odw13

CCTV Upgrade: Is IP camera as reliable as BNC connected cam

Hi there.

Have read through lot's of forum post and read countless online articles regarding the best type CCTV available, and still I am really unsure of what is best for us.

The situation: Ongoing issues with vandals damaging my elderly parents car, in day and at night, parked by curb 10 meters from house.

Our current setup:An 'AvTech Day and Night 420 TVL CCD Outdoor Cam' and it is connected via BNC to this DVR: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/4-Channel-CCTV-Digital-Video-Recorder-DVR-500GB-HDD-/180689104424?

What we need: We are looking to upgrade our system so it will be of some use in identifying the offenders. The police say our current setup is too grainy- which it is- especially at night when the majority of offenses occur. Also, I would very much like to view the CCTV remotely, as I cannot always be at my parents house and I worry so much that I would like to be able to check the footage when possible. I have a Samsung Galaxy S5 so if I could view from that, it would be great. Also, my parents have quite a good internet connection, if that makes any difference.

What I've read: From what I have read, IP camera's offer the best quality, but are they as reliable as our current setup, by which I mean, will they offer constant round the clock recording, of will they fail if the internet signal drops? I've also heard that HikVision offer good quality cams, but then I am no expert myself and am really unsure. One more issue is that from what I've read, my DVR may let down the quality of a new camera or will it be needed at all? Would it be best to upgrade our entire system?

I apologize if some of this can sound a little misinformed, I am not up with all of the latest technology anymore. I would really appreciate anyone giving me some advice on what sort of camera/ system we should be going for.

Kind regards,

odw13

Hi there.

Have read through lot's of forum post and read countless online articles regarding the best type CCTV available, and still I am really unsure of what is best for us.

The situation: Ongoing issues with vandals damaging my elderly parents car, in day and at night, parked by curb 10 meters from house.

Our current setup:An 'AvTech Day and Night 420 TVL CCD Outdoor Cam' and it is connected via BNC to this DVR: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/4-Channel-CCTV-Digital-Video-Recorder-DVR-500GB-HDD-/180689104424?

What we need: We are looking to upgrade our system so it will be of some use in identifying the offenders. The police say our current setup is too grainy- which it is- especially at night when the majority of offenses occur. Also, I would very much like to view the CCTV remotely, as I cannot always be at my parents house and I worry so much that I would like to be able to check the footage when possible. I have a Samsung Galaxy S5 so if I could view from that, it would be great. Also, my parents have quite a good internet connection, if that makes any difference.

What I've read: From what I have read, IP camera's offer the best quality, but are they as reliable as our current setup, by which I mean, will they offer constant round the clock recording, of will they fail if the internet signal drops? I've also heard that HikVision offer good quality cams, but then I am no expert myself and am really unsure. One more issue is that from what I've read, my DVR may let down the quality of a new camera or will it be needed at all? Would it be best to upgrade our entire system?

I apologize if some of this can sound a little misinformed, I am not up with all of the latest technology anymore. I would really appreciate anyone giving me some advice on what sort of camera/ system we should be going for.

Kind regards,

odw13

Ip is just as reliable as analog. Anyone who tells you different is installing junk products or improperly installing.

IP cameras have nothing to do with the internet connection. NOTHING.

You will need a new NVR. Start reading and researching. Your currnt 400tvl system is crap.

If you dont want to run new cable, you can look at hikvisions TVI or dahua CVI systems that run HD over coax...

I beg to differ.

IP is never going to be as RELIABLE as Analog.

Reliable, yes if properly installed. AS RELIABLE, no.

There's a lot more failure point in a IP system than analog system irregardless of products brands or methodology of installation.

However, IP systems are more flexible and scaleable. Given the same resolution of cameras specified by same manufacturer, (analoge hd and ip) the image quality on an ip camera is normally sharper.

And unless you are going for those cloud storage system (which have even more failure points), internet connection shouldn't play a part in the reliability of the recordings.

For your use, if you are going to reuse the cabling, go for analogue-hd.

If you are going for a new system, depending on your budget, you can consider analogue hd or ip hd.

IP HD is normally more expensive.

Clarity of the footage also depends on your area of coverage. Consider going for more cameras if you are covering a large area.

