Sign in to follow this  
young707

digital or analog cameras

I am shopping for CCTV security survelliance cameras systems. I probebly seeking two outdoor cameras at two outside front facing corners of my house.

I found they mostly have analog cameras using BNC type cables. What is the signal max for cable length? I also found digital cameras using Ethernet type cables. What is the max cable length for these digital signal?

All cameras and cables are for outdoor installations.

Thank you for your advices in advance.

http://www.google.com/url?q=http://www.aventuracctv.com/newsletter/DOCS/Aventura_Newsletter_02_Analog_vs_IP_Cameras.pdf&sa=U&ved=0ahUKEwillZX09-nLAhVM7iYKHQU5DNMQFggOMAE&usg=AFQjCNGGnqtA9ZcoAvm1UMGpznwbQNQ_4Q

The above PDF will give you some usefull information on what you seek. In my experience. Analog is better for redundancy and reliability. Giving you purchase quality cables and the correct gauge for your situation. Thicker cables that pass by power (hot) cables in your home to reduce interference.

Digital cameras are good. But mostly rely on wireless communications. They are great for convienece. But when you take into consideration the inner workings of wireless data transfer. There is more room for error. As in does the area have good wireless reception. Can anything moble obstruct that reception.

Ive had issues with playback from digital cameras in the form of missing frames. Which in the worse case scenario can make or break identifying a key feature of say a person or car or object.

If i were you. Analog cannot go wrong. It's a much longer and planned out installation. But very worth the time and efffort for the end result.

Hope this helps

thank you ayjay2016 for your informative detail comments.

Yes, looks like I am sold. Analog that is.

Cable + power for around 30 feet, will I need balun, or just pure analog will be enough?

What outdoor cable do you recommend? Any in Amazon?

I only need 2 cameras. Should I just pick up a kit at Costco? Or, should I assembly my own DIY system?

thank you ayjay2016 for your informative detail comments.

Yes, looks like I am sold. Analog that is.

Cable + power for around 30 feet, will I need balun, or just pure analog will be enough?

What outdoor cable do you recommend? Any in Amazon?

I only need 2 cameras. Should I just pick up a kit at Costco? Or, should I assembly my own DIY system?

Hi ayjay has given you information from 10 years ago

Don't go analog

Look for cvi or tvi and ip

getting more confuse everyday:

Technology : AHD TVI CVI

NTSC/PAL Support : YES NO YES

D1-960H Compatibility : YES NO YES

Video & Data Combined : YES NO YES

Transmission (75 Ohm coax @720p) : 500m 500m 500m

Audio Support : YES YES YES

Analogue Matrix Support : YES NO NO

Video Distributor Support : YES NO NO

Open Platform Design : YES YES NO

DVRs support 720P and 1080P : YES YES NO

getting more confuse everyday:

Technology : AHD TVI CVI

NTSC/PAL Support : YES NO YES

D1-960H Compatibility : YES NO YES

Video & Data Combined : YES NO YES

Transmission (75 Ohm coax @720p) : 500m 500m 500m

Audio Support : YES YES YES

Analogue Matrix Support : YES NO NO

Video Distributor Support : YES NO NO

Open Platform Design : YES YES NO

DVRs support 720P and 1080P : YES YES NO

Hi. You will always get confused if you don't understand or if your going to believe bad sales info.

Everything above in RED is wrong.

Transmission IS NOT restricted to 500m

Analog matrix support ..... Why go back to rca/scart/BNC ........ VGA and HDMI is digital which is now on most new TVs and monitors.

Well, these are much too complicated for 2 cameras residential home security camera.

I am thinking just 3TB HDD recording, say for a week, then insert another 3TB HDD. Otherwise, it just record over the same HDD. HD Analog 1080p with night vision.

Should I just choose kits like those at Costco - Swann analog DVR.

Or, I should pick and choose the DVR & camera & cabling.

The above PDF will give you some usefull information on what you seek. In my experience. Analog is better for redundancy and reliability. Giving you purchase quality cables and the correct gauge for your situation. Thicker cables that pass by power (hot) cables in your home to reduce interference.

Digital cameras are good. But mostly rely on wireless communications. They are great for convienece. But when you take into consideration the inner workings of wireless data transfer. There is more room for error. As in does the area have good wireless reception. Can anything moble obstruct that reception.

Ive had issues with playback from digital cameras in the form of missing frames. Which in the worse case scenario can make or break identifying a key feature of say a person or car or object.

If i were you. Analog cannot go wrong. It's a much longer and planned out installation. But very worth the time and efffort for the end result.

Hope this helps

"Analog is better for redundancy and reliability."

Reliability, *maybe*. Redundancy? I don't know where you got that.

"Digital cameras are good. But mostly rely on wireless communications."

Then don't buy a crappy Wifi camera. Buy one that uses Ethernet.

"Ive had issues with playback from digital cameras in the form of missing frames."

Yes this can happen, but can be mitigated.

"Analog cannot go wrong."

Unless you want high resolution. Analog cameras are constrained by the nearly 70 year old NTSC standard.

I have a multiple IP camera installation in my residence, powered by PoE, using a standard computer that runs a VMS and would never trade it for an analog system.

Well, these are much too complicated for 2 cameras residential home security camera.

I am thinking just 3TB HDD recording, say for a week, then insert another 3TB HDD. Otherwise, it just record over the same HDD. HD Analog 1080p with night vision.

Should I just choose kits like those at Costco - Swann analog DVR.

Or, I should pick and choose the DVR & camera & cabling.

1080p and analog don't go together. As I mentioned in my previous post, analog has a limit on resolution that will never change. No such problem with IP ("digital") cameras.

Its a shame that incompetent folks like ayjay post this garbage recommending analog when they simply have NO clue what they are talking about.