchase a second license. He has provided not evidence that Microsoft says its allowed.

Booogiieee....

I am confused?

sound OK for me

Thanks,

I can assure you at least for my specific Laptop which in a prior post here I define, in detail. It works. Maintaining the activation with Windows 8.1 while automatically activating Windows 10.

I have shown that in detail. Boogieman, jayson, Sammy dah Boy and Sparky is speculating and using conjecture based on prior installs of Windows 10 using older ISO releases. That's the issue. His false statements and allegations are based on using older Windows 10 ISO versions. Not the current ISO versions for Windows 10 now available directly from Microsoft. One can easily do a search about "Windows 10 ISO dual boot" using the search engine of your choice and if the information is/was posted recently. As in the last month. It's easy to see that Boogieman, jayson, Sammy dah Boy and Sparky is totally incorrect.

I avoided using links to those 3rd party websites. Because IMHO it's a waste of time. Boogieman, jayson, Sammy dah Boy and Sparky would simply try to destroy this thread for other reasons. So, why waste the time? Since I have proven that, beyond any doubt here:

viewtopic.php?p=284846#p284846

After all. I provided instructions from Microsoft and pictures of my Laptops results using those instructions. It did not satisfy Boogieman, jayson, Sammy dah Boy and Sparky. Because his intent is nothing less than to destroy any thread I create with silly banter. So, why feed that, lol.

So, I won't help Boogieman, jayson, Sammy dah Boy and Sparky by responding to his craziness.

As others use these instructions. My statements will be validated vs. Boogieman, jayson, Sammy dah Boy and Sparky trying to destroy virtually any thread I create. I am more than confident. This will be the case.

Don

Edited by Guest

Booogiieee....

I am confused?

sound OK for me

Thanks,

I can assure you at least for my specific Laptop which in a prior post here I define, in detail. It works. Maintaining the activation with Windows 8.1 while automatically activating Windows 10.

I have shown that in detail. boogieman is speculating and using conjecture based on prior installs of Windows 10 using older ISO releases. That's the issue. His false statements and allegations are based on using older Windows 10 ISO versions. Not the current ISO versions for Windows 10 now available directly from Microsoft. One can easily do a search about "Windows 10 ISO dual boot" using the search engine of your choice and if the information is/was posted recently. As in the last month. It's easy to see that boogieman is totally incorrect.

I avoided using links to those 3rd party websites. Because IMHO it's a waste of time. boogieman would simply try to destroy this thread for other reasons. So, why waste the time?

Don

Stop purposely misleading and lying. Of course you can search for dual boot and find how to do it. The issue is whether it is legal without a new license after receiving a free upgrade. How does the fact that you CAN dual boot support your contention. There are many online who say you need a new license. Without confirmation from Microsoft what you think is meaningless.

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/insider/forum/insider_wintp-insider_install/free-upgrade-from-windows-7-to-windows-10-dual/29b232b2-ac67-45d6-be88-ac14b0c7bf8e?auth=1

Again, this is not a microsoft sanctioned answer, however, the point is that randomly searching will year both results. It is important to point out that the answer comes from a community moderator and wiki author on the MS answer site. I will trust his judgement over a foscam moderator anytime.

STOP posting irrelevant links as if they support your contention when you know good and well they dont. You do that ALL the time, sometimes linking to your own posts, how weird is that?

You tried this same technique in the hikvision thread, we all know how you act. You wont believe how many pm's I get supporting my outing of your nonsense.

Uber will make some nonsense comment about the new ISO supporting dual boot, when in fact there is nothing different about the ISO with respect to dual boot. Furthermore, that has nothing to do with licensing.

Your referenced link was published on March 21, 2015. 11 months ago and has NEVER been updated since new Windows 10 ISO releases have been released:

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/insider/forum/insider_wintp-insider_install/free-upgrade-from-windows-7-to-windows-10-dual/29b232b2-ac67-45d6-be88-ac14b0c7bf8e?auth=1

That's how far behind the times you are. The Microsoft Windows 10 ISO's at the time did NOT support dual booting Windows 10 alongside Win7, Win8 and Win8.1 and auto activating the Windows 10 while still maintaining the activation for the other Operating Systems. Using a USB memory boot stick with the Windows installation taking place from it. Now they do, because the newest Microsoft Windows 10 ISO's now support that feature!