Using just 1 wide angle camera for your lawn and expect to capture an offender's face @ 200fts away usually means you had been watching too much CSI.

This won't be possible unless you are using multi-megapixel cameras.

Hi, guys.

Thanks for the replies- and sorry for the delay in mine, I forgot to turn notifications on. Looking like it's probably best for me to upgrade to an IP system, then.

Will research and probably go for a Hikvision setup.

Thanks again for your time.

I beg to differ.

IP is never going to be as RELIABLE as Analog.

Reliable, yes if properly installed. AS RELIABLE, no.

There's a lot more failure point in a IP system than analog system irregardless of products brands or methodology of installation.

However, IP systems are more flexible and scaleable. Given the same resolution of cameras specified by same manufacturer, (analoge hd and ip) the image quality on an ip camera is normally sharper.

And unless you are going for those cloud storage system (which have even more failure points), internet connection shouldn't play a part in the reliability of the recordings.

For your use, if you are going to reuse the cabling, go for analogue-hd.

If you are going for a new system, depending on your budget, you can consider analogue hd or ip hd.

IP HD is normally more expensive.

Clarity of the footage also depends on your area of coverage. Consider going for more cameras if you are covering a large area.

Using just 1 wide angle camera for your lawn and expect to capture an offender's face @ 200fts away usually means you had been watching too much CSI.

This won't be possible unless you are using multi-megapixel cameras.

You can beg to differ all you want. I have seen you give improper advice in other threads here. I honestly think you dont know what you are talking about and make it up as you go. You statement that there are more points of failure in an ip system is FALSE. Its made up. You need to stop spewing this nonsense.

Take for example an IP system that is homerun to the NVR, how are there more points of failure????????????? First error.

In fact, IP systems can be made much MORE reliable than analog (SD card redundancy, multiple NVR redundancy/hidden (much easier to implement than multiple dvrs). It sucks when amateurs give advice to unsuspecting end users.

You can beg to differ all you want. I have seen you give improper advice in other threads here. I honestly think you dont know what you are talking about and make it up as you go. You statement that there are more points of failure in an ip system is FALSE. Its made up. You need to stop spewing this nonsense.

Take for example an IP system that is homerun to the NVR, how are there more points of failure????????????? First error.

In fact, IP systems can be made much MORE reliable than analog (SD card redundancy, multiple NVR redundancy/hidden (much easier to implement than multiple dvrs). It sucks when amateurs give advice to unsuspecting end users.

Boogieman your the one giving bad advice here. IP can be very reliable but there is many more moving parts then analog/hd analog to go wrong.

With IP cameras you have video processing, encoding and network card. Analog only has video processing as the encoding is done at the DVR. Once you have the video encoded on a IP camera then you have to dump that info on a network so now you have switches, routers, media converts, wireless links, network cards, ex.... Once you get the servers now you have to deal with Windows and everything else that can go wrong with a server.

IP camera systems have more moving parts then their analog counter parts so there is absolutely more failure points.

Boogieman your the one giving bad advice here. IP can be very reliable but there is many more moving parts then analog/hd analog to go wrong.

With IP cameras you have video processing, encoding and network card. Analog only has video processing as the encoding is done at the DVR. Once you have the video encoded on a IP camera then you have to dump that info on a network so now you have switches, routers, media converts, wireless links, network cards, ex.... Once you get the servers now you have to deal with Windows and everything else that can go wrong with a server.

IP camera systems have more moving parts then their analog counter parts so there is absolutely more failure points.

That's roughly what I meant. I didn't say IP is not reliable.

TS asked if they are AS RELIABLE as analogue, which in my opinion, they are not and never will be due to the existence of more point of possible failures.

Just take for example, each IP camera is also a web/video server with firmware (embedded software). Any software will have potential bugs, otherwise you'll not require software/firmware update to fix bugs. And some firmware which are not that well written can't handle exception properly and they hanged or slow down due to memory leak or some other reason. Just look at some NVR/DVR, they have a schedule reset feature to "increase stability".

So for a 4 Camera system, you have 5 devices running server firmware whereas compared to an analogue system which has only 1.

Even if all devices are equally reliable on it's own based (based on firmware), e.g. 99% reliability , for IP system, it'll be only 95.01% (99% pwr of 5) whereas analogue system is still 99% (law of probability).

