root

Best way to focus a camera

I use my left hand but it depends on how the camera is mounted. Sorry I couldn't resist.

Use a spot monitor. There are many different brands/types. Best thing to do is a search of this forum. There have been many threads started in regards to ways of focusing and spot monitors.

Focus the Camera at your office first. Use a Viewfinder if you can, that way you can get the exact lens setting from the location and be able to set it to that at your office.

Otherwise use a Spot Monitor (9" at least) to focus properly, or read up on the "Camera Master" from FM Systems.

Portable Technician Monitors (small 5" LCDs) will not get you a perfect focus, but will suffice if you must, however they are generally just suitable for adjusting the camera view.

something that I was also thinking of today ..

Rich Mans Way::

Digital Camera with the Lens mm on screen - can xoom in and out and get the lens setting on screen the same time .... does it exist? anyway, so if it did .. when you do a quote worth it ... use that on a ladder ... set the lens and take a photo ... give that to the client . this is the exact view .. if you use Exreme CCTV give them the lens setting and order the camera PRE focused and set to that.

Poor Mans way ..

Ganz ViewFinder .. 4 Orange Cones. $99 Target Digital Camera (with MP3 player LOL). Using the orange cones and the ViewFinder, set your view. Once set ... 1 Orange cone @ far FOV, 1 @ Left FOV, 1 @ Right FOV, 1 @ Near FOV. Use Digital Camera and with the Orange Cones set inside the orange con e view to match .. take a photo ..Give that to the client ...

Well thats quoting a job ... .. anyway

Rory

We are a bunch of green horns at this stuff so this site has become an invaluable resource to me especially.

I work for a March Networks DVR reseller so if you guys have any questions, I'll do the best I can to answer them.