raulangel

VIDEO LOSS DUE TO INTERNET CONNECTION

HI THERE...

JUST WANT TO ASK IF THERES ANY SOLUTION TO STOP/BLOCK OUR CCTV INTERNET ROUTER IP ADDRESS KEEPS CHANGING.BECAUSE OF THESE IPS CHANGES IT MAKES OUR IP CAMERAS VIDEO LOSS ON BLACK SCREEN.

CAN YOU PLESE RECOMMEND ME A GOOD & POWERFUL ROUTERBOARD TO SUPPORT OUR IP CAMERAS FROM THE INTERNET IN GOOD CONNECTION WITHOUT VIDEO LOSS ON WALL MONITORS.AND TELL ME WHAT BRAND AND MODEL..ANT ITS PRICE AS WELL

OR IS THERES ANY SOLUTION I CAN AVOID THIS VIDEO LOSS ASIDE FROM BUYING NEW ROUTERBOARD

MANY THANKS

Raulangel,

Welcome to the forum!

If I understand correctly, the IP address of your router changes periodically. So using a browser over the internet sometime can't reach the router for your CCTV cameras, because the IP address has changed.

If so, I think you have two options. You can use P2P to make the connection, if your CCTV equipment supports it.

The more common, but a bit trickier, is to use DDNS. DDNS will keep your IP address from changing. You may have port forwarding already set up. (my assumption, since you can surf in to the system, presumably with security)

Take a look at this posting, where Dynamic Domain Name Service (DDNS) is discussed.

viewtopic.php?f=54&t=49881&p=284781&hilit=DDNS+set+up#p284781

Brian

Daryl733,

P2P is easy (good), but some folks recommend not using P2P (bad).

P2P requires using a P2P server, which is handled in the background (ie: doesn't require anything from me). The P2P server is an intermediary between the NVR and the remote viewer (say with a web browser or app on a cell phone). Hence the video lags behind true "real tim Live viewing". A while after the P2P link is established, the P2P server drops out of the picture. The link then doesn't have an intermediary, and is direct. At this point, it's as fast as a connection using port forwarding (using DDNS for a stable IP address over time).

At least, that's my understanding. Correct me if this is wrong.

The initial connection, with a image lag, is the only drawback I know of to using P2P. After the P2P server drops out of the picture, P2P is just as fast as other connection methods.

Daryl733, could you explain why you recommend P2P only as a last resort? Am I overlooking something?

Thanks,

Brian

Daryl733,

P2P requires using a P2P server, which is handled in the background (ie: doesn't require anything from me). The P2P server is an intermediary between the NVR and the remote viewer (say with a web browser or app on a cell phone). Hence the video lags behind true "real tim Live viewing". A while after the P2P link is established, the P2P server drops out of the picture. The link then doesn't have an intermediary, and is direct. At this point, it's as fast as a connection using port forwarding (using DDNS for a stable IP address over time).

It depends on how each manufacturer implement their P2P. Some does it the way you say, and some never hand over the link and maintain it's intermediary role throughout the whole connection. AVTECH wanted to (not too sure if they actually implemented it as I didn't really use their P2P setup) charge users using P2P according to the amount of Data they use while viewing the cameras using their EaZy Networking. If they did that, it would means they maintain the connection in order to log down the amount of data used.

Using P2P requires the manufacturer to provide the servers. Unless you are using big brand reputable manufacturers, some of these OEM/smaller players disappear after a short time. Even big brand reputable manufacturer also sometimes stop providing certain services comes bundled with their products after a period of time.

When that happens, the system will not work. You'll need to reconfigure everything again.

Of course DDNS will also encounter the same issues if the DDNS services stop. Be if from the manufacturer or DYNDNS/No-IP/Various others. But at least when that happens, it'll be easier to resolved. Even temporary solution such as finding out the current IP and keying it manually to view will work. P2P won't.

I'm not saying don't use. I am just saying I would avoid using that as the main configuration method. I am coming from a SI perspective that I have to support customers after the installation process. I want something that I can control and troubleshoot instead of having to rely totally on manufacturer to do that. Some manufacturer are not responsive at all.

We had encountered manufacturer's DDNS Server (Big Brand) that went down and we noticed that as calls starts coming in from our customers to say they can't view. Tried contacting the Taiwan manufacturer and it took almost 1 day before they got back to us acknowledging the issues.

But at least on our end, we are able to isolate the issues and recommend alternative temporary solution to customers before the manufacturer come back to us. You won't be able to do that with P2P. Server down can't view ? Too bad, wait for server to come back online then view.

@Daryl733,

Thanks for the detailed, thoughtful and thorough response.

I'm using Dahua all around. (not re-labelled).

Hopefully, some P2P stability there, based on their size.

Based on your comments, I scoured the menus and manual. I can't find what P2P server is being used. That's a concern. You elaborated why, and raised potential issues and real risks I wasn't aware of.

As you point out, there's more to consider than latency.

P2P is easy. I'll have to bite the bullet, and not take the easy path....

Thanks again!