I don't even want to go down the path of potential security flaw in the implementation of a NVR with directly connected ip camera, which is non existent in analogue system.

BUT as I mentioned, IP based system have it's own strength as well. So you got to decide based on your requirement and budget.

That's roughly what I meant. I didn't say IP is not reliable.

TS asked if they are AS RELIABLE as analogue, which in my opinion, they are not and never will be due to the existence of more point of possible failures.

Just take for example, each IP camera is also a web/video server with firmware (embedded software). Any software will have potential bugs, otherwise you'll not require software/firmware update to fix bugs. And some firmware which are not that well written can't handle exception properly and they hanged or slow down due to memory leak or some other reason. Just look at some NVR/DVR, they have a schedule reset feature to "increase stability".

So for a 4 Camera system, you have 5 devices running server firmware whereas compared to an analogue system which has only 1.

Even if all devices are equally reliable on it's own based (based on firmware), e.g. 99% reliability , for IP system, it'll be only 95.01% (99% pwr of 5) whereas analogue system is still 99% (law of probability).

I don't even want to go down the path of potential security flaw in the implementation of a NVR with directly connected ip camera, which is non existent in analogue system.

BUT as I mentioned, IP based system have it's own strength as well. So you got to decide based on your requirement and budget.

What you are saying is COMPLETE nonsense. I cant recall the last time I had to reboot an ip camera...What you are saying is only true of crap cameras. You make up probability numbers. STOP IT. You said that NVR/DVR cal lock up? what happens to all your footage when the dvr locks up? you have NONE. If you had an ip camera with SD card storage or a second cheap hidden NVR as a backup, guess what?

Your statement that IP is less reliable is FALSE. In fact, i have just shown you how it can be MORE reliable.

Your entire premise is based on using crap cameras with poorly written firmware...what garbage...its folks like you who have no clue that mislead others....just as you did in the other post recommending garbage wifi cameras.

Well, even Apple, Goggle, Microsoft software have bugs and security flaw.

If you never ever need to restart any IP devices or seen any IP devices restart by itself, you probably haven't use/seen enough of them.

One of the troubleshooting steps for any brand of IP equipment is always to do a power cycle (switch off and on or commonly call reboot/restart).

Would you consider Pelco, AXIS, Samsung, HIKVision, AVTech, Bosch, Vivotek, , etc system as crap equipment/brand ?

http://buildingskb.schneider-electric.com/view.php?AID=11841

Useful for rebooting a single Sarix Camera or Encoder if Sarix WebUI is non-functional...

note: Holding this depressed for 10 seconds triggers restore to factory default settings, which can be used to if a basic reboot attempt has failed to resolve a device functionality issue.

You won't need this troubleshooting instruction if rebooting to resolve a ip device functionality issues is never required.

Perhaps you could also recommend the perfect brand that you had been using that never ever need to reboot so that the TS could make a informed choices as well.

And for the other thread, the TS wanted Cheap and Wifi, what else would you recommend ? Your perfect IP equipment ? But is it gonna be CHEAP enough for that user ?

How to Choose Budget Level CCTV Camera?

Now..more peoples sale cctv and surveillance security equipment with advanced feature..but same time somebody want specific features only. ex.i need day time surveillance camera using small shop. with wireless connections.

so please ans..how i get minimum price. help us!

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=50776

Well, even Apple, Goggle, Microsoft software have bugs and security flaw.

If you never ever need to restart any IP devices or seen any IP devices restart by itself, you probably haven't use/seen enough of them.

One of the troubleshooting steps for any brand of IP equipment is always to do a power cycle (switch off and on or commonly call reboot/restart).

Would you consider Pelco, AXIS, Samsung, HIKVision, AVTech, Bosch, Vivotek, , etc system as crap equipment/brand ?

http://buildingskb.schneider-electric.com/view.php?AID=11841

Useful for rebooting a single Sarix Camera or Encoder if Sarix WebUI is non-functional...

note: Holding this depressed for 10 seconds triggers restore to factory default settings, which can be used to if a basic reboot attempt has failed to resolve a device functionality issue.

