Sign in to follow this  
TonyC32

Help with a really simple PC based set up

I posted this in a different forum but after some reading I think this is the forum head it should be in!!

Great forum here, i've been lurking and reading for a few hours now but i'm still none the wiser. I'm learning slowly but I thought i'd ask for advice.

I'm not sure exactly the equipment I require.

My car keeps getting broken into. I thought i'd get a camera to watch the driveway. I would be prepared to spend around £100-£150 but if something is really good I can be tempted to spend more.

I'd like it to be a Wireless CCTV camera, outdoors, both colour and night vision (IR). High Quality.

I'd like it to connect to my PC so I can save the Video / Stills to my disk drives (got about 500GB I can dedicate!) and monitor from the PC.

As far as I know I need:

• A Wireless CCTV Camera
    An Antenna (2.4Ghz)
    RCA cable
    A DVR card to take the feed from the antenna to my PC
    Software for the camera for monitoring and recording.

Is this right? I'm open to your advice and experiences. I'm still learning! I just don't understand what I need!

If anyone has any advice as to which would be the best equipment for my needs it would be much appreciated! I'm looking at a lot of websites and a lot of ebay auctions (which all seem shady) - all are very different!

I'm looking at using a single PC for this - the same PC I use for work, internet, gaming etc. It's a top PC (know more about PC's than I do CCTV!) and seeing as I only intend on having one camera I'm hoping it will be ok as a shared resource.

If push comes to shove I can build a second machine, got an AMD XP 2800 system that's missing a few pieces but can be built easily.

Many Thanks

Tony

Go wired over wireless.

But some questions that might help:

How much light is there by the car? If you have a light source near by then IR is just going to make it look washed out.

Is the 150 pounds your total budget or camera budget?

I guess I can go wired. Wireless would have been for the ease of use.

There is a light sensor near the car, so any movement would trigger the light. Would this mean I should avoid IR?

£150 was my total budget. Apologies if this is stupidly low, i'm don't yet have a feel for the cost of quality goods with regards to CCTV!

Am I right in what i said above, CCTV would go to receiver, then to a DVR card....or can the camera go straight to a DVR card?

Thanks for the reply

The issue with wireless is interferance. And generally you have to wire it a little bit anyway (for power).

Depending on the lights, that would make me avoid IR since it sounds like there is light focused on the area already.

The budget question simply allows people to focus on how much for the camera, how much for the card etc.

Camera ->cable (RG-59 or something else) -> DVR card.

Thanks for the input

With regards to interference the camera will be situated around 10 feet from the receiver if I do go wireless. Pretty much on the other side of the wall.

What is a good camera if I go wired. You see so much crap on ebay i'd like to be sure I get something you peeps with more experience consider to be a good prodcut