Sign in to follow this  
traderjay

PTZ camera in front garage - detterent or attention seeker?

I am in the process of planning my camera install and I have two Avigilon 2.0 MP PTZ domes. I was surprised by the size of these cameras and although they are big, the design is very elegant and won't look like an eye sore when installed in the front garage. My house faces a cul de sac so a front facing camera will capture a large area making it ideal for PTZ deployment. The front door will be watched by a 5MP Avigilon HD bullet. The second PTZ camera will be installed high up on the back of the house watching over the backyard.

Now my concern is will the PTZ camera attract unwanted attention or act as a good deterrent against would-be crooks?

Lastly, I've talked to my neighbors and they are extremely appreciative that I am getting the cameras installed.

For every five thieves that are deterred there's always one that isn't. In fact more and more it seems like cameras aren't really a deterrent at all. Most crooks know to cover up and hide their faces. And we who rely on cameras understand it's a crap shoot whether we get that single perfect frame for ID, given all the lighting and environmental challenges with outdoor cameras. But, if you do nothing you have no chance so install your ptz's. It can't hurt and may help you deter a lot of things you may never even realize. The only thing you have to lose is some free time maintaining them. Some look at that as being fun, some find it annoying. I have a love hate relationship with it all, lol. I prefer my systems just work without issue and I get annoyed when there are glitches. But once you have sight you can't go back. I feel blind if a camera is out and very much prefer them.