Compare your archaic and stale link to another Microsoft.com answer that HAS been updated here:

viewtopic.php?p=284846#p284846

What part of that, continues to confuse you?

GET IT SPARKY?

Don

Edited by Guest

Your referenced link was published on March 21, 2015. 11 months ago.

That's how far behind the times you are. The Microsoft Windows 10 ISO's at the time did NOT support dual booting Windows 10 alongside Win7, Win8 and Win8.1 and auto activating the Windows 10 while still maintaining the activation for the other Operating Systems. Now they do, because the newest Microsoft Windows 10 ISO's now support that feature!

GET IT SPARKY?

Don

Nonsense. The ISO always supported dual boot. The ISO has NOTHING TO DO with the dual boot sparky. Pray tell how the new ISO supports dual boot and the old one didnt. Furthermore even if the ISO had block letters that said it supports dual boot, that has no bearing on proper licensing.

You have NO clue. Nice try though. PLEASE SHOW ME HOW THE OLD ISO DID NOT SUPPORT DUAL BOOT AND THE NEW ONE DOES!!!!

That's how far behind the times you are. The Microsoft Windows 10 ISO's at the time did NOT support dual booting Windows 10 alongside Win7, Win8 and Win8.1 and auto activating the Windows 10 while still maintaining the activation for the other Operating Systems. Now they do, because the newest Microsoft Windows 10 ISO's now support that feature!

GET IT SPARKY?

Don

Nonsense. The ISO always supported dual boot. The ISO has NOTHING TO DO with the dual boot sparky. Pray tell how the new ISO supports dual boot and the old one didnt. Furthermore even if the ISO had block letters that said it supports dual boot, that has no bearing on proper licensing.

You have NO clue. Nice try though.

Not with auto-activation of Windows 10 using the key from Win7, Win8, Win8.1 using a USB memory boot stick with the Windows installation taking place from it, while maintaining the activation for the older Operating System. Liar-Liar pants on fire!

You're a hopeless case. I will wait for someone else to confirm what I say is true. Your only end-goal is to attempt to destroy any thread I create. You lost, as usual. Once again.

Don

GET IT SPARKY?

Don

You have NO clue. Nice try though.

Not with auto-activation of Windows 10 using the key from Win7, Win8, Win8.1 using a USB memory boot stick with the Windows installation taking place from it, while maintaining the activation for the older Operating System. Liar-Liar pants on fire!

You're a hopeless case. I will wait for someone else to confirm what I say is true. Your only end-goal is to attempt to destroy any thread I create. You lost, as usual. Once again.

Don

BUSTED you liar. As I stated, the ISO has nothing to do with dual boot. The reason why you can activate from the old license key is because MS is trying to avoid having users forced to first do an in place upgrade then a clean install. It has NOTHING to do with dual boot and the fact that you FALSELY claim is does is SHAMEFUL.

Even before the new ISO you could dual boot without the old license being deactivated. THAT DOES NOT MEAN ITS LEGAL!!!!!!

So the answer by the MS board mod is just as valid today as it was in june.

BUSTED and OUTED, my mission has been accomplished.

It's nice to know, in this ever changing world, some things never change.

Nothing nefarious or illegal is taking place. With the latest Windows 10 ISO's provided by Microsoft. Microsoft now allows ("With those latest Windows 10 ISO's") Windows owners of eligible copies that can upgrade to Windows 10 for free. The ability to leave the old Windows installation installed and install Windows 10 as a dual-boot while automatically activating the Windows 10 install and maintaining the old license for the other Windows Operating Systems.

