Have system I would like to build around a AMD 2.4 ghz, 1 gig pc3200 ram, need advice on a good dvr card 60 to 120 fps. I read a lot about some cards requiring Pentium 4 because of hyperthreading.

What type of mother board do you have, check the CHIPSET on that first as thats what really matters with the 60-120fos cards.

Abit NF7-S Nividia N-force 2 chipset, will use a quality agp video card, 475 watt psu Enermax. Then I need to pick the 4 cameras, 2 outside all weather day night, 2 inside all 4 color. When I choose the card would like one that comes with decent software, Thanks.

Hi, you might want to try the AVerMedia NV5000 card. We have been running this card on our AMD Athlon with the Via KT800 for months now without a hitch. Love the software!

Yeah youll have to find one that works with the NVidea Chipset ..

Not sure if Geo or Avermedia does or not ..

Rory

I saw 1 card that requires Pent. 4 hyperthreading turned off to work properly, can't remember, if I find it will post the name.

Chipsets generally include the PCI bus Bridge. Any kind of capture card is doing things the people who wrote the PCI spec never pondered. As such, this can make some cards more cranky then others depending on how close to the spec the PCI-Bridge is.

Has anyone had good luck with a Nvidia chipset board, if not will find something else. The card vendors do not specify, I do not want to invest in a card that does not work.

Actually we have been running the AVerMedia NV5000 on the following PC spec for about 1 month. The only issue we encountered was that we couldn't enable audio recording. Otherwise every functions seem to work pretty well.

AMD Athlon 64 3000+

Gigabyte GA-K8NSC-939 with Nvidia nForce3 250

Award Software International Inc

DDR-SDRAM single 512MB

Nvidia GeForce4 FX5700 128MB

Realtek AC97 Audio

Marvell Yukon Gigabit Ethernet

WDC WD800JD-00JRA0

Has anyone had good luck with a Nvidia chipset board, if not will find something else. The card vendors do not specify, I do not want to invest in a card that does not work.

Yo ucant go wrong with an Intel Chipset Mother board, so I would suggest that if you can afford to buya new mother board.

I personally run the GV250 on a Via Chipset, though it is a buget card. For all other higher GVs I would only use Intel, even if others "may" work. We're talking about a security system. I have used a SIS Chipset as it was all that was available on the island at the time, with a GV800, but if I had the choice it would have been an Intel, same price. Basically you'll stand more chance that it will work properly if you use an Intel Chipset, with any DVR Card.

Geo lists somewhere, what Chipsets are approved to work with their cards.

I have not built an Intel pc in 10 years, all AMD. Need some good advice on a Intel board and a decent cpu. Should I go to a Intel forum?

Doesnt have to be anything amazing ... what kind of DVR card are you looking at .. Frames Per Seconds..? You can easily use 2.0 to 3.0 Ghz Cellerons for the lower rate DVR Cards like 120fps ... though for faster would go with P4 and 3.0 ghz+ , any board with an Intel Chipset and that supports the CPU you select ...

Typically i have used 2.93 Ghz 478 Cellerons for up to the 120fps (for the 30fps can be as low as 1.7 Ghz), and 3 Ghz P4 for anything else. As for Video Card its always 128MB ATI Radeon (and 512MB DDR RAM) for up to 120fps and 256MB+ (and 1GB RAM) for the P4 ones.

Yo ucant go wrong with an Intel Chipset Mother board, so I would suggest that if you can afford to buya new mother board.

I personally run the GV250 on a Via Chipset, though it is a buget card. For all other higher GVs I would only use Intel, even if others "may" work. We're talking about a security system. I have used a SIS Chipset as it was all that was available on the island at the time, with a GV800, but if I had the choice it would have been an Intel, same price. Basically you'll stand more chance that it will work properly if you use an Intel Chipset, with any DVR Card.

Geo lists somewhere, what Chipsets are approved to work with their cards.

No, but you can go wrong with an Intel CPU. Pentium 4 processors are notorious for being very high energy consumers and running very hot. Neither is a desirable attirbute in a machine meant to run 24/7.

That situation will change much for the better when Intel starts shipping the Core 2 (Conroe) processors later this year. They should run significantly cooler and consumer a lot less power. Until then, if efficiency is your concern, your only option is AMD.

This is the primary reason, I think, why most people would resist an Intel chipset. It's certainly the primary reason why I would be interested in finding something AMD-based.

Do you know of a card that works with AMD and there chipsets, I perfer NVidia. I am using an AMD 2600 running at 2.6 ghz rock stable for 1 year with low temps and no problems, just need to find a card and software that will work.

I have the AVerMedia 5000 and it required to deactivate Hyperthreading.

So maybe that's why you can use AMD systems with AVerMedia.