shunbab

Wireless camera birdbox project HELP

Hi I hope this is posted in the correct topic - apologies if not.

I recently bought the below wireless mini camera which I intended on fitting next to my front door as a covert camera and wiring into my current digital CCTV system... however decided against this as I didn't see where I could place it without looking obvious. Also I decided as a project with my kids, I would fit the camera into a bird-box and place it in a tree opposite my house in the hope of filming nesting birds. The problem I have encountered is that I cannot pick up the wireless signal from the camera through the AV receiver! Now I realise you only get what you pay for (this was a £20 job from ebay) but it states that transmission distance should be 20-75m. The distance I require is only 15-20m however that is through my house wall so this is obviously affecting the distance!

Can anybody recommend a way of boosting the signal? I believe the best way may be to replace the aerial on the camera or AV adaptor (or both) but didn't want to fork out on the wrong one if it didn't fit!

I would really appreciate any advice from anybody who might be able to help with this and you would make my kids very happy:)

Wireless.thumb.JPG.580dc2df42a95ec57ef09626969aad10.JPG

Shunbab,

Welcome to the forum!

Quick question: Have you ruled out WiFi connection problems? ie: did the camera connect to your WiFi router when the distance was less?

I might suggest a simple test. When connected near the house, how far can you go before losing the connection?

If you only need to gain a little bit of range, you might try placing a ground plane behind the antenna. This will boos the signal - the ground plane will let the antenna be more effective, and will make it somewhat directional.

A flat piece of metal, old license plate, or flat galvanized sheet metal from Home Depot may be adequate. Connect the plate to ground on the power supply line.

If you're at the limit of coverage, you may lose the connection in rain. Wet leaves and wet house siding will absorb the RF energy.

Good luck!