You won't need this troubleshooting instruction if rebooting to resolve a ip device functionality issues is never required.

Perhaps you could also recommend the perfect brand that you had been using that never ever need to reboot so that the TS could make a informed choices as well.

And for the other thread, the TS wanted Cheap and Wifi, what else would you recommend ? Your perfect IP equipment ? But is it gonna be CHEAP enough for that user ?

How to Choose Budget Level CCTV Camera?

Now..more peoples sale cctv and surveillance security equipment with advanced feature..but same time somebody want specific features only. ex.i need day time surveillance camera using small shop. with wireless connections.

so please ans..how i get minimum price. help us!

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=50776

You are obviously not that bright. I said I never had to reboot a camera. Yes its possible to be needed. Its extremely rare. You simply MADE UP numbers about reliability. If your DVR freezes or HD failes you now have ZERO video, how is that for reliability. There are troubleshooting guides for DVR's and analog cameras as well, does that mean they are constantly having issues? How silly...

I have hundreds of dahua and hikvision cameras in service. Again, if you are constantly rebooting your cams you are improperly installing them or using crap cameras. You simply made up your statistics. Very sad to see amateurs like yourself give improper advice. What about the fact that if the DVR fails you have NOTHING??? Your statement is FALSE. Stop misleading innocent end users.

Minimum price does not mean LOWEST priced crap.

I figured out why you push analog. That is all your company installs. On your website you push 720p analog as though its top of the line HD. What a joke.

What you are saying is COMPLETE nonsense. I cant recall the last time I had to reboot an ip camera...What you are saying is only true of crap cameras. You make up probability numbers. STOP IT. You said that NVR/DVR cal lock up? what happens to all your footage when the dvr locks up? you have NONE. If you had an ip camera with SD card storage or a second cheap hidden NVR as a backup, guess what?

Your statement that IP is less reliable is FALSE. In fact, i have just shown you how it can be MORE reliable.

Your entire premise is based on using crap cameras with poorly written firmware...what garbage...its folks like you who have no clue that mislead others....just as you did in the other post recommending garbage wifi cameras.

Boogieman you should really do a little research about electronics and to understand how IP video vs analog works before you bash people and call them stupid. You should completely dissemble single camera analog system and a single camera NVR/switch/IP camera system. Count how many chips there between the two and report back. IP is more complex then analog so there ARE more failure points. It is very simple.

Now IP video is more flexible and allows you to build in redundancy but that comes as a huge cost. You can setup VM based NVRs, SAN storage, fiber rings with redundant switches but this comes at a huge cost and and adds a significant amount of complexity.

Boogieman you should really do a little research about electronics and to understand how IP video vs analog works before you bash people and call them stupid. You should completely dissemble single camera analog system and a single camera NVR/switch/IP camera system. Count how many chips there between the two and report back. IP is more complex then analog so there ARE more failure points. It is very simple.

Now IP video is more flexible and allows you to build in redundancy but that comes as a huge cost. You can setup VM based NVRs, SAN storage, fiber rings with redundant switches but this comes at a huge cost and and adds a significant amount of complexity.

You should really understand that simply because someone has more processors and chips it doesnt mean that it has a higher failure rate. Its really that simple. The fact that you correlate possible failure points with actual reliability and failures is very troubling. Daryl simple made up stats. What a bunch of nonsense.

Analog is not more reliable. Its is pushed by those who want to make more profit. You bring up irrelevant nonsense like vm's, san and fiber when OP is dealing with a 4ch system. Really?? You dont need any of these. Stop making crap up and read the OP. Its really not that difficult.

Anyone pushing analog in 2016 (except in rare special circumstances) is cheating the end user. Unfortunately, members here push analog because they work for companies that sell mostly analog in installers who install mostly analog. Shame on them.

Also your statement about ip cameras having more "moving parts" is false and makes no sense. The fact that you bring up networks/switches etc, when we are dealing with a 4ch system questions your motives. Really sad and unfortunate that you are pushing analog in 2016...guess whatever pays the bills.

You should really understand that simply because someone has more processors and chips it doesnt mean that it has a higher failure rate. Its really that simple. The fact that you correlate possible failure points with actual reliability and failures is very troubling. Daryl simple made up stats. What a bunch of nonsense.

