ayjay2016

Newbie help for DVR software, computer literate

I am very new to the CCTV environment but not the computer world. But i did have a good question i cannot wrap around. My DVR did not come with the software that is said to come with every DVR. I have searched for some but they all seem to be proprietary. So are they all propriety? I have an Xvim brand DVR. I want to have my recorded CCTV transfer from my DVR 2TB HDD to my LAN network server RAID file storage. This will go on to play scan the video files with object recognition software.

Do i need a special proprietary software for my DVR system or is there a generic way to do this?

(ALL my computer and software knowledge is self taught and no schooling)

I am very new to the CCTV environment but not the computer world. But i did have a good question i cannot wrap around. My DVR did not come with the software that is said to come with every DVR. I have searched for some but they all seem to be proprietary. So are they all propriety? I have an Xvim brand DVR. I want to have my recorded CCTV transfer from my DVR 2TB HDD to my LAN network server RAID file storage. This will go on to play scan the video files with object recognition software.

Do i need a special proprietary software for my DVR system or is there a generic way to do this?

(ALL my computer and software knowledge is self taught and no schooling)

I am not familiar with your brand of DVR, but many DVRs simply use a web browser based interface. So you should be able to access and set up the DVR by using your web browser (ie. Firefox), type in the DVRs IP address (eg. 192.168.0.64), and login into the DVR. The rest gets specific to each make and model of DVR. Also many DVRs create uncommon file formats, and need a file converter or a special player to view the recordings.

If you need to get the files off your DVR; many have USB back up options. Not ideal I know.

I suggest trying to find the manual for your DVR. My Google search came up with the Xvim brand for sale, but you didn't include a model number so I couldn't look any further. Best of luck.

The manual that came with it is pretty much useless, it shows a manual for a 16 channel DVR which mine is not. Cannot find the company website either. Don't get me wrong. The cameras and DVR for the price is not bad at all.

http://www.amazon.com/XVIM-Detection-Surveillance-Security-Included/dp/B01174BGP0/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1459292254&sr=8-1&keywords=xvim+4ch+720p+hdmi

The DVR shows to have an FTP server option so I will try with that. I just don't have a lot of time to dedicate so I need to know the options before I start. But your reply is all I need to go off. thanks!