odw13

Identifying Vandals. Reccomendations for CCTV Upgrade

Hi there.

Have read through lot's of forum post and read countless online articles regarding the best type CCTV available, and still I am really unsure of what is best for us.

The situation: Ongoing issues with vandals damaging my elderly parents car, in day and at night, parked by curb 10 meters from house.

Our current setup:An 'AvTech Day and Night 420 TVL CCD Outdoor Cam' and it is connected via AV to this DVR: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/4-Channel-CCTV-Digital-Video-Recorder-DVR-500GB-HDD-/180689104424?

What we need: We are looking to upgrade our system so it will be of some use in identifying the offenders. The police say our current setup is too grainy- which it is- especially at night when the majority of offenses occur. Also, I would very much like to view the CCTV remotely, as I cannot always be at my parents house and I worry so much that I would like to be able to check the footage when possible. I have a Samsung Galaxy S5 so if I could view from that, it would be great. Also, my parents have quite a good internet connection, if that makes any difference.

What I've read: From what I have read, IP camera's offer the best quality, but are they as reliable as our current setup, by which I mean, will they offer constant round the clock recording? I've also heard that HikVision offer good quality cams, but then I am no expert myself and am really unsure. One more issue is that from what I've read, my DVR may let down the quality of a new camera. Would it be best to upgrade our entire system?

I apologize if some of this can sound a little misinformed, I am not up with all of the latest technology anymore. I would really appreciate anyone giving me some advice on what sort of camera/ system we should be going for.

Kind regards,

odw13

I run hikvision 3mp but now hikvision do 4mp. My 3mp has identified car thefts before and good enough quality for prosecution. Police have also commented how clear it is at night, even though i think its still grainy.

You are running 400tvl which is really craply old technology.

Change the whole system.

I ran a Samsung s4 with ivms4500 app and view live and replay footage.

I now have Samsung s6 and just as good.

So my suggestion get into the 4mp hikvision camera range im sure you will be happy.

Hi there,

Thanks for the reply.

Looks pretty good to me, far better than my current setup. I'm going to look into the 4mp Hikvision range today and make a decision.

Just out of curiosity, how do you record your footage? Via cloud or onto a NCR? I'm assuming an NCR would be more reliable and easier to go through footage?

Kind regards,

Odw13.

Currently with an NVR. Im looking into a cloud server as well. Just more incase someone breaks in and steals my NVR, at least then the footage will still be there.

Great, thanks for the advice.

I have been looking at a lot of IP system setup videos and forum posts, but keep getting conflicting information.

Could I be bold and ask another question?

This may sound extremely naive, but would I be right in saying that the IP camera would be connected to both my Talk Talk modem and the NVR, and that's all there is to it? I'm not the most tech- savvy person in the world, clearly.

I only ask as am looking at getting the below kit and wondered if there would be anything else I should get ready to set it up.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B017C53TI0/ref=wl_it_dp_o_pC_S_ttl?_encoding=UTF8&colid=DUE7H1PDOOGX&coliid=I3HJ1GEDY7V18J

& this NVR with 1TB hard-drive.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Hikvision-IP-NVR-4-CH-8-CH-with-POE-DS-7604NI-E1-4P-A-DS-7608NI-E2-8P-A-/121961399128?var=&hash=item1c65774358:m:mTp8X2bk0bsmEXUEtkRaTLg

Many thanks in advance.

Hi. You have to look out for a few things when buying hikvision.

You don't want a China osd display

With you having an existing system with coax I would look at a cvi or tvi system...... With you installing for your elderly parents cvi or tvi might be a better option.

I would also look at less than 4mp ..... 2 or 3mp will be enough for your 10m