Sign in to follow this  
SITADS

Small business set up - self installation

Hello!

I am the owner of a small business and we have not had very good luck with surveillance systems. We currently have a ubiquit set up that is pretty unreliable. I am tired of sinking time and money into it. I want to redo it for more specific tasks, not relating as much to surveillance.

I would like to find a kit that we can set up on our own that will help us observe, track and set motion alarms after hours.

Probably need 8 cameras with capacity for 4 more. Ideally we can monitor warehouse functions from our office.

I have found a few systems but not much information on them.

http://www.amazon.com/SDH-C75080-Samsung-Channel-Security-Cameras/dp/B0163H7KYM/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1455888366&sr=8-1&keywords=samsung+surveillance

Looking for recommendations... considerations and the likes...

I really, REALLY want us to do this inhouse at this point. Tired of waiting on calls back, emails back or quotes....

Thank you!

Oh yea, budget is around $2,000 but I wouldn't mind spending LESS... already sunk 5000 into the ubiquiti set up

That's an analog system. I'd invest my time and money into building an IP system.

Do you currently have a newish PC that you could use as an NVR? All you'd have to do is add a hard drive and a network card. Then you just buy a POE switch and the cameras you want.

I too am a small business owner and have never been happy with the systems I had installed in the past. When you build the system yourself, you can handle any problem or make any adjustments to it. There is a learning curve, but once you get it, its very rewarding.

The Ubiquiti is an IP poe system. I am using their NVR.

What recommendations would you have for PC specs, software, camera manufacturers, poe, etc?

Thanks

It all depends on what you are trying to observe or capture. Those Samsung cameras might be ok for general surveillance but not for forensic detail. Making out a person you don’t know day or night at 25’ might not be possible. I purchased a similar system from online ALIBI Security company but was able to swap out a couple cameras for specific ones for my application. I needed more IR range than the fixed bullet camera. HD analog system like the Samsung would be a lower cost option and most will support up to 1080P. IP system would support higher megapixel but also comes with Higher cost.

Hmmm... well perhaps I can use the Ubiquiti to capture specific surveillance areas... I suppose I am trying to keep an eye, real time on the warehouse. The NVR from ubiquiti is terribly slow and can only observe a few cameras at once.

Any recommendations?