I won't help Boogieman, jayson, Sammy dah Boy and Sparky destroy this thread. He can say anything as he always does. It's his personal speculation and conjecture. So I have no need to respond to his false statements and allegations.

Boogieman, jayson, Sammy dah Boy and Sparky,

Used an article that is 11 months old ("Trying to prove their point") while also twisting my words about dual-boot. My posts here are and have been very clear. I never said one "Could Never" dual-boot before. What I did say is that now with the latest Microsoft ISO's for Windows 10. That while one is installing a dual-boot of Windows 10. That the latest ISO's provide by Microsoft will automatically activate Windows 10. Legally. As well as sanctioned by Microsoft.

I have nothing more to say to Boogieman, jayson, Sammy dah Boy and Sparky, in this thread about his "Clean install" allegations and false statements, which makes absolutely no sense. Since Microsoft is looking at the other Operating Systems key during the install of the Windows 10 latest ISO and determining if that Operating System/Key qualifies for the Windows 10 Free and if it does installs the dual-boot, auto activates the Windows 10 install as well as modifies the Windows Boot loader to now allow you to boot from either Windows Operating systems.

Dual boots in past Windows 10 ISO releases, NEVER auto activated the Windows 10 install. These new steps, with the latest ISO versions for Windows 10. Automatically do the following now. During a dual boot install, via a USB memory stick:

1. Determine if a eligible Windows Operating System is present on the system in question?

2. If it is, then automatically activate the Windows 10. While maintaining the activation of the other Operating System.

Again, if one does a search. One can easily see that Microsoft has changed their policy with the latest ISO's for Windows 10. To allow dual-booting it. But....you can't use articles that were written 11 months ago and need to find articles written in the last two months to see those articles state this new Microsoft policy.

Explained: viewtopic.php?p=284846#p284846

I'm not the article police. People who posted how installing Window 10 using the older Windows 10 ISO's back then, 11 months ago. Were correct on what they said. However, things have changed in how the new Windows 10 ISO's work. An what they legally allow NOW. Which was not the same, as before.

I quote. From the Microsoft.com link below:

"WARNING: If you are still using Build 10240, do not use the Windows 10 ISO to format your PC. Upgrade first from an activated Windows 7, Windows 8, Windows 8.1, ensure the Windows 10 installation is activated, then you can perform a clean install. If you are using build 10586 or what is known as the November Update (1511), this rule does not apply, read below.

UPDATE: Previously, Windows 7, Windows 8.0 and Windows 8.1 users needed to have either of those versions of Windows installed and activated in order to qualify for the free upgrade offer. For persons who needed to perform a clean install of Windows 10 from the outset, it was a two step process of first validating the machine through the upgrade routine, ensure the Windows 10 Upgrade was activated, then proceed to perform a Reset. With the latest November Update (1511), users no longer have to go through this process."

The answer above, by Microsoft. Was updated due to the new Windows 10 ISO's, which I reference here.

More details:

The FAQ ("After confirming the Windows 10 ISO you want") from the above link:

http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/faq

Even the tool used to convert the Microsoft ISO provided by Microsoft to use in a USB Memory stick for Windows 10. Which I reference here. Is produced and provided by Microsoft. It's also suggested in the FAQ above under "I've download an ISO file, now what?":

284847_1.png

284847_2.png

As you can see by the above images. The Windows 8.1 Dell OEM product key is different than the automatically assigned Windows 10 product key during the install of the latest Windows 10 ISO downloaded from Microsoft.com from a USB memory stick which was created by the ISO to USB tool downloaded from and provided by Microsoft.com.

Activation in Windows 10 ("With updated notes for latest ISO's provided by Microsoft.com")

I quote from the link below: "Digital entitlement is a new method of activation in Windows 10 that doesn't require you to enter a product key"

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-10/activation-in-windows-10

Windows 10 Eula

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/Useterms/Retail/Windows/10/UseTerms_Retail_Windows_10_English.htm

The EXACT words you see above. When using the Microsoft Windows 10 FREE upgrade. After installing Windows 10. From Windows 10. Can be found here:

All Settings -> System -> About ("Read the Microsoft Software License Terms")

284955_2.png

284955_1.png

284847_3.png

Nothing minus using Microsoft's own latest released ISO for Windows 10, was done to install Windows 10 along side of Windows 8.1 as a dual boot and it was activated automatically by Microsoft afterwards. So, it works and is legal. You need to get certified as a "Para Legal". Because your claim to be licensed to "Practice Law" at this stage. Is laughable, at best.

