cupboy

mp4 files - can this be converted to other video formats?

I have a GE Security DVR which records mp4 files. These play on Windows using a supplied program, but can the files be converted to a standard format playable on a Mac or other devices?

A free shareware program i use is Handbrake which is a great tool for converting .avi to .mp4 but if you just rename the source file which would be

an .mp4 to name.avi it does work..

https://handbrake.fr/

otherwise there are paid programs out there you can find with googling 'convert .mp4 to .avi'

A free shareware program i use is Handbrake which is a great tool for converting .avi to .mp4 but if you just rename the source file which would be

an .mp4 to name.avi it does work..

https://handbrake.fr/

otherwise there are paid programs out there you can find with googling 'convert .mp4 to .avi'

So if I rename the .mp4 to .avi I can play it with something? QuickTime player cannot play it even if I change the extension to .api

I am downloading Handbrake 0.10.5 For Mac

I tried using it but it doesn't accept either .mp4 or files that were .mp4 that I changed the extension to .api, also there are no instructions on how to use the free product. All I see is Source No Valid Source Found.

I read somewhere else that these files aren't really mp4 files, just that the dvr manufacturer calls them that. This "reader" .exe that they supply is really annoying.

I read somewhere else that these files aren't really mp4 files, and are just some proprietary format. This "player" .exe they supply is really annoying since the window size will change on its own.