SeattleBrian

Small construction site surveillance – architecture guidance

Background

My friend is a general contractor (GC) doing residential remodeling projects. He just had his job site robbed, and lost $15,000 of tools. I have some computer expertise. He asked me to create a video surveillance system. Since I recently became unemployed, I have time to help him. But I’m new to video systems, and consider myself a newbie. I’d like help in defining the system architecture.

The system must be rugged, to survive on a small construction site. When the construction project is complete, the video system will be broken down and moved to the next construction site.

Requirements:

1) Discrete. So thieves don’t cut cables to defeat the system.

2) Robust. The NVR and UPS will be in a locked metal box. If power is cut, the UPS will keep the system running for two days (eg: over the entire weekend)

3) Minimal cables. Wires on a job site create headaches for the construction workers and subcontractors.

4) Simple remote access from a smart phone. To view video if motion detect trips when the site is supposed to be vacant.

5) Cameras: Wifi and POE varieties, to minimize cabling.

6) Wired access to the Internet is on-site. Assumption: homeowners will already have an ISP (eg: Comcast)

7) If someone enters the job site after hours, a text and/or email will be sent to the GC and myself. Two way audio and remote video access will a) let us tell the thief to leave, and b) provide details for our 911 phone call.

Architecture

Cat5 internet --> NVR --> POE switch --> Wifi AP --> Wifi camera

And: POE switch --> POE camera

1) NVR: Dahua NVR4216, host port connected to homeowner’s network, for internet access.

2) Camera: Dahua IPC-HFW4300S 3MP Eco-Savvy

3) Camera: Reolink RLC-410WS 4MP wireless

4) POE Switch: 8 port POE. Uplink port connected to a camera port on the NVR4216. Downlink ports connected to POE cameras.

Note: I didn’t buy the NVR4216-8P which has POE, based on guidance on this forum. (the 8P model is more expensive, simply adding a POE switch is cheaper. And the POE switch allows reaching the cameras remotely, avoiding going through the NVR)

5) WiFi AP or WIFI Router. To support the WiFi cameras

Questions

1) I’d like help with item 4 and 5. What should I look for? Specs? Model number recommendations?

2) I plan to connect the WiFi AP into the POE switch (not to a camera port on the NVR). Is this wise?

Note: The WiFi AP, with “powered device” POE ability on the uplink port, eliminates the power cable and the need for an AC outlet near the WiFi AP.

3) Is a WiFi Access Point desirable? Or do I need Router capability?

Thanks in advance for your help!

Brian

cid_ii_152c81464b7f4845.thumb.jpg.a9ca71363c0fbc60fe2c90b8bb55aa9f.jpg

Other options that I have used on construction sites.

1. Videofied.

2. Mobotix Cameras with two way communication. Low powered no need for NVR since the camera stores video on the edge and the software is free.

eeproject1,

Thanks for the suggestions. Very intriguing.

Especially the VideoFied "Video monitoring service" as versus the traditional "Alarm Monitoring Service".

In Seattle, due to numerous false alarms, the police don't respond , unless the homeowners are present. For a construction site (uninhabited at night), that's a non-starter.

Hence, I was planning to self-monitor. Push SMS, MMS or emails with video clips out to the Gen'l Contractor and his crew. They'd remote-view the site. Two way audio for things like "You're being filmed, the police are on their way". Videofied takes it to the next level....

Thanks again,

Brian

Police will be dispatched with Videofied as it is not your typical alarm system. Centeral station gets a video clip on the alarm event so they don't dispatch unless it is a true alarm.

Video verification is very popular in the construction site monitoring.

Edited by Guest

SeattleBrian,

If no personnel should be on site and you see someone, then its a verified alarm. Like thewireguys said, the police will respond. You can't do two way audio with videofied, but you can trigger a recording once motion is detected. There is a way to self monitor a videofied system, but you still need a dealer. If you need more info send me a private message.

I do not have experience with Dahua, but your setup for self monitoring should work. You need to make sure the camera or DVR have at least trip wire settings. If you set the alarm to just motion detection you will get a lot of false alarms. Another option will be hardware with analytics. There are a few out there.