Note: If nobody wants to do this because they believe Boogieman, jayson, Sammy dah Boy and Sparky's ridiculous nonsense. That's fine with me, since the topic of this thread is "How To Access Your IP Cameras From Linux or a Mac" and I only mentioned what system I used to install Linux and how I went about it.

If I wanted to create a topic about "How to Install Windows 10 and Dual Boot with Auto Activation, Legally" I would have. With all the details and steps, on how to go about it. I simply mentioned what system I used to install Linux and how I went about it. In a general way, using Microsoft methods. Which are legal and sanctioned by Microsoft.

Don

Edited by Guest

It's nice to know, in this ever changing world, some things never change.

Nothing nefarious or illegal is taking place. With the latest ISO's provided by Microsoft. Microsoft now allows ("With those latest ISO's") Windows owners of eligible copies that can upgrade to Windows 10 for free. The ability to leave the old Windows installation installed and install Windows 10 as a dual-boot while automatically activating the Windows 10 install and maintaining the old license for the other Windows Operating Systems.

boogieman, jayson, fenderman,

Used an article that is 11 months old ("Trying to prove their point") while also twisting my words about dual-boot. My post are very clear here. I never said one "Could Never" dual-boot before. What I did say is that now with the latest Microsoft ISO's for Windows 10. That while one is installing a dual-boot of Windows 10. That the latest ISO's provide by Microsoft will automatically active Windows 10. Legally. As well as sanctioned by Microsoft.

I have nothing more to say to boogieman, in this thread about his "Clean install" which makes absolutely no sense. Since Microsoft is looking at the other Operating Systems key during the install of the Windows 10 latest ISO:

1. To determine if a eligible Windows Operating System is present on the system in question?

2. If it is, then automatically activate the Windows 10. While maintaining the activation of the other Operating System.

Again, if one does a search. One can easily see that Microsoft has changed their policy with the latest ISO's for Windows 10. To allow dual-booting it. But....you can't use articles that were written 11 months ago and need to find articles written in the last two months to see those articles state these new Microsoft policy.

Don

Don

There has been no significant change to the licencing or the iso in the past year. The fact that you can install 10 using a 7 code does not support your contention. The fact that you use that as "evidence" is mind boggling to me. You try whatever tactic you can to "prove" your point. However, claiming that you can dual boot because MS allows you to use the 7 key to install 10 in silly.

The fact that your 7 license has not been invalidated yet, is not evidenciary as 7 licenses were not invalidated (after upgrade) when back when that article was published. Kapish donny?

You misrepresenting the facts when you say Microsoft has changed their policy about dual boot. They did no such thing. I have been begging you to provide ANY written proof but you have not.

I have verified that one can in fact simply re-load the initial snapshot taken prior to actually starting the Windows 7 VM to reset the number of days to another 90. Microsoft allows this. The VM of Windows 7 specifically states ("Desktop Background of Microsoft instructions during Windows 7 VM use") that this is an approved method by them, to re-extend the Windows 7 VM. More details:

viewtopic.php?p=284794#p284794

Click on image to see larger image of same

285048_2.png

Don

I have verified that one can in fact simply re-load the initial snapshot taken prior to actually starting the Windows 7 VM to reset the number of days to another 90. Microsoft allows this. The VM of Windows 7 specifically states ("Desktop Background of Microsoft instructions during Windows 7 VM use") that this is an approved method by them, to re-extend the Windows 7 VM. More details:

285048_2.png

Don

What does that have to do with licencing of dual boot?