Analog is not more reliable. Its is pushed by those who want to make more profit. You bring up irrelevant nonsense like vm's, san and fiber when OP is dealing with a 4ch system. Really?? You dont need any of these. Stop making crap up and read the OP. Its really not that difficult.

Anyone pushing analog in 2016 (except in rare special circumstances) is cheating the end user. Unfortunately, members here push analog because they work for companies that sell mostly analog in installers who install mostly analog. Shame on them.

Also your statement about ip cameras having more "moving parts" is false and makes no sense. The fact that you bring up networks/switches etc, when we are dealing with a 4ch system questions your motives. Really sad and unfortunate that you are pushing analog in 2016...guess whatever pays the bills.

I have hundreds of dahua and hikvision cameras in service.

I respect that you have some IP cameras in the field but frankly I have single customers with significantly more cameras than you have installed. IP transport is more complicated than analog/TVI/CVI,HD-SDI you can try to argue differently but you are wrong.

I have hundreds of dahua and hikvision cameras in service.

I respect that you have some IP cameras in the field but frankly I have single customers with significantly more cameras than you have installed. IP transport is more complicated than analog/TVI/CVI,HD-SDI you can try to argue differently but you are wrong.

Dont really care how many you installed. You are wrong. There are lots of duchebag installers implementing 700tvl systems in 2016, and they install many more cameras than I do, doesnt make it right. Shame on them all. You have your own reasons for pushing analog. Point is IP is just as reliable is analog, even more so, with a simple sd card. You mention all the irrelevant network jargon to conflate the issue. This is a 4ch install, homerun to the NVR, none of the nonsense you mention is remotely relevant. Anyone recommending analog over ip because its more reliable is deliberately misleading the end user here.

Dont really care how many you installed. You are wrong. There are lots of duchebag installers implementing 700tvl systems in 2016, and they install many more cameras than I do, doesnt make it right. Shame on them all. You have your own reasons for pushing analog. Point is IP is just as reliable is analog, even more so, with a simple sd card. You mention all the irrelevant network jargon to conflate the issue. This is a 4ch install, homerun to the NVR, none of the nonsense you mention is remotely relevant. Anyone recommending analog over ip because its more reliable is deliberately misleading the end user here.

You do realize that those POE embedded NVRs have network switched built into them and they use IP to transport video from the camera to the NVR?

One of my largest customers still uses analog/HD analog for live view monitor because it is more reliable. They have figured this out because they have 1100+ IP cameras for recording and 100+ analog cameras for live viewing only. We service the IP system a lot more then the analog/HD analog.

Edited by Guest

If you dont want to run new cable, you can look at hikvisions TVI or dahua CVI systems that run HD over coax...

Referring to yourself ?

Just in case you didn't know, TVI/CVI is AnalogHD.

Google it instead of taking my words for it.

Btw, I never push Analog over IP. Using either depends on situation.

We are talking about reliability here. You said it is just as reliable, I disagreed as inherently, there's more point of failure.

Doesn't mean it'll fail, just means there's more possible way to fail compared to analog coax system.

IP setting could cause a cam to go offline, doesn't happen to analog (which include analog HD btw).

DOS attack could flood the network switches causing failure of video stream, doesn't happen to analog cabling (including analog HD).

Connecting a Network Device with the Same IP to the same network would cause ip conflict situation which will take camera with same IP offline, doesn't happen to analog system (including analog HD).

Firmware of IP Cameras might need to be updated to fix bugs, analog camera (including analog hd) doesn't have any firmware to updatem, if it works, it works. Firmware upgrade is not 100% foolproof. Equipment under going firmware upgrade sometimes failed during the upgrade process and require further steps to reload the firmware/kernel.

These among others.

For home use nvr + ip cameras, most people just plug and play. Plug and play means the default login of the cameras are never changed. Only the NVR is.

Any IP devices which is left in default settings will be less secure than those with setting changed.

As mentioned in other post, IP based allow for flexibility of deployment. You could add on equipment with less cabling work. Even using wireless is more secure as it's harder to find common standard secure wireless transmission equipment for analog equipment.

I use both IP/Analog depending on situation and also customer budget.

Redundant recording design , offsite backup, doesn't only applies to only 100% IP Based system. Other systems also supports it.

