Sign in to follow this  
GilesM

external cameras - Lorex, Swann or Synology any advice?

Hello,

I have been running two internal (in the house) IP cameras (Foscam FI9810W) using the Synology Surveillance Station on my Synology EDS14 system (under the included 2 free licences).

I want to add some external cameras, up to 3, for the external views.

I have several options and wanted some advice please;

1) I have another Synology NAS (216play) on to which I can add up 2 cameras under existing licence, or 3 if I choose to buy another licence.

2) Buy a Swann four camera system and have it installed (hardware price (£299, installation price £299, total £598).

3) Buy a Lorex system for the same install and hardware price.

Are the Swann or Lorex systems any good, or should I stick with the Synology eco-system?

If I stick with the Synology eco-system are there any particularly good cameras to get?

My instinct is to stick with Synology, as today I have 2 licences on the 216 play device I am not using.

The hardware cost seems to be around the same in either case, add to Synology or add a whole new system.

But the entire Synology system is IP dependant, at least with the Lorex/Swann systems if my router goes down or some other such outage at least the external system will still work, even if I would not be able to remote monitor.

Can any one offer an opinion please?

I would go with Swann cameras. I have two of their dome cameras on my home, and they are super great at night. I also have an Omniview varifocal camera - I was considering changing it to a Swann camera. That gives an idea at what I prefer.

As per the DVR, I don't know much about them, I only know about the cameras. I use a Kodicom 16ch dvr (I don't have it connected for remote view).

Hopefully this helps,

Chris.