Sign in to follow this  
Klop_Cam

wireless wire combo

I have a customer/friend who wants 9 cameras at their house. 4 are outdoor and 5 are indoor. The outdoors are easy but the indoor will be difficult to wire without making a few holes. I thought of using the wifi cameras inside and wired outside. I have a few ideas how to do so but looking for other ideas

The Tricky Part

They also want their resturant installed with cameras which would be all hard wired. I would like to keep it the same system brand because they are not to tech savy. And I would like to give them an option of a CMS

Klop_cam,

Welcome to the forum! I also recently joined...

I have a Dahua 4216 NVR. For WiFi, I have a Dahua IPC-HFW1200S-W Small Bullet, 2MP.

The images look very good. The NVR stays connected across the network. I switched to static IP to solve this problem: DHCP would change the WiFi cam's IP on my network. The NVR kept looking at the previous IP addr, and couldn't reach the cam. Static IP: problem solved.

My WiFi cam needs 12V power. So for your friend, a "few holes" may be needed.

You didn't say if WiFi already exists, or if you'd install WiFi just to get wireless cams. Instead of going down the WiFi path, you might consider IP over the powerline. ie: use the house AC wiring to handle the video data.

Personally, I'm opting for WiFi outdoors, and wired most places indoors. Every cabling job is different!

Brian

I switched to static IP to solve this problem: DHCP would change the WiFi cam's IP on my network. The NVR kept looking at the previous IP addr, and couldn't reach the cam. Static IP: problem solved.

Brian, you could set static DHCP pool table for the MAC address of the cameras. Most of modern routers have this, so you could stay assured the cameras have always the same address set by DHCP.

If you use static IP directly on camera, you should first check the DHCP pool size, in order to eliminate any possibility that your router could assign the same ip address you set on camera to a different "new" device joined in your network (e.g. Camera IP is 192.168.1.108 and the router has DHCP addresses starting from 192.168.1.100... the 9-th device added in your network could conflict with static ip of the camera...)

Except for that, yes, you can stick to Dahua devices, SmartPSS (CMS) is quite user-friendly and you can also have pretty neat functions to use...