Referring to yourself ?

Just in case you didn't know, TVI/CVI is AnalogHD.

Google it instead of taking my words for it.

Btw, I never push Analog over IP. Using either depends on situation.

We are talking about reliability here. You said it is just as reliable, I disagreed as inherently, there's more point of failure.

Doesn't mean it'll fail, just means there's more possible way to fail compared to analog coax system.

IP setting could cause a cam to go offline, doesn't happen to analog (which include analog HD btw).

DOS attack could flood the network switches causing failure of video stream, doesn't happen to analog cabling (including analog HD).

Connecting a Network Device with the Same IP to the same network would cause ip conflict situation which will take camera with same IP offline, doesn't happen to analog system (including analog HD).

Firmware of IP Cameras might need to be updated to fix bugs, analog camera (including analog hd) doesn't have any firmware to updatem, if it works, it works. Firmware upgrade is not 100% foolproof. Equipment under going firmware upgrade sometimes failed during the upgrade process and require further steps to reload the firmware/kernel.

These among others.

For home use nvr + ip cameras, most people just plug and play. Plug and play means the default login of the cameras are never changed. Only the NVR is.

Any IP devices which is left in default settings will be less secure than those with setting changed.

As mentioned in other post, IP based allow for flexibility of deployment. You could add on equipment with less cabling work. Even using wireless is more secure as it's harder to find common standard secure wireless transmission equipment for analog equipment.

I use both IP/Analog depending on situation and also customer budget.

Redundant recording design , offsite backup, doesn't only applies to only 100% IP Based system. Other systems also supports it.

Guess english is not your first language. Did you not read a word I wrote? Do you not undestand what homerun to the NVR is?

Denial of service attacks really? Now you are proving how inept your are.

Wireless is secure? wow...I could take your wifi offline easily.

plug and play default? if the cameras are not exposed to the NET its the same as analog...you cannot reach the cameras directly.. wow, you really dont know what you are talking about. Sad. Your grasping at straws making silly arguments about default passwords..well you know what? if the default password on the ANALOG DVR is not changed then I could disable it as well. What do you think this is oceans 11, where the burglars are going to find your ip address and remote it? this has gotten to the point of idiocy.

You do realize that those POE embedded NVRs have network switched built into them and they use IP to transport video from the camera to the NVR?

One of my largest customers still uses analog/HD analog for live view monitor because it is more reliable. They have figured this out because they have 1100+ IP cameras for recording and 100+ analog cameras for live viewing only. We service the IP system a lot more then the analog/HD analog.

Yes and they rarely if ever fail. Not any more chance than an analog DVR failing. Simply stating that you service the IP system more often is meaningless are that system is obviously not a 4-8ch home run to an NVR..we know nothing about its components or how it was setup.

I figured out why you push analog. That is all your company installs. On your website you push 720p analog as though its top of the line HD. What a joke.

Thanks for visiting our website. If you actually bother to read carefully, there's HD IP Cameras packages as well. Look at the date of the promotion as well.

We actually do a lot lesser these type of simple camera installation over these last few years and focus more on specialized projects.

We're also in the mids of revamping the the website.

These involved standalone cameras installed in the middle of nowhere powered by solar and wireless network, time lapse images for construction process, integrating cameras with other sensors for measurements and data collection with customised software integration. And yes, we deploy a lot of IP Cameras in contrast to what you had thought.

This is a map display of one of the systems we had developed deployed since 2008 which monitor sensors and cameras images throughout Singapore.

287937_1.png

It uses both DVR with analog cameras and IP cameras integrated. IP Cameras wasn't that developed in 2008 to meet certain requirement of the project.

Yes and they rarely if ever fail. Not any more chance than an analog DVR failing. Simply stating that you service the IP system more often is meaningless are that system is obviously not a 4-8ch home run to an NVR..we know nothing about its components or how it was setup.

The more you argue this you worse you look.

The more you argue this you worse you look.

