Sign in to follow this  
syvman

4 Camera system options - NVR vs. PC vs. Standalone

Hi everyone - I have a couple of questions that are probably pretty basic, but since I'm new to this I am basically ignorant. Here goes.

I am planning a four camera system - they'll all be installed in eaves around my garage area - this will provide the best coverage around my entire home, and the wiring would be fairly easy to run to each camera since I have access to the attic area above the garage. I haven't really considered which cameras, but just from a wire simplicity standpoint, I'd like to use PoE cameras. My concern is getting those cameras connected to my home wireless network (the office area is FAR from the garage area, and due to the design of my home, running a hard ethernet cable from the router to the PoE switch would be a huge feat). I have a couple of ideas floating in my head - I'll attach two diagrams and see what you all think (please forgive me for the crude diagrams - I am not much of an artist).

The above diagram would be a scenario where I would use a wireless access point (to connect to the home network) and then connect that to a PoE switch to connect to the cameras. I'd use my HTPC as the recorder (probably start with a free option for software - Blue Iris or iSpy).

This second diagram would use a NVR (my preferred method) located near the cameras. The question I have is - does someone make a NVR with built-in wireless to connect to my network AND a PoE switch? I searched and searched and couldn't find one. I prefer the NVR method because it provides me the ability to not rely on my HTPC (Windows loves to update and reboot without my permission). Keeping the camera system separate also means I could provide a UPS JUST for the cameras.

The big hangup is my inability to get a physical wire between the switch and the router - will 802.11N (dual band) provide enough throughput for streaming video from four cameras? Also - when using a NVR, I assume I'd have to use software designed for that NVR - do they typically include software?

Finally, I'm also possibly just considering a standalone 4 camera system that has the ability to connect to my network wirelessly, but that puts me at the mercy of the capabilities of the system (I'd like to be able to select my own cameras, configure my own options for motion, constant recording, etc.). Any advice would be GREATLY appreciated everyone!

-Terry

ip_pic1.png.74484b277e5047c9dc90b1af23402b0c.png

ip_pic2.png.e9d2d6a9f3c6eaa147054d59e41882c4.png

I should also mention a couple of other things - I wasn't planning on installing any of this hardware in the garage attic area - just running the wiring in this area - I live in the east valley in AZ and it gets HOT up there - I doubt any switch would survive long in that heat. I figured I'd run the wires to an adjacent climate-controlled room.

Also, I would like to have the ability to get alerts via email/text when motion is detected, etc. I figured most software packages offer this ability. Finally, audio is not really necessary for the footage - I'm more concerned with picture quality and reliability.

Run cameras to Poe switch. Connect nvr to switch.

Connect wireless router to switch.

You can access the nvr from any wireless device in the house.

We use this setup on all of our installs. Typically we don't use the wifi but we have some customers who do not want the surveillance network touching their network. So they have to connect with laptops via wireless..

Also our techs can access the system without having to plug in. We have one install where everything is in an environmental enclosure we don't even have to leave our truck to access the system...

Thank you for the replies! It seems by what you both have written that my original plan will not be feasible... I was really hoping to be able to connect the cameras (through a NVR) to my home network via wireless, but it looks like you are really recommending a physical connection between the PoE switch and the rest of my network (wireless router). I saw a product after doing some more searching today - it's an IAP-200EP... would this possibly help my cause?

Thank you for the replies! It seems by what you both have written that my original plan will not be feasible... I was really hoping to be able to connect the cameras (through a NVR) to my home network via wireless, but it looks like you are really recommending a physical connection between the PoE switch and the rest of my network (wireless router). I saw a product after doing some more searching today - it's an IAP-200EP... would this possibly help my cause?

Hi. This will do what you need. If your garage is on the same power as your house

http://www.netgear.com/home/products/networking/powerline/PL1200.aspx

Well, there's a myriad of choices out there. Between searching on this forum and other places online, I think I've narrowed down my decision to this NVR: GW GW2208EP

8 channel NVR with 2TB drive and built-in PoE switch. I also think I've made a decision on cameras (I nixed the ptz options when I saw the pricetags - ouch). I like the GW camera options, and they appear to be competitively priced. Anyone have any experience with this model?

I was considering the Honeywell HEN08121, but after discovering that it is limited to just Honeywell cameras was a bit of a letdown. However, I am not 100% sure if the GW has a similar restriction or not. However, the ability to link it to my home alarm system was appealing - could this be a viable option or are the cameras way too pricey?

I'm probably going to run the wires into my pantry in the kitchen so the NVR is out of sight.

I do have one question, not sure if anyone here has tried this - I see that most of these NVRs come with a mouse and a remote control for playback, etc... And they also have VGA/HDMI out ports for connection to a monitor. As for the mouse connection, would a touchscreen monitor with USB connectivity (for the touchscreen part) work as a mouse replacement? Or maybe a wireless mouse? I'd like to be able to place a monitor somewhere remotely since I won't really have any place to put a physical mouse in our pantry. Just curious.

Ok - I've been known to waffle on a decision from time to time - I'd like to ask if anyone has any experience with the Honeywell NVRs, more specifically the HEN08121 model or just along the "Performance Series IP NVRs"... I've scoured the internet for resources, but there are only a handful of sellers and no reviews - I think it might be due to the fact that these apparently have only been on the market for a handful of months and the jury is still out. Anyone seen or use one of these?