You've got enough to think about already so I'll just say this since no one else addressed it. You mentioned that the recording device and UPS would be a in locked metal box. Make sure that thing intended for the job, otherwise you seriously risk overheating that equipment by constantly recycling that hot air inside the box. As a computer person, I think you've probably already considered this, but otherwise it'd be like making sure all the openings on your computer intended for air to exit have been sealed up.

Sam228,

Thanks for the comment. I agree.

The box will contain NVR, 8 port POE switch, UPS (thieves could spot the AC cord, this is a job site), and 12V power supply for for alarms, laser trip lines, etc).

I haven't started to shop for that yet....

The WiFi AP will be situated somewhere else, location tbd, determined by WiFi coverage.

Thanks for the input!

Brian

Sam228,

Thanks for the comment. I agree.

The box will contain NVR, 8 port POE switch, UPS (thieves could spot the AC cord, this is a job site), and 12V power supply for for alarms, laser trip lines, etc).

I haven't started to shop for that yet....

The WiFi AP will be situated somewhere else, location tbd, determined by WiFi coverage.

Thanks for the input!

Brian

Thinking on it a little more, I wouldn't even know what direction to point you in. If there's $15k in tools lying around that they can steal, surely one of those tools will help them get into any box you end up with. Cutting the power cable might be the least of your worries if they can pick the box up and walk away with it, or if they can use items found around the job site to just break into it. This is generally why I advocate hiding the recording device instead of trying to build a mote around it, but my own experience has shown me that the setting and situation ultimately decides for you in most cases.

Sam228,

Yes, it's not straightforward.

The tools were locked inside a medium sized truck. A sledgehammer was used to smash open the lock. Hand tools may have been laying around, but not the power tools or big ticket items (like the jackhammer).

The NVR, router, UPS, and interconnects will be locked inside a box, that is bolted down or chained down. eg:

http://www.toolfetch.com/jobox-651990-heavy-duty-chest-15-1-2-quot-x-31-quot-x-18-quot-4-cubic-feet.html?utm_source=google&utm_medium=cse&utm_term=651990&gclid=Cj0KEQiA3t-2BRCKivi-suDY24gBEiQAX1wiXCXKL7UjqqJMTPwJ1uiQGt_6ysgmzm6-I5o884hUdi0aAsJz8P8HAQ

It does scream "valuable tools inside" unfortunately.

I may opt for something more stealthy, which doesn't attract attention, and is still sturdy. As you said, hide the recording device. I'm considering a decoy recording device, sacrificial DVR, so to speak.

When the laser trip line detects someone, or the motion sensing camera (with a line, not PIR), lights, sirens and pre-recorded audio will play.

The job sites are residential remodel projects. The house is usually vacant, but neighbors are nearby. So deterrence is the objective. They won't stay long to break into trucks and Joboxes...

The SMS text to the GC and crew will include some video. The GC and crew can surf into the job site, and with two way audio, tell the thieves the police are on the way.

Brian

Sam228,

Yes, it's not straightforward.

The tools were locked inside a medium sized truck. A sledgehammer was used to smash open the lock. Hand tools may have been laying around, but not the power tools or big ticket items (like the jackhammer).

The NVR, router, UPS, and interconnects will be locked inside a box, that is bolted down or chained down. eg:

http://www.toolfetch.com/jobox-651990-heavy-duty-chest-15-1-2-quot-x-31-quot-x-18-quot-4-cubic-feet.html?utm_source=google&utm_medium=cse&utm_term=651990&gclid=Cj0KEQiA3t-2BRCKivi-suDY24gBEiQAX1wiXCXKL7UjqqJMTPwJ1uiQGt_6ysgmzm6-I5o884hUdi0aAsJz8P8HAQ

It does scream "valuable tools inside" unfortunately.

I may opt for something more stealthy, which doesn't attract attention, and is still sturdy. As you said, hide the recording device. I'm considering a decoy recording device, sacrificial DVR, so to speak.

When the laser trip line detects someone, or the motion sensing camera (with a line, not PIR), lights, sirens and pre-recorded audio will play.

The job sites are residential remodel projects. The house is usually vacant, but neighbors are nearby. So deterrence is the objective. They won't stay long to break into trucks and Joboxes...

The SMS text to the GC and crew will include some video. The GC and crew can surf into the job site, and with two way audio, tell the thieves the police are on the way.

