Mad Professor

Hikvision DS-2CD2032-I and Netgear GS108P: PoE Not working

Hi All.

I am looking for some help and advice with regards to my Hikvision DS-2CD2032-I and Netgear GS108P.

My understanding is that the Netgear GS108P ports 1 to 4 support PoE, and 5 to 8 do not support PoE.

Looking at the manuals, both the camera and the switch support PoE 802.3af

I am wanting to install the above camera and power it via PoE. But it seems that it is a no go, I have tried each of the PoE ports.

I can power the camera via an external 12volt supply and the camera will work just fine, But nothing via PoE.

Where the camera is due to be installed is less then 15m of cable from the Netgear GS108P. My RJ45 cable tester shows no problems with the cable, but to be sure I even plugged in a 0.5m cat5e, and still no go.

I do not have any other PoE devices to be able to test the Netgear GS108P, and I have no other way of supplying PoE to the camera.

Can anyone here think of anything else that I can try before I have to start spending out more money.

Thanks for your time.

If you have a volt meter check that the switch is providing a proper POE to power the camera...

Thank you for your reply.

At this point in time I have done no other testing besides what I have said in the above post.

Just to ad that when the camera is connected to the switch none of the PoE or link lights for that connected port light up.

I can only presume that the switch is not detecting that the camera is PoE and thus will not supply power.

I am just trying to do as much researching before I proceed with any more testing.

https://portal.chippc.com/support/downloads/files/PoE_and_IEEE802_3af.pdf

Line Detection

Before power is applied, safety dictates that it must first be ensured that a valid PD is connected to the PSE's output.

This process is referred to as "line detection", and involves the PSE seeking a specific, 25 KΩ signature resistor.

Detection of this signature indicates that a valid PD is connected, and that provision of power to the device may commence.

The signature resistor lies in the PD's PoE front-end, isolated from the rest of the the PD's circuitries

till detection is certified.

Classification

Once a PD is detected, the PSE may optionally perform classification, to determine the maximal power a PD is to consume.

The PSE induces 15.5-20.5 Vdc, limited to 100 mA, for a period of 10 to 75 ms responded by a certain current consumption by the PD, indicating its power class.

The PD is assigned to one of 5 classes: 0 (default class) indicates that full 15.4 watts should be provided, 1-3 indicate various required power levels and 4 is reserved for future use.

PDs that do not support classification are assigned to class 0.

Special care must be employed in the definition of class thresholds, as classification may be affected by cable losses.

Classifying a PD according to its power consumption may assist a PoE system in optimizing its power distribution.

Such a system typically suffers from lack of power resources, so that efficient power management based on classification results may reduce total system costs.

Start-up

Once line detection and optional classification stages are completed, the PSE must switch from low voltage to its full voltage capacity (44-57 Volts) over a minimal amount of time (above 15 microseconds). A gradual startup is required, as a sudden rise in voltage (reaching high frequencies) would introduce noise on the data lines.

Once provision of power is initiated, it is common for inrush current to be experienced at the PSE port, due to the PD’s input capacitance.

A PD must be designed to cease inrush current consumption (of over 350 mA) within 50 ms of power provision startup.

I welcome any more thoughts.

Best Regards.

Thank you for your replies.

I can confirm that my Netgear GS108P was indeed faulty.

It would work as a network switch, but the PoE side was totally dead.

I filed a Netgear support ticket, and as the ProSAFE range has a Lifetime Warranty, I was offered a replacement unit, but the GS108P is a discontinued product so I was sent a GS108PEv3.

Thanks again for your time.

Best Regards.