285048_2.png

Don

There has been no significant change to the licencing or the iso in the past year.

Please see this. Which does deal with YOU and the subject matter YOU ask about:

viewtopic.php?p=284955#p284955

While my legal staff, is amused by your naiveté. In the end. It's my choice on how to proceed. With you and your minions.

Note: Your classless comments. Don't justify any more individual response. My edits here were/are for the benefit of others. I could care less about your twisted assumptions of when the "Edit" post button should or should not be used or allowed. If you have issues with my edits. Please ask that the "Edit" post button be disabled. Otherwise, I will use it as needed and as allowed. When needed. Without your permission to do so.

Don

285048_2.png

Don

There has been no significant change to the licencing or the iso in the past year.

Please see this. Which does deal with YOU and the subject matter YOU ask about:

While my legal staff, is amused by your naiveté. In the end. It's my choice on how to proceed. With you and your minions.

Note: Your classless comments. Don't justify any more individual response. My edits here were/are for the benefit of others. I could care less about your twisted assumptions of when the "Edit" post button should or should not be used or allowed. If you have issues with my edits. Please ask that the "Edit" post button be disabled. Otherwise, I will use it as needed and as allowed. When needed. Without your permission to do so.

Don

Donny stop threatening me with lawsuits. Your "legal staff" who are you kidding. You sound like a fool.

Anyone reading this as well as the forum owners need to ask yourselves if you want to get involved with someone so litigious who threatens other forum members with lawsuits. YUK.

File your suit. I will pop you like the zit you are. I will choose how to proceed. You see, unlike others, I will not bow to your intimidation. Try me, I DARE you.

Boogieman, jayson, fenderman, Sammy dah Boy and Sparky. You're wasting precious time. You should be working on resolving one of your other ("Many") lies. LOL:

viewtopic.php?p=280528#p280528

For others. Who want the truth about this subject matter ("Not to be confused with") Boogieman, jayson, fenderman, Sammy dah Boy and Sparky's ridiculous nonsense.

Please see this:

Don

Boogieman, jayson, fenderman, Sammy dah Boy and Sparky. You're wasting precious time. You should be working on resolving one of your other ("Many") lies. LOL:

For others. Who want the truth about this subject matter ("Not to be confused with") Boogieman, jayson, fenderman, Sammy dah Boy and Sparky's ridiculous nonsense.

Please see this:

Don

Everything I have stated is truth. You cannot cite to your own posts to validate your claims. Keep trying though. I find it fascinating that you purposely resurrect old threads after they have been dormant, in this case for two weeks. You seem to be infatuated with me. Weirdo.

Please see this:

Don

Everything I have stated is truth. You cannot cite to your own posts to validate your claims. Keep trying though. I find it fascinating that you purposely resurrect old threads after they have been dormant, in this case for two weeks. You seem to be infatuated with me. Weirdo.

Some medical conditions can cause people to see, hear and say things. If this is not your case? Then....

You've got some work to do there Sparky! See/Read the links above.

Get busy.

I won't waste my time or yours. By slowing you down by responding to anymore of your babbling here!

Don

Edited by Guest

Please see this:

Don

You've got some work to do there Sparky! See/Read the links above.

Get busy.

I won't waste my time or yours. By slowing you down by responding to anymore of your babbling here!

Don

Please dont spend your time here. You should be assisting with this

http://krebsonsecurity.com/2016/02/this-is-why-people-fear-the-internet-of-things/

http://foscam.us/forum/foscam-dialing-out-to-suspect-hosts-t17699.html

I wish I could believe you on not further responding to me, however, in the past you have not kept your word in that regard.

Just a linux solution; sorry no mac here...

Firefox in Wine works for me on my Mint 17.3 (Mate) field machine.

Use Play-on-Linux to setup a separate environment and install the camera specific web components in the Wine prefix setup for this application.

Depending on the graphics chip set, you may have to deal with some repaint issues.

BTW, the IE9-W7 thing does work great and converts directly to VMWare if your so inclined.