Sign in to follow this  
kasito

PoE question

Hello. I would like to buy few IP outdoor cameras, but I am not quite sure how to power them. I live in place where temperatures can easily drop to -20 C in winter and I am afraid that powering via POE will not be enough to keep them in operational temperature. Or does it not matter at all? Like, if camera is designed to work in -20 there is not some kind of heating which would require more power? What are your experience telling please?

thank you.

Hello Kasito.

As an Aussie I'm uniquely unqualified to answer this but what the hell. If you are looking at PoE power every camera should have a wattage rating in the specs list, usually with a max and average rating. Most cameras are fine with any PoE switch or injector (14ish watts max) but some cameras with heaters or PTZ require PoE+ (about 25 watts max from memory). The cameras specs should clearly state the temperature range and the max power requirements, this max should include heaters and motors running.

If you are unsure and running cable before purchasing equipment I would recommend a Cat5e cable and a Figure 8 minimum. That way anything higher power you can put a 12VDC or 24VAC power supply onto the devices.

I can't recommend cameras unfortunately, though I've hear tales that mobotix are used in the Antarctic and I believe I remember seeing footage from some cheap hikvision cameras filming a deer in the snow. Seemed pretty clear.

Hello. I would like to buy few IP outdoor cameras, but I am not quite sure how to power them. I live in place where temperatures can easily drop to -20 C in winter and I am afraid that powering via POE will not be enough to keep them in operational temperature. Or does it not matter at all? Like, if camera is designed to work in -20 there is not some kind of heating which would require more power? What are your experience telling please?

thank you.

Like the other poster I would say it doesn't matter. POE is a standard with various flavors. The standard doesn't have anything to do with whether this camera or that switch can handle the cold. You need to look at the ratings for each piece of equipment.

Yes, if there is heating it requires more power, but POE can do that. You just have to look at the rating, distance and load etc.

If you really have doubts run low voltage cable at the same time.

Thank you guys for replying.

I will use POE (distances are not too long and I will try to buy good cable), but I will also put power cable into cable guard as a backup.

Hopefully everything will end well