pcmate

Type of Camera To Capture Faces at Main Door???

I have been installing cctv for about a year but I'm facing a problem when my customers request to place the camera facing the main door/entrance of their shop/office. They would like to capture the face of the person who enter their shop.

I have been trying using CCD camera with vary focal auto iris lenses but what I get is a very dark faces. Do you have any solution or any suggestion on what type of camera should I use?

For applications like that (if you want 100% facial recognition) you need a high-end professional body camera with Wide Dynamic Range. Check out the Panasonic SDIII. The reason for the dark faces is either the BLC (back light compensation) is weak or non existent. The Iris will close up due to the bright light around the person entering, making everything else dark. WDR will pretty much even out all lighting making both the outside, person, and inside very even in regards to light levels.

What Make/Model camera have you tried in the past. Post the specs and we will tell you why you are getting these results. Also what brand lens were you using?

WDR101

Conventional camera (with BLC off)

When the background is brighter than foreground and the BLC function of the camera is OFF, the main object will be less-exposed and unable to be recognized.

underexpose.gif

Conventional camera (with BLC on)

When the background is brighter than foreground and the BLC function of the camera is ON, the background will be over-exposed and unable to be recognized.

expose.gif

Wide Dynamic Camera (with WDR on)

The Wide Dynamic camera has the Sony double speed CCD and the Wide Dynamic technology, both the foreground and background can be viewed clearly.

normal.gif

Great examples, did you get them from the Panasonic site? If so do you have a link, could really use this to show a customer why he should spend the extra money on WDR.

Auto Iris is not the fix, you need a camera with Back Lighting settings, such as most decent Box cameras. This allows you to see the faces, though you loose everything else, like the background and edges will be dark. Also need to zoom in the lens right on the entrance for it to work properly. You will need to use a box camera for this generally.

A newer method is using Wide Dynamic cameras, these allow you to see faces as well as everything else .. they cost much mroe though, generally double the price, but they do the job well. However not all are great, most dont perform in low lighting very well, some do. Panasonic has had a Day Night version for a few years now, Ganz also has a regular color version, Ive used the GE Ultraview version but it was a poor performer in low light and had other issues. Most name brands sell them now such as Bosch, JVC, etc. and alot of them use the same technology.

BLC on anything other than a WDR is a joke to me. I cant speak for all cameras but I know the Pano's 484 works for just about any area of high contrast. And the pano's 484 are excellent for night time image. Like rory was saying if you go cheap on the wdr your problem going to get a bad night time image. We recently put in a some 484's facing straight at a front door that was glass and no tint on the window at all. The sun was coming through the door so much it heated the tile on the floor. So in other words it was bright. And the front little room when you walked in the building was pretty dim. And the camera was able to get excellent face shotws inside the door and outside. I was amazed. Then we replaced it with a another mid grade regular 540 high res camera (name witheld) and it was bleached! The only time you could maybe make out someone was when they walked as close to the camera as they could before going up under it (farthest away from the door). So in other words it was a waiste of a shot. Then put the pano back up and 100% usuable. I would highly recommend paying the extra money for it.

And by the way I got those pictures from the panansonic spec assist cd that they will provide if you request it. Ya that cd is awsome. It has all kinds of stuff that makes it alot easier to sell their stuff. It more specifically under the digital products training on the cd. I also like they have all the bid specs on all their equipment so you can just quickly attach the specs for you proposals. That cd is what every manufacturer should do. I know it helps me sell their stuff alot more.

a picture is worth a thousand words

Hi everyone.. Thanks Rory, Jisaac, Kandcorp...The info is very much appreciated. And I know what to tell my customer. If want the best result pay more to get special camera for this job..

Thanks

In the test bench I posted a video of these employees that are wrestling a thief. that was a everfocus camera. Well yesterday I replaced it with a panosonic 484 and pointed it right at the door. When I go back on monday I will get a snapshot of that. It is absolutle amazing how it can get clear pictures of the other side of the door as well as the inside.

And dont forget about shuter speed. When peapole moves, better use shuter speed about 1/100 1/250. You can use flickerless mode on camera, manual shuter.

High end Bosh camers have function "Default shutter" It means, camera hold defined shutter speed as long, as it possible. First use AGC, then- slower shutter speed. Nice function.

alright i got some real world images.

first is a everfocus camera.

the rest are pana 484

Just like VST says "you get what you pay for"

everfocus.jpg

panasonicfacial.jpg

pansonic-facial-door-4.jpg

panasonicvsever.jpg

panasonic-facial-door-3.jpg

[/img]

panasonicvsever.jpg.5b9c541fc8d5437002540c2d9fbc1002.jpg

everfocus.jpg.04353d232510ed63bdc33dbfb723bdd9.jpg

yeah that Pano a nice camera .. the neverfocus reminds me of the provideo so called high res indoor domes .. they must use the same OEM .. )

which everfocus model is it BTW ..?

.. the neverfocus reminds me of .........

neverfocus.............I like that. Thats hilarious. I am not sure what everfocus camera model that was it might have been a POS-24/7

just kidding. they were not domes they were box cameras. But i just took it down and tossed it aside. did not look at the model number. When I go back I will look at the rest of them and see what kind they were.

now I have to give a plug....Northern Video is the place to get these cameras. Good prices Good service. If you need them they are the place to get them..And just about anything else.