Right back at you. You are purpose misleading - the worst kind of agenda driven offender. Comparing service to a complex multinode system to a plug and play NVR. Wow. How low will you go to promote your garbage

Right back at you. You are purpose misleading - the worst kind of agenda driven offender. Comparing service to a complex multinode system to a plug and play NVR. Wow. How low will you go to promote your garbage

We install more IP cameras in one week then you install in a year and have experience with every major VMS and IP video camera on the market not just chinese government owned small 4 camera systems. You really need to understand what you are talking about and understand how IP video works before you "brag" about how reliable IP is over analog/HD analog/TVI/CVI/HD-SDI.

Do you not undestand what homerun to the NVR is?

plug and play default? if the cameras are not exposed to the NET its the same as analog...you cannot reach the cameras directly.. wow, you really dont know what you are talking about. Sad. Your grasping at straws making silly arguments about default passwords..well you know what? if the default password on the ANALOG DVR is not changed then I could disable it as well. What do you think this is oceans 11, where the burglars are going to find your ip address and remote it? this has gotten to the point of idiocy.

Guess you didn't read what the original TS said. One of the camera will be outside the house. This means that that camera cabling is exposed. Which means the whole IP Camera network will be exposed. For plug and play system, that's a expose risk. But then again, nothing to do with reliability. Most likely no one is going to hack into the system vie the that camera. But it's still gonna be a risk if you look from risk assessment aspect.

Thought you are the one thinking along the line of oceans 11 with all the hidden NVR, etc.

My exact words are "Even using wireless is more secure as it's harder to find common standard secure wireless transmission equipment for analog equipment."

Just using a Wifi Jammer would render all wireless network useless. Nothing difficult about it.

http://www.alljammers.com/jammers-shop/wifi-jammer.html

It's more about taking control over the whole network without the user knowing that require more technical skill.

Back to the original TS question of reliability.

You said "Ip is just as reliable as analog."

My exact words are.

"IP is never going to be as RELIABLE as Analog.

Reliable, yes if properly installed. AS RELIABLE, no."

I never said it's not reliable. If fact, I did said it's reliable if properly installed.

I just have a different in opinion from yours if you are comparing the exactness of the reliability.

There's no need for name calling.

And my advice to him was.

"For your use, if you are going to reuse the cabling, go for analogue-hd.

IP HD is normally more expensive."

Never said don't use IP Camera.

We install more IP cameras in one week then you install in a year and have experience with every major VMS and IP video camera on the market not just chinese government owned small 4 camera systems. You really need to understand what you are talking about and understand how IP video works before you "brag" about how reliable IP is over analog/HD analog/TVI/CVI/HD-SDI.

You need to stop bragging about how many you install. I learned long ago that volume does not imply skill or quality. Like I said, many installing are installing 700tvl cameras, more than you, doesnt mean they are doing it properly. You obviously are comparing a homerun system to a multi node system. How dumb is that. Based on your comments I would not trust you to install a doorbell. If YOUR ip solutions are so unreliable then you need to look at yourself not blame the technology.

Edited by Guest

Do you not undestand what homerun to the NVR is?

Guess you didn't read what the original TS said. One of the camera will be outside the house. This means that that camera cabling is exposed. Which means the whole IP Camera network will be exposed. For plug and play system, that's a expose risk. But then again, nothing to do with reliability. Most likely no one is going to hack into the system vie the that camera. But it's still gonna be a risk if you look from risk assessment aspect.

Thought you are the one thinking along the line of oceans 11 with all the hidden NVR, etc.

My exact words are "Even using wireless is more secure as it's harder to find common standard secure wireless transmission equipment for analog equipment."

Just using a Wifi Jammer would render all wireless network useless. Nothing difficult about it.

http://www.alljammers.com/jammers-shop/wifi-jammer.html

It's more about taking control over the whole network without the user knowing that require more technical skill.

Back to the original TS question of reliability.

You said "Ip is just as reliable as analog."

My exact words are.

"IP is never going to be as RELIABLE as Analog.

Reliable, yes if properly installed. AS RELIABLE, no."

I never said it's not reliable. If fact, I did said it's reliable if properly installed.

I just have a different in opinion from yours if you are comparing the exactness of the reliability.

There's no need for name calling.

And my advice to him was.

"For your use, if you are going to reuse the cabling, go for analogue-hd.

IP HD is normally more expensive."

Never said don't use IP Camera.

Yes because the burglars are going to hack into the system..your posts keep getting dumber.