Brian

Regardless of your decision, I think you have the right idea either way. It's really a matter of opinion and preference whether to hide or armor. The decoy route is an idea I like and not one that many people use. I particularly like it for this application. On that note, your sacrificial DVR (if you go this route) may be able to be very cheaply purchased from any number eCommerce companies you can find with old or completely bricked DVRs that I bet they'd love to offload for whatever they can get.

Sam228,

The other purpose of the decoy DVR would to provide decoy camera cables.

My cameras will be visible. They are a deterrent. A fearless and/or stupid thief may enter the job site, and look to disable the camera system by cutting camera cables.

I can readily get semi-dead analog DVRs and old Siamese cables. Meanwhile, my IP NVR will be elsewhere. And its black Cat6 cabling will look different, and hopefully discreet enough to avoid getting cut. I may use decoy analog cameras. (I can get dead ones easily enough).

A lot to consider... But wait, there's more!

This is a job site. Re-configuring as the job progresses is necessary. As walls are put up, and plumbing, wiring, insulation and sheetrock are installed, cameras and cables will need to be relocated. Cables on a job site are a headache and safety concern.

The GC has understandable objectives. But difficult to meet. Capable wire free cameras (ruling out battery operated cameras), visible (for deterrence), not easily defeated (by cutting job site power or cutting wires), secure (from theft), no false alarms, easy to remote view from phone or home PC, and easy to reconfigure or pack up and move to the next job site.

I'm enjoying the challenge.....

Brian

You might want to revisit the K.I.S.S. principle.

Complicated setup means the level of technical skill to troubleshoot or reinstall it at the next site will be hard.

Sometimes the simplest system works best.

Daryl733,

KISS - yes, I agree. I don't have the basic system completely operational yet. Let alone adding a 2nd decoy system. The Gen'l Contractor hasn't weighed in. If a decoy system negatively impacts his job site, or the breakdown/setup of moving the system from job site to job site, then we may not implement a decoy NVR.

Decoy cameras that simply blink an LED when motion is detected may be the only decoy we use. Battery operated, lasts months, looks realistic if mounted up high... I have one coming, to evaluate.

Nobody mentioned cloud saving the video recording, safest place. Thieves will be very surprised when they see their face in the Wanted list, mean time they think they removed the evidence.

Nobody mentioned cloud saving the video recording, safest place. Thieves will be very surprised when they see their face in the Wanted list, mean time they think they removed the evidence.

Cloud saving is as stable and reliable as your internet connection + the cloud service provider.

For HD multiple cameras streaming, you'll require a sufficient bandwidth, normally at around 3Mbps per camera.

I'm not sure about the connection speed/type available in your country and what construction site are using. Most of the time such system (e.g. 4 cameras of 3Mbps each require a constant upload bandwidth of around 12Mbps) require a bandwidth which only a fibre connection here can provide (we have 10Mbps to 10Gps fibre connection here). ADSL can't provide that kinda speed unless you do multiwan (Fastest Upload Speed our ADSL can do here is ard 1Mbps).

Anytime you got a slow bandwidth, you'll start missing recording. Then you'll have to explore equipment with Edge Recording features. But you'll still need more bandwidth than what the cameras are using so that missing recording during period slow connection speed or disconnection can be upload on top of the current recording when the sufficient bandwidth/network connection resumed.

Cheaper and easier solution is to just use normal local recording system, and if you are afraid of the recorder being destroyed, do a concurrent recording using the CMS provided by the equipment as well over the internet. Most equipment support that. Any incident you'll have a high quality footage onsite. If the equipment is destroy, you'll have a offsite copy of the recording if the internet connection is functioning properly at that time.

@ssmith10pn,

Thanks for the suggestion.

Budget might be a problem. But I think the solution you suggested is for bigger job sites. This GC does residential remodeling. There's barely enough room for his truck(s) and tool trailer.

Residential lots in the city in Seattle are often in the 50' x 100' range, and that is consumed by the house, possibly a garage, fenced yard, front lawn, etc. That leaves very little extra room.

The big floodlights on that tall boom might not make the neighbors happy.

Sorry to sound all negative - I appreciate you offering a suggestion!

There are no flood lights. Those are solar panels to charge the batteries. These units are totally self contained. Even has built in 4gLTE Cellular.

My state deploys them at rest areas, and just along side of the interstate to observe traffic.

The trailer is about 4' x 7'